3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Good luck NY turkey hunters  (Read 1360 times)

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Good luck NY turkey hunters
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2008, 04:26:00 PM »
Today was better than the first day sorta. This morning it wasn't raining so I thought what the heck I'll try it again. I went to a different spot it's my go to spot and always holds turkeys, I left real early again it is a long hike back almost to long with all the gear that I bring. I walked in about 200 yards or so and started to set up, it was pitch black and I used a flashlight to get set up, while I was setting up I thought I heard wings flapping, I thought to myself it's probably crows. After i was done I had a cup of coffee and was just enjoying the morning, then I heard the wings again and what sounded like turkey droppings hitting the ground, I thought well if it is turkeys they must know that I'm here and I wont have a chance of calling them in. Next thing I hear the wings again so I call real soft with a slate I might add because I left my mouth call in the fridge   :thumbsup:  the one stopped at 15 paces I drew picked a spot(or so I thought) released and missed him clean. They just kind of walked around but were now out of range they acted as if nothing happened and even started gobbling awhile later but only to the crows. Even though I missed it was still a good time. I'll try them again on Sat. bright and early.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2008, 08:23:00 PM »
Atleast ya got a shot Jim! Why ya keep your mouth call in the fridge anyway?
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline Tim Kosteczko

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2008, 10:28:00 PM »
had some luck this morning...!!!
got home from school for the weekend around noon yesterday and made all the final preparations on all the gear. was sitting at the table with everything laid out just before bed and noticed i had only put my primary broadhead in the quiver (almost a BIG mistake) so i added another, set the alarm for 3:30 and went to bed.

got the blind up, decoys out, and seat set up, with a little more than a half hour to let everything quiet down. i just didn't realize that it would be that quiet for that long. by ten after six i had heard 2 gobbles way off in the distance. but just then i look up and suddenly there is a hen in the field in front of me. then three jakes step out of the brush behind her. she did not take long to walk within ten yards of the blind on her way to the adjacent field, paying zero attention to me or the decoys.
The jakes were in no hurry to follow in her footsteps. they spent the majority of the morning trying to dry themselves from the wet night. after almost 40 minutes the three had wondered to within ten yards and the string was coming back. i release and get nothing but air the bird stops and... looks back. he attempted to figure out what the line that was all around him was (from my string tracker[note to self the traker doesnt do much when you miss]) just long enough for me to get that aforementioned second broadhead out. without thinking about the shot, "instinct" took over and a second arrow was on its way, this time finding it's mark. he did manage to run off about 80 yards and get into some thick stuff where he proceeded to tear himself to pieces in the brush and ruin any chance of a good picture.
He has a 3.5 inch beard but i couldn't be happier as he is my first with the recurve!!
i packed everything up, grabbed the bird and  walked over to where dad was set up and just walked up to his blind with the bird thrown over the shoulder. as i get close i cant even see him (wearing black is the key!)but i hear him laughing, it was perfect lol.

Good luck to all, i will add a pic Sunday night

Offline Huntrdfk

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2008, 10:32:00 PM »
Awesome Tim, congrats on a great hunt!  :thumbsup:  

David
TGMM Family of The Bow
PBS Regular Member
Comptons

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Offline twosheds

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2008, 11:01:00 PM »
Good luck to all!!! Tripper
Bob Lee Hunter Recurve 55# @ 29''

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2008, 03:44:00 AM »
Way to go Tim   :thumbsup:  great story to bad that he was tore up we like to see pics. Jamie, I keep them in the fridge because it helps preserve the latex if you rinse off your mouth calls after each day and keep them in the refrigerator they will last for years, when i get a call that sounds good I want to keep it for as long as I can.

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2008, 04:57:00 AM »
I send Tim a text on the way to work yesterday morning...How's it going?  Tim...."Nothing but fresh air".  So I wished him good luck and just when I was pulling in to work I get another one with a picture  attached....He made my day!!!

Congrats bro, you did real good!!!

You're right about the tracker,but it does help finding your arrow    :biglaugh:
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Tim Kosteczko

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2008, 08:25:00 AM »
thanks guys,
curt, when i got you first message i had the jakes out in the field heading my way, but i didnt wanna get the both of us excited by saying something and jinixn it. guess it was a good idea lol.
good luck everyone!

Offline J.Williams

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2008, 10:15:00 AM »
Congrats Tim,that's so cool.Got a big one Thurs. morning but it was with the scattergun...gotta get a blind and try it with a bow like the rest of you.Good luck everybody and look for ward to seeing your pic,Tim.   :clapper:

Online woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2008, 10:19:00 AM »
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!   :clapper:
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline SteveMcD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2008, 10:34:00 AM »
Good Luck to all of you! Have a Safe & Successful Hunt!  

Well, I posted a while back for advice about diaphram calls. Got lot's of good advice, but I could never get over the fear of gagging or choking on the darn things. I am a better caller with a box call though.

