3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Mixing feathers  (Read 202 times)

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Mixing feathers
« on: April 29, 2008, 04:17:00 PM »
I soon will be grinding my own feathers and was wondering if I could get away with one turkey feather and two goose, or will the difference in stiffness affect arrow flight?
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline hill boy

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Mixing feathers
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2008, 04:27:00 PM »
Geese fly faster than turkey's might fly side ways.  :bigsmyl:  Honestly I have never tried it.Good question!
Your best shot is only as good as your next one!

Offline Rufus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2008, 06:10:00 PM »
Geese fly higher too. Couldn't resist either. I bet it won't be enough difference that you'd ever notice. I fletched an arrow the other day (I know they be all turkey feathers) with some left overs I had, a parabolic, a shield and a low profile banana. Flies just fine. Conversation piece, but flies great.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Offline Bowspirit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2008, 06:12:00 PM »
I don't know about turkey vs. geese, but I have mixed and matched turkey primary and secondary feathers. Can't honestly say I saw any difference in flight...
“I read somewhere of how important it is in life, not necessarily to be strong, but to feel strong. To measure yourself at least once.”
                -Alexander Supertramp

"Shoot this for me."
                -Chuck Nelson

Offline SCATTERSHOT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2008, 06:20:00 PM »
I know a guy who used two plastic vanes and a feather for shelf clearance. No problems.
"Experience is a series of non - fatal mistakes."

Offline dino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2008, 07:13:00 PM »
A good portion of my hunting arrows are a mix between goose and turkey and have been for several year.  They are 4 fletched two goose two turkey. No issues.  Never 3 fletched any, so I don't know if that would be any different but I would expect it. dino
"The most demanding thing you can ask of a piece of wood is for it to become an arrow shaft. You reduce it to the smallest of dimension yet ask it to remain it's strongest, straightest and most durable." Bill Sweetland

Offline Jim now in Kentucky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2008, 12:05:00 AM »
Several of mine are fletched two goose and a turkey cock feather. They fly fine. I even think the goose feathers hold up a little better than the turkey when used as hen feathers.
"Reparrows save arrows!"

"But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he that cometh to God must believe that he is and that He is a rewarder of them that diligently seek Him." Hebrews 11:6

Offline Dave Worden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2008, 08:31:00 PM »
Haven't tried that but I have used 2 turkey and 1 swan feather.  Seems to work just fine.
"If I was afraid of a challenge, I'd put sights on my bow!"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©