3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Broadheads for moose.  (Read 1869 times)

Online wood carver 2

• Trad Bowhunter
Broadheads for moose.
« on: August 06, 2021, 03:31:36 PM »
I’m starting to gear up for this year’s moose hunt and I’m thinking of trying a new broadhead. Right now, I have some Steel Force single bevel heads with steel ferrules and I have some Zwickey Eskimos.
They both fly great from my bows, but I would like to try a solid, one piece head that won’t fail on a bone hit.
Any recommendations?
While I have had plenty of encounters with moose, I have yet to get a shot at one. With my luck, they have been either too far for an ethical shot, or behind cover, or my favourite:18 yards walking slowly past me in the clear in pitch dark. 😕
Maybe this fall...
Dave.
" Vegetarian" another word for bad hunter.

Online wood carver 2

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Broadheads for moose.
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2021, 03:32:46 PM »
I forgot to mention, single bevel, two blade.
Dave.

Offline Alexander Traditional

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2021, 03:44:02 PM »
Never hunted moose before,but I have some cut throat that are exactly what you describe wanting.

I haven't killed anything with mine,but they fly great.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2021, 03:52:22 PM »
Don't know what you mean by "won't fail on a bone hit."  Any bone but a rib and the arrow is likely to stop.  Even moose ribs are fairly large. 

Might consider a Grizzly or perhaps an Abowyer brown bear or wapiti.  I also like a 160 grain STOS if you can find any. 

I killed the Alaskan Yukon moose in my avatar with a 4-blade Zwickey delta. 

Offline J. Holden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2021, 04:18:26 PM »
I have never used them but I am shooting VPA's this year.  I think you'd find what you're looking for in a VPA, Cutthroat and Tuffhead.  I'm trying the 3 blade VPA this year and so far I'm very happy with their tuning and sharpening.  Oh, and that tanto tip I think is super important also (yes, I'm an Ashby believer).

-Jeremy :coffee:
Pslam 46:10

"A real man rejects passivity and takes responsibility to lead, provide, protect, and teach expecting to receive the greater reward." Dr. Robert Lewis

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2021, 05:07:43 PM »
I have never hunted moose, but do know they are big and tough. It seems, though, that any very sharp and well placed cut on contact arrow will do the job. Out of curiosity, what did Fred Bear kill his big game animals with? I know a lot of jurisdictions have minimum broadhead size requirements.
Sam

Online wood carver 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2021, 05:54:42 PM »
I should have said a bone hit such as a center punched rib or the wide part of the scapula. A hit on a major bone would be bad news for any head.
Thanks for your answers. I’ll start looking into the heads that you recommended.
Dave.

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2021, 07:43:49 PM »
Abowyer is as good as it gets for moose.

Online The Whittler

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2021, 08:20:21 PM »
If they work on deer they will work fine on moose.

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2021, 03:43:50 PM »
I'm a Bear Razorhead guy!! That being said...
I have bent a lot of Razorheads over 40 some years.

I have a few dozen Zwickey Eskimos and they are TOUGH!! The mountain we hunt is a huge rock knob. Slate and Shale, with a little dirt on top. If you miss, You have a buggered up head! However, I have never bent one, and I can usually get it back in business with a file. A plus, I mount them horizontally, and they fly exactly the same as my 125gr field points. When my old Razorheads are gone, I think I have enough Eskimos to last my lifetime...  :archer:
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline acolobowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2021, 10:06:30 PM »
If your looking for a very tough 2 blade broadhead (single bevel) do check out the Rocky Mountain Cuttroat's.  I used them in Namibia and was very impressed.  For many years I have shot Zwikees's which are a good broadhead, but the Cuttroat is built tougher and more strength all the way out to the tip.  I shot 6 animals in Africa and shot completely through every animal.  Even hit some concrete when shooting at a guinea, and not a scratch on the broadhead.  There are several different weights.  I was shooting a 200 grain head, with 100 grain insert.

Online wood carver 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2021, 09:16:18 AM »
Thanks for all the replies. After looking at all the various broadheads, I ordered a set of cutthroats.
Now I need to get back into shape and shoot every day.
Dave.

Offline Deertaker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2021, 09:55:36 AM »
Good luck on your hunt! I got my tag for moose here in Alberta and hope to have some luck!

Online wood carver 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2021, 10:05:22 AM »
Good luck to you too. Alberta is on my list of places I would like to hunt. A couple of friends of mine have moved out there recently. When they find a few places to hunt, I’ll try and get out there.
Dave.

Offline acolobowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2021, 11:21:23 AM »
PM me when you get the Cuttroats and have had a chance to shoot them and let me know what you think of them.  I found the addition spine down the middle of the head made them much tougher than most 2 blade heads.  They shot great for me without making any adjustments.

Online wood carver 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2021, 11:42:38 AM »
PM me when you get the Cuttroats and have had a chance to shoot them and let me know what you think of them.  I found the addition spine down the middle of the head made them much tougher than most 2 blade heads.  They shot great for me without making any adjustments.
Will do. It might be a week or so till they get here.
For now, I am practicing with my steel force heads. They’re the same weight as the cutthroats I ordered. I’m hoping that they fly the same or better.
Dave.

Offline acolobowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2021, 12:05:33 PM »
I think you will be pleased with them.  They seem easy to touch it after shooting them into targets and getting them ready for hunting.  I took 2 dozen with me to Namibia, but didn’t need nearly that many.  I took 6 animals with only a couple heads.  I put a dozen in each piece of luggage just in case a bag got lost.  The rest will last me many years.

Online wood carver 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2021, 12:44:47 PM »
👍🏻

Online Gun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2021, 08:18:18 PM »
For what its worth. I've shot a few moose w cutthroats. Best blood trail I've had w a two blade. Last years bull was w a Zwickey Delta. Died in sight. Moose is my second favorite big game to hunt w a bow.
Good Luck!
It's really simple. Just don't take those borderline shots. Tomorrow is another day.

Offline dhaverstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2021, 08:48:28 AM »
When I was gearing up for my first moose hunt, I started worrying about tip curl if I hit a rib. I hadn't bought completely in to all the single bevel hype at the time but the science seemed sound so I bought some Cutthroats for my adventure. I figured that anything I could do to stack the odds in my favor would be a good thing. Man, was I glad I did!

I shot a moose at a little past 10 yards and hit a rib going in. Just like advertised, the broadhead spun after impact and widened the crack enough to allow the arrow to continue to penetrate. He went about 100 yards before keeling over. I was sold on single bevel broadheads after that!

Incidentally, my hunting partner found my arrow the next day so I was able to clean it up and return it to my quiver. About a month later, I killed two whitetails with that same arrow in three days. The second deer fell on the shaft and broke it in half. I was really sorry to see that arrow go!

Darren

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©