3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Climber vs Hang on  (Read 2259 times)

Offline Petrichor

• Trad Bowhunter
Climber vs Hang on
« on: August 02, 2021, 01:44:01 PM »
Was big on climbers for years then just went to a tree seat. But I’m getting the itch for getting in the air again. Looked at saddles and they seem cool and expensive. But I started looking around at the lonewolf assault 2 and some sticks. Seems like you can climb many different trees that climbers wouldn’t be able to. Any mobile public landers using hang on stands for mobile setups?
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.
Fred Bear

Offline ESP

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Climber vs Hang on
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2021, 01:51:05 PM »
I have. Used the old lock on aluminum and hawk sticks.  Due to shoulder issues went to the lone wolf sit and climb.  Where I live I can climb most anything.  Lone wolf makes good products.

Offline JonCagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2021, 01:58:43 PM »
I have used both and I much prefer a light hang-on stand. The only limbless trees around here are poplars and they’re rarely in the right spot, plus the lack of branches means I am silouheted more often than not. Also the cables that stick out tend to grab branches when I’m walking to my spot. I use a millennium stand with a bracket that ratchets to the tree and you just slide the stand into the bracket easy peasy. Others here may have different experiences but if you watch some of the best mobile hunters, they are never using a climber.

Online Bowguy67

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2021, 05:38:10 PM »
I’ll never get how guys figure it’s less work than climbers. Clear trees, put a saw in your pack for some occasions, or if you have a bunch you could set em but you’d be limited. I guess in the fellows here situation it may be a good answer but id stay on ground if I had to climb up and down like that
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 57lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 52lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 53lbs
62” Robertson Fatal Styx 47lbs
64” Toelke Whip 52lbs
58” Black Widow PSA 64lbs
62” Black Widow PSA 54lbs
60” Bighorn Grand Slam 60lbs
60” Bear Kodiak Hunter 50lbs painted black. My uncles bow. He may be gone but his spirit isn’t. Bow will hunt again
52” Bear Kodiak Magnum 50lbs

Offline JonCagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2021, 05:45:10 PM »
In most states you can’t trim trees when on public land. Which is what petrichor asked about and is also true for my hunting. Also as I stated, transporting and setting up a hang on stand is much quieter than a climber, I would trade slightly, and I truly mean slightly, more work for the added stealth factor, using a lineman’s belt helps in setting the sticks, by freeing up both arms

Offline Petrichor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2021, 05:52:04 PM »
In most states you can’t trim trees when on public land. Which is what petrichor asked about and is also true for my hunting. Also as I stated, transporting and setting up a hang on stand is much quieter than a climber, I would trade slightly, and I truly mean slightly, more work for the added stealth factor, using a lineman’s belt helps in setting the sticks, by freeing up both arms

Yeah cant saw stuff on public. It just seems like a hang on allows you actually to get up many more trees different trees. The lone wolf assault has that leveling ability which looks awesome. Can’t tell you with a climber how many trees I have had to look at to get the one I want in the place I wanted. I watched a guy the other day with two lineman belts to traverse branches and it honestly didn’t seem like that much work. I just can’t believe I never considered a hang on before. Im also looking at the millennial m7 because I hike pretty far in and lightness is super important for me.  Any other recommendations and stick set ups also welcome.  Appreciate the input thus far.
Fred Bear

Offline JonCagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2021, 06:02:41 PM »
I went and looked and the m7 is the one I have, the bracket is really great. I use hawk helium sticks with it

Offline Petrichor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2021, 07:13:24 PM »
I went and looked and the m7 is the one I have, the bracket is really great. I use hawk helium sticks with it
Nice!
Fred Bear

Offline Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2021, 07:22:03 PM »
I use a lone Wolf climber and a lone Wolf Assault with 4 three step sticks according to the woods I’m scouting. 
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2021, 09:32:22 PM »
I use a lone Wolf climber and hang on.  Agreed that you're limited to straight trunked trees with a climber so the hang on is a bit more versatile.  I don't find the sticks and climber any faster or quieter to put up, but I have a greater selection of where to put it. 

Where I have to remove the stand at the end of each day, I'd opt for the climber whenever possible.  If I can leave the stand and return to it the next or later days, I'd opt for the hang on. 

Online MCNSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2021, 09:44:33 PM »
Been using a Lone Wolf Assault for many years. Great stand that can be put in most any tree , allows you to climb above limbs for better concealment. Probably 80% of the time I put it up and take it down each hunt. With that said I bought a LW sit and climb. Gonna give it a try this year , as i get older comfort becomes more important. We will see how it goes.
"What was big was not the trout, but the chance. What was full was not my creel, but my memory"
 Aldo Leopold

"It hasn't worked right since I fixed it" My friend Ken talking about his lawn mower

Offline smag

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2021, 03:38:59 PM »
Climber, go where the deer are.

