3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: insert install help  (Read 676 times)

Offline Hot Hap

• Trad Bowhunter
insert install help
« on: July 06, 2021, 11:25:19 PM »
 I have had 5 surgeries in the last 6 months with one more to go next month. As a result I have had to drop about 20# of DW. I used wood arrows since 1958. I got two dozen aluminium arrows but  have a heck of a time getting the inserts installed.

The shafts are 1916 and 2016. The inserts go in easy but the last eighth of a inch will not without a real struggle. I did the 1916 first and the only way I could get the inserts seatted was to screw them into the shafts.

The screwing would remove a ribbon of aluminum from the inserts, but then I really struggled to get them out to put the hot melt on them.The 2016 are the same. Am I missing something here?

My hands will not take another dozen times of this. Any help would be appreciated!

Hap

Online TIM B

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: insert install help
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2021, 07:06:23 AM »
Maybe the incerts are too big? Or maybe there is leftover glue inside the shaft from previous incerts?  Just some thoughts.....
Tim B

Online OldRawhide42

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2021, 08:25:16 AM »
Cut the shaft with a arrow cut off saw. Not a tubing cutter. Deburr the end . Clean the in side of the shaft with acetone . Screw the insert on a tip. Grab the tip with vice grips.     then heat only the insert . Then use hot melt.   

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2021, 09:13:04 AM »
Cut the shaft with a arrow cut off saw. Not a tubing cutter. Deburr the end . Clean the in side of the shaft with acetone . Screw the insert on a tip. Grab the tip with vice grips.     then heat only the insert . Then use hot melt.   

+1. A deburring tool such as this one should make it much easier to install the inserts.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Alexander Traditional

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2021, 10:23:03 AM »
I know exactly what you are talking about. Some inserts just seem too big. I took something like a dowel and wrapped sandpaper around it and smoothed the inside out. I've deburred and it doesn't help the problem you're having. I've also taken the inserts and hit them with a file. It's a pain,but it's all that will work.

Online BAK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2021, 10:24:11 AM »
Another option, I've had very good luck removing the "burr" with just a round chain saw file.  :thumbsup:
"May your blood trails be short and your drags all down hill."

Offline Hot Hap

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2021, 12:05:36 PM »
These shafts are brand new full length inserts are new in Easton packaging
Inserts fit just fine until last 1/8 inch and then it is get out your sledgehammer
I think I have a deburing tool somewhere in the basement, I will look for it and give it a go with that

Thanks Hap

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2021, 03:48:47 PM »
Not an uncommon issue IME. Just went through this the other day with inserts I took out of the shafts I was installing them in. I make sure both shaft and insert are hot enough then push them against the edge of my workbench. I use a rattail file to remove the burr and I rough up the inside of shaft. Then run a swab with DNA to remove any dirt.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©