3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Wish I knew about Trad Gang before!  (Read 211 times)

Offline Kevin Winkler

• Trad Bowhunter
Wish I knew about Trad Gang before!
« on: April 29, 2008, 05:11:00 PM »
I made the leap back into shooting traditional equipment about a month ago. I purchased a custom Zona longbow from Bill Griffen in AZ.

I purchased some Heritage 250 shafts and have been attempting to get them tuned    :banghead:
After reading several posts about the spine and tuning of the carbon heritage shafts I have come to the conclusion that I am way over spined with the 250's. I have 5 shafts that I cut at 32" with 125pts which were acting way stiff, so I found some old screw ins that weighed 175gr plus some weight collars to get my total point/insert weight at a little over 220gr. They bareshaft tuned better but still indicate to stiff. Looks like I will have to order some 150's to get more inline  with the spine that this bow likes. 64" - #54 @ 28". I draw to 28.5" which is 57lbs.
Looking forward to getting things tuned up and shooting. Missed two shots at turkeys last week? I have another tag for next week, hope I get this shooting a little better.

Thanks Trad Gang members for your help.

Kevin
PBS Associate, Ask me about The Professional Bowhunters Society; we stand for ethics.
Life Member, WI Traditional Archers
Life Member, WI Bowhunters Association

Offline MOstate

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Wish I knew about Trad Gang before!
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2008, 05:43:00 PM »
I have some Heritage 250's I finally them shooting right. I left them at 33in with a 125grn point. I shoot a Fred Bear Grizzly 55@28 and I draw to 29. My nock is a little lower than perfect center but they still shoot well.
Fred Bear Grizzly #55
"so, have you gotten anything with your bow without sights?" - Grandma

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2008, 05:56:00 PM »
A little off your point but you gained 3 pounds draw weight increasing your draw length 1/2"? That bow is STACKING. Also the bow must not be to close to centershot and you need a softer spine. You can add the 100 grain brass inserts to replace the aluminum standard insert to help soften it up.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2008, 06:00:00 PM »
IMHO - forget what the manufacturers and spine charts indicate for carbons and just go light, really light on the carbon spine.  I'm shooting .500 spine at 55# with a 29" shaft and 300 grains up front for 27% FOC, 4" four fletch lo profile with excellent arrow flight.  Oh yeah, they're those "cheap" Beman ICS Ventures.  :D

IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2008, 08:11:00 PM »
:readit:  What Rob said  :banghead:

Offline imskippy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2008, 09:13:00 PM »
Kevin, you could certainly try the 100gr inserts as mentioned already. It seams that having alot of weight up front is the norm these days. Congrats on the Zona LB be sure to post up some pics for everyone to see.  Skippy
Zona Custom T/D #1
Zona Custom R/D L/B #1

Offline Kevin Winkler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2008, 10:38:00 PM »
I ordered some 100gr. inserts from Three Rivers to give those a try. I might be a little heavy on that weight calculation at 28.5" draw, it's sometimes hard for me to scale a bow by myself. The arrows are now at 639gr and shoot at 154fps. I would prefer my arrows be a little shorter so that they are not so much into my sight picture. I was thinking that 639gr was a little heavy at my draw weight.
I'm still pretty green at this! I still am learning more everyday! I have been working on my form and conditioning everyday.
PBS Associate, Ask me about The Professional Bowhunters Society; we stand for ethics.
Life Member, WI Traditional Archers
Life Member, WI Bowhunters Association

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©