3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Need help with checks in a BBO glue up  (Read 153 times)

Offline Flinttim

• Trad Bowhunter
Need help with checks in a BBO glue up
« on: April 30, 2008, 12:12:00 PM »

I found these after taking the blank off my jig. I'm sure they are drying checks and they showed themselves after reflexing the bow in the jig during glue up. I have filled them with super glue and clamped them. I'm sure hoping to save this one as it turned out real nice, except for the checks of course. Any tips would be appreciated. I hope to not have to do a sinew wrap as it will take from the looks of the bow. I am considering putting the nocks in and on the end with the checks, doing a sinew wrap down inside of the nocks themselves. A later nock overlay would hide most of it. I'm hoping that since the wood affected will be under compression and not tension it will work. I'm depending on you folks to bail me out here, thanks . Tim
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Need help with checks in a BBO glue up
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2008, 12:19:00 PM »
I wouldn't worry about them, the bamboo is doing almost all of the tension work and will hold down any splinters.  Just keep an eye on them as you tiller.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Flinttim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2008, 05:28:00 PM »
I am considering working the tips to near dimension and wrapping the one with sinew just to see how it goes while tillering. If I can come up with a neat wrap of some type that would go with the bow I would but right now about anything seems kinda ugly.
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Flinttim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2008, 06:34:00 AM »
ttt

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2008, 09:15:00 AM »
Side checking wood is a pain because in my experience it will continue to side check no matter what you do.

I put some serious work in a sinew backed osage bow that showed a side check in the handle area when I roughed out the bow. When the sinew dried it pulled the wood apart.

Having poor luck with side checked wood in the past I should have picked a better piece of wood.

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2008, 09:42:00 AM »
I ran into some side checking on BBO's when getting slats pre cut from high humidity regions of the country, now I seal the sides as soon as they arrive.  When they do check, I have been able to fill the cracks with Zap-A-Gap (thick super glue) and ignore them from that point on.  Like John said the bamboo will take most of the tension.
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©