Anyway, I went out yesterday morning for my annual ONE morning spring gobbler hunt. A little damp and rainy but the rain stopped by daybreak. It felt great to be back in the woods again since last fall, with the sights, sounds and smells of nature. After two hours I was working two different Toms you could tell one was definitely a large bird. Anyway, the only thing that actually came close enough to check out my decoy was a Bobcat! That made the morning worth while.  

Anyway, guys and gals.. I couldn't get it done. So I leave the population undistributed and undented to you all. For me, spring will always be flyfishing amd trout!

Good Luck to All!
Someday you and I will take the Great Hart by our own skill alone, and with an arrow. And then the Little Gods of the Woods will chuckle and rub their hands and say, "Look, Brothers. An Archer! The Old Times are not altogether gone!"

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2008, 11:55:00 AM »
Congrats Tim! Where's the story and pics?
Jim, I keep mine in mouthwash while hunting, it keeps them tasting nice, but it also keeps them moist which is important for calling. Never thought of the fridge. Do you store them wet or dry?
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2008, 12:12:00 PM »
Well...me and the Cobra have had one close encounter on Thursday and some action today.

Working until 2am then getting up around 7am...I headed out Thursday. Setup and planned on sitting til noon. Good area....around 10:30 a gobble shattered the woods below. I worked this bird for over 20 minutes, he was no more than 20 yds away but never topped the small ridge I was sitting on. I could hear him walking but I believe since I don't use a decoy, he might have popped his head up, didn't see anything and stayed low. He finally clammed up and eased out.

This morning, in the damp rain was tough. Worked til 2:30am...hit the sack around 3am...up at 7. I
decided to just sit and yelp cause I find in this type of weather, toms usually come in silent. I was in a small patch bordering 2 over grown fields...the birds love these on rainy days. Must be filled with bugs...

It was close to 11:30 when I spotted 4 hens and a nice tom working towards me. The tom was displaying like a champ but the hens were busy feeding. I softly yelped and purred and brought them within 30 yds but they had other plans. They kept walking, through the woods and across some property I can't hunt. Nice tom...probably a good 7" beard but FAT.

Sunday .....keeping my fingers crossed. I want this little Browning Cobra to spit a Snuffer through a nice one....Good luck fellas....
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2008, 12:12:00 PM »
Jamie, I keep them in there case dry. Had another interesting morning, I left early again my intention was to kind of hang back I really didn't want to press my luck and be under them again. I decided to set up were I saw the jakes cross this little swamp 3 times on Fri. It was at the base of a high ridge it's a nice spot that I have setup at before. it was pitch black out same as yesterday, I had a heck of a time setting up the blind this morning I hadn't realized that one of the rods had come out of it's pocket, I was thinking good thing I'm not to close to them because I made quite a ruckus. It started to get light out and I hadn't heard any thing then suddenly I heard turkey droppings hitting the ground, I thought you got to be kidding me their over here today. I don't think they new what was making all the fuss but I know they weren't to impressed one of the hens would answer my calling but the others stayed quiet, I heard 5 birds fly down onto the ridge behind me, I'm going to leave them alone for awhile.

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2008, 07:19:00 PM »
Tim, Curt texted me about your bird. Congrats, he texts me when I am in my blind several times. I was lazy this morning but had good action the last two. I am heading out in about 2 hours to set my blind. I am gonna leave my dekes in it and my chair. I will just have to sneak into it in the morning. I have them pegged now. I know Damon(Nomad88) is into lots of birds. He called one in for a wheel buddy this am. and Calvin missed!! He has seen at least 12 different Toms in his spot. I will try and post a story on tomorrows hunt. Be patient, as i am gonna striper fish after my hunt!! Best of Luck and Congrats Tim!! Shawn
Shawn

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2008, 08:11:00 PM »
I am trying my best to go out in the am, I just roosted 3 or 4 birds. Im almost ashamed to say it will be with a boomstick though. I havent been shooting enough to justify taking a shot at a live animal, especially one with such small vitals.
Dont worry, I am starting to shoot ASAP, and will be out there with the bow as soon as I get em where I want em and sharpen some BHs.
Good luck to all going in the am!
                         -Jamie

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: May 03, 2008, 08:45:00 PM »
On my way to set the blind. It should be good, we will see. Shawn
Shawn

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: May 03, 2008, 09:31:00 PM »
Good luck guys....I finally get to go huntin!!!!!!!!   :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :clapper:       :goldtooth:    :jumper:    :jumper:    :jumper:    :jumper:
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Bowspirit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: May 03, 2008, 09:32:00 PM »
Well, something magic is going to happen tommarrow. I can feel it...
“I read somewhere of how important it is in life, not necessarily to be strong, but to feel strong. To measure yourself at least once.”
                -Alexander Supertramp

"Shoot this for me."
                -Chuck Nelson

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: May 03, 2008, 09:34:00 PM »
good luck to all, slight change in plans for myself but will get a couple hours in the woods.
I go by many names but Daddy is my favorite!
listen to everyone,FOLLOW NO ONE!!
if your lucky enough to spend time in the mountains...then your lucky enough!
What ever befalls the Earth befalls the sons of the Earth.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©