3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Starting an "all Texas " bow for duck'n  (Read 479 times)

Offline Dan Bonner

• Trad Bowhunter
Starting an "all Texas " bow for duck'n
« on: April 29, 2008, 08:50:00 PM »
About 9 months ago a tradganger from McAllen TX named Brian Payne posted a thread asking what Texas Ebony wood could be used to make. He and I PM'ed back and fourth for a while and the next thing I know a bunch of TX ebony logs showed up here in Houston. It turns out he had a bunch of limbs to prune in his and his inlaw's yard. Anyway we agreed that I would make him a longbow out of it and keep the rest as it is one of my favorite riser woods. Well I have already built several bows from it and tonight I started his. I decided to build his from logs from trees all cut in TX by me or a buddy or him. His riser will be TX Ebony, from his own yard, with Hill Country Cedar (actually a Juniper), and Osage Orange (cut in Lagrange). It will have osage cores, and Cedar belly lams, and it will be backed with S.TX Diamondbacks.It will also have a little carbon and glass. Ill post pics of the start and a few along the way as I build it after its done. I am also posting a few shots of other bows I built with Brian's Ebony. Kinda neet to be able to put something like this together for someone I met on this site.

The riser block and accent, core and veneer wood right after I cut it out. Notice all the scrap. Its tough to cut a square piece of lumber out of a log with my meger tools

The riser block. I love to use the pieces with sapwood and heartwood it looks really cool!

Another shot of the raw materials.

here is a shot of some recurve risers I made with Brian's lumber.(they are rough in this shot and there is no finish on them.)

And here is a finished LB I made from his Lumber.

Should be a fun project! Ill keep you posted.

Dan

Offline Pat B.

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Starting an "all Texas " bow for duck'n
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2008, 08:57:00 PM »
Neat stuff Dan, thanks for posting the pictures.

BTW, what exactly is Texas Ebony ?

Offline Ian johnson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2008, 09:02:00 PM »
Thats awesome!
ARTAC member
53@29 sheepeater shaman recurve
52@29 66 bear grizzly
51@29 dryad orion td longbow

Offline Dan Bonner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2008, 09:03:00 PM »
Pat,
It's a species of tree that occurs only in S. TX and N. Mexico. Very heavy and hard wood. Sometimes around 65#/ squate foot (heavier than Cocobolo or Mac Ebony. Not a true Ebony but very durable and beautiful wood, not to mention hard to come by.

Dan

Offline Aggie1993

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2008, 09:11:00 PM »
Simply geogeous!  Anyone happen to have the scientific name for that species handy?
Phil 4:13 "I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength."

Kempf Trophy Hunter 58" 51@28
Kempf Kwyk Styk 58" 51@28
Kempf Kwyk Styk 58" 54@28
Kempf Trophy Hunter 58" 51@28

Offline Dan Bonner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2008, 09:18:00 PM »
Scientific name Ebenopsis Ebano. Copy and paste this URL to learn more...  http://nativeplantproject.tripod.com/texas_ebony.htm

Offline duck'n

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2008, 09:19:00 PM »
Those look great Dan...I am drooling!  I feel like a kid waiting for Santa Claus.  I don't know if I am worthy enough of a recipient for this bow but I will try to live up.  Thanks again Dan, this bow will mean alot to me.

Aggie 1993...I have a book in my office that lists all the S. Texas brush, grass, and trees.  I will try to remember to post the scientific name for you.

Offline Dan Bonner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2008, 09:32:00 PM »
Send me some sheds if you have a couple Brian and I will make some antler limb bolts and riser overlays for it. You think I should find a way to use some Mesquite in this thing?

Offline duck'n

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2008, 09:55:00 PM »
Mesquite would be cool too if it works...I trust your artistic ability.  I have some sheds.  What size do you need and how bleached can they be...also, how many do you need?  I might have some extras laying around that you could use on other bows as well.  I have them in my garage in a box so let me know some general guidelines and I will send some along.

Offline Dan Bonner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2008, 10:03:00 PM »
Brian
Its best if they aren't too bleached. I could use about a Hundred or so. But as many as you are willing to part with is fine. Its best if they are 1 1/4" or larger across the burr.

Offline sticshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2008, 10:10:00 PM »
Very nice looking bow. Congrats to the maker and the lucky stiff that gets it LOL<><<><
The Church of God is an anvil that has worn out many hammers.

"Walk softly..and carry a sharp   Stic."
TGMM

Offline duck'n

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2008, 10:11:00 PM »
Dan, I will take a look.  I have two that are just too nice to cut up...especially considering one came off the Anahuac WMA.  I will send you whatever else is in there besides the dried out ones.  Thanks again.

Offline Lucas K

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2008, 10:34:00 PM »
If you can find a big enough piece, Texas Persimmon is a beautiful black wood, and a true ebony (genus Diospyros)

Lucas
Lucas Kent

Offline Pat B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2008, 11:32:00 PM »
persimmon ????   Hmm, I have several of those, may have to whack one down and have a look see..

Offline highpoint forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2008, 11:38:00 PM »
Where in Lagrange did you get your Osage? I have family from there.
Black Widow PSAX Bocote 57# @28, 58 AMO
Black Widow PLX Tiger Myrtle 60# @28, 64 AMO
J.D. Berry Osage Argos 60# @28, 66 AMO

Offline highpoint forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2008, 11:39:00 PM »
Where in Lagrange did you get your Osage? I have family from there.
Black Widow PSAX Bocote 57# @28, 58 AMO
Black Widow PLX Tiger Myrtle 60# @28, 64 AMO
J.D. Berry Osage Argos 60# @28, 66 AMO

Offline Dan Bonner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2008, 11:44:00 PM »
Yep,
Persimmon is an awesome riser wood. Very, very hard and pretty heavy. Problem is it takes a really big one to get that really dark heart wood. They tend to be 75%+ sapwood. The sapwood makes great core wood i'm told. It is nearly indestructable and can be used in carbon skinned limbs because it withstands shear forces well. I would love for someone to give me a big trunk to cut up. Would be worth a free bow if it is a big enough trunk.

Offline Dan Bonner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2008, 11:47:00 PM »
My buddy Wade Schwake (Stripstrike1)is from Lagrange. He cut it on his mom's land. Can't give you specifics as I have only been there once to split a bunch of osage into staves.

Offline gatorgar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2008, 12:03:00 AM »
That is going to be one very good looking bow you are getting there Brian.  You are going to let me shoot it right?  Please...
Sarrel's BlueRidge Takedown Longbow 3pc
62" 53#@28"
Easton XX75 400   250gr up front
Have you noticed that the times you don't get nothing while hunting, are usually the most fun you've ever had.

Offline Pat B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2008, 08:13:00 AM »
We'll have to look Dan.. There are about 1/2 dozen trees here that were around an old homestead. They are at least 40 years old ..

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©