3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: ILF recommendations  (Read 1003 times)

Offline Southpawky

• Trad Bowhunter
ILF recommendations
« on: July 29, 2021, 10:32:09 PM »
Hey guys, I’m looking to purchase a ILF bow in the near future. Anyone have any recommendations for a good hunting one that won’t break the bank but will be a good shooting bow. and and also what is everyone’s opinions on riser length? I’m debating on a 19” my plans is to start semi-cheap, under $600 and then go from there once I figure out what I like. Thanks

Offline Wheels2

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: ILF recommendations
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2021, 05:00:46 AM »
ILF will allow you to mix and match risers and limbs to fit your needs so far as over all bow length, draw length, and draw weight.  Start by buying a good riser and cheaper limbs.  Avoid the Chinese copies. 
Handle and shoot as many ILF bows are you can.  Each riser is diferent. 
Wood or metal?  I like the ability to change grips on a metal riser.

What is your true draw length?  You need to know so as to best match the riser/limb combination.  I draw 28" so I favor a 17" riser and medium limbs.  60" rig.  I can also shoot a 19" riser and shorts but it is getting tight at 28", although still a 60" rig. But I can also shoot a 15" riser and medium limbs and this is a 58" rig.
Super Curves.....
Covert Hunter Hex9h
Morrison Max 6 ILF
Mountain Muffler strings to keep them quiet
Shoot as much weight as you can with accuracy

Offline ronp

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2021, 12:05:50 PM »
If you don't want to break the bank (and I don't blame you), you could look for a Black Bear Warf, which is an old bear riser that has been converted to ILF.  Then get limbs from one of the sponsors here.   I have one and it's fast becoming my go-to hunting bow.
Ron Purdy

TGMM Family of the Bow
MTB
NRA

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2021, 04:10:55 PM »
Keep an eye on the used market, lots of premium stuff at good prices !! Don’t be afraid to ask questions !
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline mjh

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2021, 04:32:36 PM »
I like wood risers.  I had the chance to try out several Dryad risers from friends in our local club.   Tried several different metal risers as well.

I was able to get a Dryad riser and now have two sets of Dryad limbs.  I could have gotten limbs elsewhere and I might someday but what I have is working form me now.  Dryad was sold to Stalker, I think late this past spring/very early summer.

I was able to get all my Dryad gear on sale.  They used to have a sale in November.  Once I decided I was going to go with an ILF set up I knew I would get a Dryad riser. I waited, saved my money.  When the riser I liked was available and the limbs as well I bought.   

I have a 17 inch riser with long limbs making a 62 inch bow.  62 inch bows have always been the sweet spot for me.

Find a riser you are happy with.  Many opportunities to buy used, both risers and limbs.

While I still own and use my two other Blacktail bows, I find the ever increasing costs hard on my wallet.  The ILF Dryad gives me long term options.   I'm as and sometimes more confident in my shots with my Dryad as with my Blacktails.

Bows are a bit subjective to the shooter but many people like one kind of bow over the other.........

Find what fits, what yea like.......get out there and hunt!

Offline Ken Sorg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2021, 12:53:27 AM »
I have the Samick discovery with the R3 carbon foam limbs and absolutely love the bow.

Offline R. Fletcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2021, 11:21:37 AM »
I have the White Feather Lark riser and Samick R3 limbs.  Total including shipping came in around $300.00.  Riser is 19" and makes a 62" bow with the limbs I have on it.  It is a very nice shooting bow and I doubt I could spend four times as much and get something that shoots any better.

Offline ESP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2021, 03:39:17 PM »
There are a lot of good options.  I just got a 110 dollar Ilf off of eBay.  A Hoyt Buffalo clone.   You can get a satori clone for a little more money.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2021, 06:30:28 PM »
I have this bow from Trad Tech (Lancaster Archery).

TRADTECH LOBO 17" CARBON ILF RISER

It is $499 without limbs. You can find used limbs for a couple hundred, I realize that is still punishing the budget.

I like grip feel and balance of this riser. 

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2021, 08:38:01 PM »
Have owned numerous ILF rigs...Am auite fond of the CD WF19....own two...both of mine were used...
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline Onski316

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2021, 09:46:31 AM »
I just picked up a 19" TBOW  (Hoyt Satori knock-off) and really like it. The riser was under $150. Only difference in the two is Hoyt's are machined billet and the TBOW is cast. I'm not that good of an archer to tell a difference in the riser makeup so it works very well for me. A good set of limbs can be had for $100-$150 range. Mine's outfitted with the DAS bamboo's that ran $149. Makes a 62" AMO bow. Super smooth and fast. I really, really like it and I'm all in at under $300.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©