3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Deer Season Expectations  (Read 2046 times)

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Deer Season Expectations
« on: August 03, 2021, 07:26:58 PM »
Deer season is soon to be upon us. Was contemplating the individual expectations of those in the Trad Gang family.

Perhaps, there are many that have expectations should be adopted as my own.

Was hoping that there would be many who would like to share.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Online Mike Bolin

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Deer Season Expectations
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2021, 08:54:00 PM »
Hoping to fill my tag with a mature buck this season. I am dedicating my season to my good friend Richard Jackson who passed away late spring from cancer. I am hunting with a longbow this season as Richard would've done. Been getting some trailcam pics of some nice bucks so I think that the habitat improvements my wife and I have been working on for the past few years are going to pay off. Good luck to the rest of the Gang!
Centaur longbow 62", 43#@28"
River Raisin Siren, 60", 41#@28"
Osage Selfbow 62", 47#@28
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline SlowBowKing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2021, 09:16:17 PM »
Every buck I had seen in the bean field or on camera disappeared three weeks ago. I’m guessing a neighbor started feeding corn, but I have no interest in that game.

Couple that with a broken toe that’s kept me from putting up blinds, moving my one ladder stand, etc., and several “life” things that are going to absorb my time this fall, my expectations for taking a deer couldn’t be lower!

But I will enjoy every hunt that I do get. That’s my main focus, and if I get the chance to harvest an animal, all the better.

-King

Compton Traditional Bowhunters
PBS Associate Member

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2021, 09:25:42 PM »
I'm expecting longer days.....

I used to head up the mountain at daybreak, then head down about 2 hours before dark, to ensure I had enough light to not fall & break something..... :scared:
This year I bought a new Ranger side x side!! Now I can ride up before daybreak, and ride down at dusk.... :archer:
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Online Bowguy67

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2021, 09:30:28 PM »
You know it’s all changed for me over time. I love mentoring so helping a kid would be cool. For a while I did the decent buck thing. I kinda can’t be as selective now. Had a brain tumor left me deaf, optic nerve hit so one whole side I can’t see or hear. I hope to film some, that should be a challenge. I can’t tell direction with one ear so if I pull it off it’ll be great. I’m def gonna try but no expectations on that.

My personal expectations are just to be there, to smell the fall leaves rot, to remember how I feel when I glue on broadheads, sharpen them, place them in a quiver and pack a bag.
I expect some dramatic skies as I walk in, moonlight dancing, clouds moving past, cornstalks rustling in the night wind.. I expect beautiful Sunrises I wish I was good enough to fully capture.

My face is numb, especially where I anchor so I gotta concentrate to pull off good shots but I expect to be at full draw looking at a buck, any buck or even a doe. I expect to follow blood pointing, marking it with a bow tip and I expect to be elated at trails end. I expect I’ll be thankful for all.  I guess I just expect to be a deer hunter and thank God we can be.
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 57lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 52lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 53lbs
62” Robertson Fatal Styx 47lbs
64” Toelke Whip 52lbs
58” Black Widow PSA 64lbs
62” Black Widow PSA 54lbs
60” Bighorn Grand Slam 60lbs
60” Bear Kodiak Hunter 50lbs painted black. My uncles bow. He may be gone but his spirit isn’t. Bow will hunt again
52” Bear Kodiak Magnum 50lbs

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2021, 09:47:12 PM »
Michael, For years I "shunned" a ride up the mountain... Bad hips & knees keep getting worse...

A fall could be life changing, to put it nicely. I messaged Ron LaClair back & forth while he was layed up with his surgery. Ron told me "Take the ride Chuck! We do what we gotta do... To do what we gotta do!" :archer:

The most important thing, is being there Brother!!!
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline TIM B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2021, 04:46:57 AM »
Have fun and not take it too seriously.
I retire in 3.5 weeks so that should help
Tim B

Online Zeebob

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2021, 08:19:32 AM »
I just want to have some fun. I would really like to kill a deer, any deer, with the take down recurve that my friend, Hunting Badger, built for me.  I won’t be picky, and I think I will have some fun…..

