3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Damascus Glove Suggestions?  (Read 222 times)

Offline Mojostick

• Trad Bowhunter
Damascus Glove Suggestions?
« on: April 30, 2008, 07:21:00 PM »
Does anyone know of a good quality Damascus style glove, that doesn't have velcro for the strap? Also, is there a similar glove that is just a bit thicker than a Damascus glove, without velcro on the strap?

I have a half dozen longbows in the 40-47lb range, so I wanted to try the Skookum MegaTuff Glove, for thickness, but 3 Rivers told me they were out of business. I believe it had velcro, but I was willing to buy one.

Here's my situation. I'm a former compound shooter who shot "instinctive" with the compound for 20 some years. And I shot the compound that way very well. However, with the compound I essentially looked down the arrow. I'm a hunter only and only shoot for hunting practice not any competition, so I'm not concerned if looking down the arrow is "real" instinctive shooting or not. I'm only interested in good ethical shot placement on an animal. But I do shoot 365 days a year, in my basement range.
I've tried split fingers with trad bows, but 3 under just feels so natural to me because the sight picture is similar to how I shot with the compound for 2 decades. Old habits are hard to break, especially when they work. So please don't suggest going to split fingers. I already tried that and spit arrows inconsistently all over the place.

I know that I have an minor issue with my form, because I've had life long trad shooters stand behind me and tell me what I'm doing wrong. At full draw, I'm basically turning my hand a bit, so the ring finger on my right hand is catching the string and it makes properly spined arrows fishtail a little bit. I say minor issue, because the arrows hit where I want them to, but they still fishtail a bit.
For the best penetration possible, I want to eliminate that fishtail.
In the grand scheme, at 15 yards a little fishtail probably doesn't matter. But like many hunters, I'm a little anal about making sure my arrow flies like a perfect dart.

I know many will probably scoff at my hand placement, but I have a long draw and big hands and for a reference point, I use my jawbone and put my thumb under it, use the portion between the thumb and index finger to go around the jaw bone, and my index finger rests on my cheek with my middle finger in the corner of my mouth.
I know it may be unorthodox, but as I mentioned, I shot like that with a compound for, well forever, and it feels right. Plus accuracy isn't an issue.

Despite being unorthodox, I shoot well that way in my 25 yards and under whitetail world.
That's not my problem.

My problem is, with a Damascus glove, the arrow flies perfectly and hits perfectly. However, after 10 minutes of shooting, my fingers are killing me! But if I use a thicker glove, I get no pain, but I'm back to just catching my ring finger and the arrow whips a bit.

I'm certain that a glove that has thickness in between a Damascus glove and a "regular" glove is my answer. Trust me, I've tried to correct my hand form, but it just isn't happening.
I've also tried about 6 different 3 under tabs and the fishtailing is worse with all the tabs.

In addition, my Damascus glove with the velcro has just a tiny "crinkle-crinkle" to it when I draw. The velcro noise is probably so slight that a deer wouldn't notice, but I notice and it drives me nuts. If it's warm I'm either in full quiet fleece and if it's cold I'm in full quiet wool. I don't want a glove with the velcro crinkle, even if it's only one quiet note.

So, my question after this long post is, does such a glove exist and if so, where do I find such a glove? That being a heavier gauge Damascus glove without a velcro strap.
I'll pay extra if someone makes them custom. Cost isn't an issue.
Thanks.

Offline Mojostick

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Damascus Glove Suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2008, 07:43:00 PM »
Oddly enough, I just called Alaska Bowhunting Supply and they told me that they will in fact be getting the Skookum MegaTuff Glove back in. I guess the original maker went out of business and they "new" supplier wasn't very good quality. But they found yet another supplier and they're making nice gloves.
So, I ordered one in XL. I'll give it a shot.
I can always retro-fit a buckle strap if the velcro on that glove makes any noise.

The guy at ABS also suggested a Howard Hill glove that has a leather strap and no velcro. Anyone suggest that glove?
Thanks again.

Offline Hot Hap

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Damascus Glove Suggestions?
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2008, 05:10:00 AM »
I use the HH glove and anchor almost exactly like you. It is very easy on the fingers. Mine is over 20 years old and is a little different from the new ones. I just bought a new one and it is not quite as stout as the old one. I haven't used the new one yet. It seems like it has strips of material in the fingers instead of just heavy leather like the old ones. Might be ok. But wish I could find a new old stock one. Hap PS I'm with you on the velcro-no place in the woods for that stuff. Hap

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©