3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: A Strong Suggestion from Barry Wensel  (Read 842 times)

Offline Barry Wensel

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
A Strong Suggestion from Barry Wensel
« on: April 29, 2008, 11:00:00 PM »
Girls keep diaries, guys keep logs or journals. When I first moved to Montana in 1973 I kept daily notes on my annual findings. I did so for close to twenty years. I lost the first ten years or so when a water pipe broke in my basement. I lost the next ten years or so, along with a dozen custom bows and most of my trophies, in our storage unit fire in 1999. Yesterday, I was going through an old briefcase looking for something and came across four cassette tapes that have been lost in the shuffle. Two of them were hour long conversations I had with Roger Rothhaar. One from 1974 and another from 1976. Besides them I found two 90 minute cassettes I recorded about my entire 1982 and 1983 hunting seasons. I started out with "I'm recording this for posterity while it's fresh in my memory." Then I went through the highlights of my entire September, October and November. I cannot tell you how much I enjoyed listening to it. Priceless! There were literally DOZENS of great memories I had totally forgotten about. I found it extremely interesting how I've changed over the years. Equally interesting, there were occurances I couldn't recall at all and others I remembered in vivid detail by just closing my eyes and listening to my own words. One thing I wish I had done moreso was to mention what equipment I was using at the time. I failed to do that. My suggestion to you younger bowhunters would be for you to start doing this for yourselves. Don't just write it down but actively record yourself either via tape or on camera making it more personal. The excitement in my voice when recounting the hunts was something you'd lose in writing it. It basically took an hour and a half out of my life each year to record something that now, almost thirty years later, is priceless to me. Do yourselves and your families a favor and make duplicates. Story them away in a little box in two different locations for safe keeping. Then just forget about them for 25 or 30 years. I guarantee you'll thank yourself and you'll thank me for suggesting it. Now, go make some memories. BW

Offline Weekend Warrior

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: A Strong Suggestion from Barry Wensel
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2008, 11:04:00 PM »
Barry
Great Idea.
And I thought Gene was the smart one   :D

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2008, 11:04:00 PM »
Great advice.

A few years ago I bought a small, digital audio recorder. It's great for taking field notes that I can downlaod to my PC, burn to CD and transcribe when I get the time.

Offline PowDuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2008, 11:05:00 PM »
I used to keep a journal of my hunts several years ago then just got lazy. I do need to start doing that again. Thanks for the reminder, Barry.
Romans 8:28

Offline Tom Mussatto

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2008, 11:15:00 PM »
Excellent advice Barry. I hope folks take it. It's so much easier and cheaper to do these days than 40 years ago.

I was extremely fortunate in that my Dad and two of my uncles were filming before I was born. My Granddad passed away when I was 9 but I have great footage of small game hunts I had with him and Dad.

You're right. This stuff is priceless, not just to me but to my kids and grandkids and who knows after that.
Tom Mussatto

Offline Dan in Poulsbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2008, 12:02:00 AM »
Barry,

Thanks for the wisdom. I think the enthusiasm that blessed you will also touch our children and grandchildren. It may be the mystery that draws them to the special experience of the real world. Now some type of recorder is on my list for 2008.

Thanks

Dan Olson

Offline thp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2008, 12:38:00 AM »
Barry, good stuff.  Will do that.
Be kind and merciful. Let no one ever come to you without coming away better and happier. -Mother Teresa

Offline Kingwouldbe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2008, 01:24:00 AM »
I like the video Idea if you could see your self 30 years ago with the sparkle in your eye recounting how existed you whir when recounting that season.

I will do it.

Cool B-man

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2008, 06:25:00 AM »
In the end, all we really ever have is memories.

Since my kids have become hunters instead of spectators, I have been writing a journal. A new entry only takes a few minutes, but I spend alot of time reading the entries that are already there. Details can fade in a very short time.

The video idea is better yet.

Best advice I`ve gotten in a long time.

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2008, 07:07:00 AM »
Barry, Along that same line, my father-in-law was a surgeon in Patton's mash unit in WWII.  That unit went every where Patton went!