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2021, 08:42:54 AM »
This year I will live vicariously throgh the adventures written up on the Gang. I won't be able to hunt, but if you guys write good stories and include lots of pics, it will be all right.
Sam

Online BAK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2021, 09:41:13 AM »
I expect to enjoy the wisdom that being in the natural world provides, that and the peace and solitude it offers.  I know I'll see deer, never a season has passed that I haven't.  I also know I'll pass shots on many of them, that too is a given.  Maybe, just maybe one will look just right to want to take the shot.  I also hope to learn something, either about the natural world, or myself.   :coffee:
"May your blood trails be short and your drags all down hill."

Online Bowguy67

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2021, 09:55:33 AM »
Michael, For years I "shunned" a ride up the mountain... Bad hips & knees keep getting worse...

A fall could be life changing, to put it nicely. I messaged Ron LaClair back & forth while he was layed up with his surgery. Ron told me "Take the ride Chuck! We do what we gotta do... To do what we gotta do!" :archer:

The most important thing, is being there Brother!!!

Amen to that
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 57lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 52lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 53lbs
62” Robertson Fatal Styx 47lbs
64” Toelke Whip 52lbs
58” Black Widow PSA 64lbs
62” Black Widow PSA 54lbs
60” Bighorn Grand Slam 60lbs
60” Bear Kodiak Hunter 50lbs painted black. My uncles bow. He may be gone but his spirit isn’t. Bow will hunt again
52” Bear Kodiak Magnum 50lbs

Offline Trenton G.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2021, 10:53:47 AM »
I expect to get away from all the stresses of school and work for a while whenever I get the chance to go to the woods, and to appreciate the opportunities that I get to go whenever time allows. I never expect to get a deer, but I'm hopeful to get an opposite at one or two to fill the freezer and potentially the freezer back home if they are unsuccessful.
I expect to learn a bit more, just like I do every year, and to be able to apply that knowledge to future seasons.

Offline stik&string

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2021, 11:45:37 AM »
This year is all about my daughter finding success. Being stuck at home during COVID really got her interested in shooting with me seriously (she always shot but this was different). In fact, she built up enough muscle shooting that I am looking to bump her up in weight. I am hoping to put her on any deer we can get close to and for her to harvest her first bow deer.

For me it will be rewarding just to spend that quality time with my 13 year old, whom may not be as interested in these endeavors as she gets older.

Offline smag

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2021, 12:56:24 PM »
Hunting the HedgeHunter Custon Selfbow in KY and TN. Have a farm that needs 8-10 doe taken off it. Take a few of those early, say five would be a good start to season.

Any harvest with a selfbow is a feat in itself. Taking a more mature buck than I did in 2020 be tremendous.

Be nice to take a good West Ky buck with a HedgeHunter as well.

HH~
RLTW~

MAFA: Making America Free Again~

Offline Ark.Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2021, 02:45:30 PM »
well, i'll be 72 when the season comes in here, i'm looking to spend as many days in the woods as possible, and i'm sure hopeing i'll get a shot or two in the process, but if I don't, I guess there's always next year, I just love being out in the woods during the fall.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2021, 02:56:06 PM »
After all these years I would like to shoot one !!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Online PrimitivePete

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2021, 03:10:00 PM »
I'm just thrilled I have one week off from work to romp the woods, at this point in my life simply having a chance to go out is a victory, and having a chance to enjoy some peace is well worth it. I left my previous job after 33 years because in the end I needed to take a part of my life back. In my old job I was constantly on call, emails, phone calls, text messages you name it. Even when I was off it was as if I never left the office. New job, when I'm out, I'm out, see ya Monday.

Offline Terry Lightle

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2021, 05:36:24 PM »
Killum
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2021, 05:49:17 PM »
My only expectation is to enjoy all momma nature has to offer !  :bigsmyl:
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline Papajack

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2021, 07:11:47 PM »
As usual and for the past 45 or so years, I'm going to kill a Monster this year! Haha!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©