3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Close call with a Mt. Lion!  (Read 883 times)

Offline just a bit outside

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Close call with a Mt. Lion!
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2008, 02:34:00 PM »
Curios as a cat! He looks like a sweet kitty, I'd have gone up and pet him. I bet he woulda liked that.

Greg
We should have shotguns for this kind of deal.

Jeff Carter Southern Draw 64" Hybrid LB 43@28/48@28
Zipper SXT Recurve/LB 58" 47@27

Offline laddy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2008, 02:50:00 PM »
Beautiful young cat and nice pictures,I think maybe it was just waiting for you to call a turkey in.  Mountain lions like turkey, even the few in Iowa eat turkey.  I don't think I want to shoot a lion though, although we have had a close call with our group.  shooting it didn't seem the right thing to do at the time.

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2008, 03:18:00 PM »
They prefer turkeys because of the oils in their skin and feathers.  Twenty yards? Perfect bow range!  He looked like he has been eating well.  I called one in while cow-calling a herd of elk. I didn't have a tag. From now on I always have one. The state says they kill on average one deer a week!
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline Charlie Cole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2008, 03:55:00 PM »
Good Lord! My dog looks at me like that- at dinnertime!

I understand not feeling right about shooting him, but I think I'da been wishing I had the Super Redhawk out, just in case. I'da probably had to swap out my shorts, too- no shame in admitting it.

Do lions respond to a blunt, or do you think you'd have had to kill him?

-Charlie

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2008, 04:01:00 PM »
wow!!!  :scared:
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2008, 04:10:00 PM »
Last fall I called in the neighbors house cat and he came and sat in my lap in the blind while I called in a bunch of hens. After the shot she sprang out of the blind and chased the missed turkey a few feet. Somehow I get the feeling this cat of yours would not be sitting in my lap and wouldn't have "missed" that hen!
Mike Davenport

Offline Taiga Recurve

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2008, 04:17:00 PM »
That is awesome. We have had 10-12 shot in ND in the past two years. It really makes walking out of the bush after dark a little more interesting knowing they are out there.

Great Pictures
"Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye.
Bowhunting is seeing how close you can get and never miss your mark!"

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2008, 04:33:00 PM »
Darned if that aint the coolest posting Ive ever seen here.Congrats on the pics.Controlled fear is one of lifes great pleasures isnt it?

Offline mikecc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2008, 04:57:00 PM »
You should have shot that varmint. He's showed a curiousity to people and maybe the next guy won't see it coming. I had a big boar black bear run into me a few years ago while rifle elk hunting and we had a face off at about 10yrds. I was easing into the trigger when he turned and ran. But this cat was definitely checking you out.

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2008, 06:09:00 PM »
I agree Mikecc. Once they loose fear of man it is time to take them out of the gene pool.

Offline theunluckyhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2008, 06:34:00 PM »
ohhh man i would have smoked that cat as soon as he got within 30 yards. i dont like kittys that are bigger than me....come to think about it i dont like any cats lol
anything can happen on a texas friday night, if you dont mind your manners you dont mind a fight

Offline Beepy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2008, 06:46:00 PM »
A similar situation made it so I NEVER go in the woods without a firearm.  I know it might be hearsay  with a bow... but... you know....

Offline Gehrke145

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2008, 07:35:00 PM »
I'm glad you like the pics!  It was a great morning.  I thought about shooting a few times but thought he had to get a little closer before I was in real trouble (plus I want my future lion dogs to have some action).  This area has a ton of cats.  No roads that people can drive on so the cat hunters dont go in.  I plan on hunting it alot when I get my hounds.  Theres also a ton on deer and elk in there now, I saw prolly 200 deer, and a 100 elk.  I'll never forget the way he moved so low to the ground so fast!! also the way he kept tabs on me while I left his canyon!  the only thing I heard was rocks slip twice.  If I didn't know he was there I never would of though otherwise.  It really makes me think though a few times last year when I'd be glassing deer i would move around to glass a diffrent ridge I'd cut tracks (only happened 2 times that I know of) makes me wonder if one was watching me then 2?

Offline Gehrke145

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2008, 07:42:00 PM »
Charlie Cole
not sure about the blunt, I'm a believer in having what will work in my hand instead of what might work lol, Just Like at work  :thumbsup:

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2008, 07:57:00 PM »
If this area has a "ton of cats" they will deplete the deer population and become hungry and even more aggressive. Be aware of this.

Offline Dave2old

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2008, 08:02:00 PM »
gehrke -- I live 15 miles from you and have hunted the same country for 28 years now. In all that time I've seen only two lions I can recall, and neither saw me ... but I'll bet quite a few lions have seen me and I didn't see them, as they're famous for hiding out and watching the world pass by. Having studied the cats a bit, I see no stalking behavior in your great photos, though it's understandable that with the cat moving toward and following you, you'd feel that way. According to both anecdotal and scientific info, because cats are relatively intelligent they are quite curious and frequently approach and follow people just to figure out what you're up to and what you are, and for entertainment. It's the cat we don't see that we have to worry about, since they are rarely face-to-face predators, but ambush hunters. Most cougar attacks on people have been either young male cats, starving because they've been pushed from prime habitat by dominant males and don't yet know how to kill deer,and females, also underweight for whatever reasons. The really big, fat and healthy cats (and yours looks healthy and relaxed) have no interest in us. And too, the primary targets for cougar attacks on humans have been small people, mostly women, moving fast ... like joggers. I envy you this experience and thanks for the photos. Dave

Offline Gehrke145

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2008, 08:32:00 PM »
Dave2old The pics dont do a good job of showing what happened Im kinda thinking your right though.  The only part that was uneasy was when he came down the bank (the pic when he was under the tree facing toward me) he lowered his profile and came at me fast!  Not sure if it was stalking or playing lol but it got the heart rate up a bit!  I can tell you one thing though I pretty sure if I would of ran he would of been on me!  The other cats I've seen just sat down looked at me a while and walked away prolly kept me in sight for a while but nothing this close.

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2008, 09:13:00 PM »
If a cat followed me, crouching, and stopping when I did, I would consider myself being stalked. Self preservation instincts would take over.  

Out of concern for myself and ANYONE who might travel where I just did, I would do my best to put and end to that cat.

An animal like that, is a bad egg. Common sense tells me he was at least sizing you up. Maybe the next person he meets, he might think he can take.

I would have put my longer range practicing to the test. Just being honest.

Great photos.

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: April 29, 2008, 09:16:00 PM »
Pretty cool,since it ended well!! Nice pics,maybe the quick move he made was to see if you would flee!
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: April 29, 2008, 11:01:00 PM »
Heck of a hair raising story! Never had that happen so I can't say what I'd have done. Somewhere in the mix would have been new underwear though.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©