He never talked about it until his club had a Army-Navy night were a few veterans talked about thier war experiences.  He had a hard time trying to get a 15 minute talk so he re-encountered his war experiences to the family for the first time.  We never new that he was in Hitler's Eagle Nest (he ripped off a soap dish from the wall  :) , opened up two concentration camps, learned about fixing broken legs with metal rods in the middle of the bone from an Xray of a German prisoner (German doctors had already perfected that procedure), on & on. He later became of of the first five orthropedic surgeons prefect the first total hip procedure.  

He has passed away now...BUT I filmed that entire evening while everyone watched.  I can't tell you how priceless that tape is!

Thanks Barry, you never know what will be one of your priceless mementos in the future...Doc
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2008, 07:14:00 AM »
AMEN!!  :readit:  
Killdeer  :thumbsup:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline dino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2008, 07:16:00 AM »
My granpa and uncles would many times set a tape recorder on the table at night during hunt.  They would talk about all kinds of stuff.  Stands, equipment, experiences, lessons.  Just normal dinner table hunting camp conversations.  I know it is great to listen to them 30+ years later. Great idea to do. dino
"The most demanding thing you can ask of a piece of wood is for it to become an arrow shaft. You reduce it to the smallest of dimension yet ask it to remain it's strongest, straightest and most durable." Bill Sweetland

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2008, 07:59:00 AM »
Uncle Barry , thanks so much , you inspire me so much , I love this idea and plan to make it part of my hunts from now on. thanks Barry...Mark#78 ...That must have meant so much to you after these all these years, thats a blessing ...peace   :wavey:
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2008, 08:18:00 AM »
Yeah...Barry's right.......and I kick myself a lot for not taking pics all those years!!!

I started taking pics about 5 years ago when we started Trad Gang...and I realised how much they can mean down the road.  I now take more pics that I probably should...but I always seem to get enough to tell the story.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Arwin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2008, 09:09:00 AM »
I started keeping a journal in 02' with all the wind, weather, moon phase, temps, and barometer. It has been a huge help in determining a pattern according to the weather and  when to  hunt a certain location. I think the entries when things didn't go right are way more entertaining.  :biglaugh:
Just one more step please!

Some dude with a stick and string chasing things.

Offline Grant Young

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2008, 09:35:00 AM »
I agree with Barry and Terry- it'll become more precious with each passing season and I could kick myself for not having been more faithful in documenting the time that can't be lived over. Forty years of "once in a lifetime" experiences hanging out there and I wait 'til I can't remember what I came to the store for to realize have valuable they are to me and how much a record would mean to my sons. Thanks for the reminder Barry.                     Grant

Offline Jason Jelinek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2008, 10:25:00 AM »
I've been doing it for about 8 years now.  The last 5 years have been electronically.  Good stuff for sure.

Jason

Offline Rufus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2008, 10:55:00 AM »
So true. My wife tells me the best pictures are the ones kept in your head but I have a very difficult time showing those to anyone. I take pix and have them on my computer and periodically copy them to cd's and backups.
 I should keep a journal also but I don't. Somethings I'd just soon forget but there be no since in writing them down cause I ain't gonna forget 'em anyway. Like the buck that didn't know I was there. Problem was I didn't know he was either. He be much, much quicker than me at 10 yds. Lesson learned without written documentation. I do know what you guys are talking about, tides wind rain, temp and all that stuff. Good turkey huntin' ya'll.    :archer:
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Offline Boneyard Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2008, 12:13:00 PM »
Barry I started keeping a journal of every time I go to the woods to stump shoot, hunt, or just hike. I note the date, time, weather conditions and any animal sightings or sign. After a while you start to see patterns of where and when critters move and what they are looking for. I also take my digital camera to take pictures. Take Barry's advise guys and make some great memories.
The size of the horns don,t matter
as long as it has a good tale.

Offline PA stickbow boy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2008, 12:35:00 PM »
great idea Barry!!!!  i need to do that, especially when i spen time in the stand w/ my grandfather and he's telling me all his old hunting stories.  i still like them eventhough i've heard them many times over
Keep the sun at your back and the wind in your face.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©