I mix and match seat with nice big aluminum platforms. They have to pack well as i like to always walkin or maybe move from morning on a all dayer to another soot for evening. If you have a spot that produces year after year a lock on is gud too.

Hedge~
RLTW~

MAFA: Making America Free Again~

Offline Petrichor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2021, 03:50:23 PM »
Climber, go where the deer are.

I mix and match seat with nice big aluminum platforms. They have to pack well as i like to always walkin or maybe move from morning on a all dayer to another soot for evening. If you have a spot that produces year after year a lock on is gud too.

Hedge~
Interesting. I’ve looked at a few climbers also. My concern here in a new area is not finding right area for deer, but will the right tree be near the sign. Seem to be plenty of deer here. My experience with climbers has been positive in the sense that they are easy to use and can be very light. Though finding good trees has been problematic at times. What climber do you use smag?
Fred Bear

Offline smag

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2021, 04:00:23 PM »
I have some Summit seats and i like the big API platforms. Those aluminum platforms are tough and quiet. Summits platform in SD series to noisy for me.
 Some how i ended up with some summits like the small seats. Made a Hybrid with both brands and it packs well for me.

I hump a pack , stand, bow quiver always wether im going for 3hrs or 12hrs.

HH~
RLTW~

MAFA: Making America Free Again~

Offline Crittergetter

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2021, 05:34:50 PM »
I sold my climber years ago and bought a good quality lock-on because a lot of the best trees in the best spots I couldn’t use a climber. I kept being just out of range on many occasions because I had to settle for a tree I could climb with a climber.  I can put a lock on in dang near any tree...
Started playing with a saddle some last year and this year it will be my main go to for public land.
An elitist mentality creates discord, even among the elite!
"I went jackalope hunting but all I saw was does!"
Luck is when preparedness meets opportunity, I just need more opportunities!

Offline michaelschwister

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2021, 07:51:47 AM »
I have two lone wolf alpha climbers and two lone wolf alpha hang on with sticks setups. The hang ons with sticks can be setup nearly as fast as the climbers with sticks. I have 4 sticks with both my hang-ons, but 3 is usually enough. Lots of videos that show the technique to climb with one trip up the tree.  I find climbers easier and faster on public land, but I have been using climbers since 1976 and the hang ons for only four years. I often use the hang ons for a new setup and leave them up for more than one sit 
"The best thing to give to your enemy is forgiveness; to a friend, your heart; to your child, a good example; to a father, deference; to your mother, conduct that will make her proud of you; to yourself, respect" - Benjamin Franklin

Offline J. Cook

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2021, 10:05:11 AM »
This one comes up alot... I do agree the loc on and sticks make for a more versatile package.  I still prefer the climber.  I still challenge the notion that using a loc-on with sticks is faster and quieter than a climber.  I've done both and it's simply not true for me. 

They both have their place.  But the loc-on and sticks end up being heavier as a total package (weigh the actual package yourself and see...).

If your hunting area doesn't have good climbable trees, then your answer is a lock on with sticks.  If there are good trees than a climber is faster, and MUCH more comfortable.  Again I still challenge the fact that the loc-on with sticks approach is faster than a climber, if the user is experienced with both.

Another win for the climber is packing it all up after dark.  But I love the openess of hunting from a loc-on.

So...after all that, the answer is "it depends." LOL
"Huntin', fishin', and lovin' every day!"

Offline JAH518

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2021, 04:11:25 PM »
I primarily hunt public and use lock-on stands. Several of the stands I use are home made but I also have grown to love my X-Stand Jester due to the quick attach tree bracket. It is also extremely large, comfortable, and only 17lbs. I use 2 different climbing set ups, one is 3 Helium sticks "love them" and 2nd is home made rope and PVC ladders. The sticks I bring out after every sit the home made I leave in the tree until I pull the stand down. I have no fear of someone making it up the home made ladders to steal my stand. if they try I'll most likely find them at the bottom of the tree incapacitated.  :laughing:
Primal Tech 2pc 60" 44@28" longbow (my baby)
Primal Tech 2pc 64" 43@28" longbow
Wengerd Ibex 18 3pc 64" 49@28"
Toelke Pika 56" 2pc 45@28"
Java Man Elkhart 52" 2pc 46@28"
DAS HT-21 Uukha Irbis longs 40's
DAS Tribute 19" DAS 3k limbs
WF25 ILF Xtreme riser

Online kopfjaeger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2021, 04:50:29 PM »
I use both. My climbers are a Lone Wolf and a Loggy Bayou. My hang-ons are Screaming Eagles.  :thumbsup:
HE made me into a polished arrow & concealed me in HIS quiver. Isaiah 49:2

Offline varmint101

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2021, 05:30:06 PM »
I’d like to try the hang and hunt, but I’ve used a summit viper xls for 18 years. Works pretty good still.
Bless The Lord, O My Soul!

Member:
Indiana Bowhunter Association
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©