3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 3 ply flemish, how to?  (Read 358 times)

Offline Justin Falon

• Trad Bowhunter
3 ply flemish, how to?
« on: April 30, 2008, 10:02:00 PM »
Is a 3 ply flemish string made essentially the same way a 2 ply is made?
Hill

Offline BodarkOkie

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: 3 ply flemish, how to?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2008, 10:09:00 PM »
Yep, just keep twisting and turning with the extra bundle.
If you love peace more than you love freedom, you lose!
TGMM Family of the Bow
United Bowhunters of MO-Lifetime/Founding Board
United Bowhunters of IL-Lifetime Charter
Compton Trad. Bowhunters-Lifetime Charter
PBS-Assoc.
NBEF Instructor

Offline Beepy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2008, 10:31:00 PM »
do you reduce the number of strings in each bundle so that the total number is the same as in a 2 ply?

Offline aromakr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2008, 10:40:00 PM »
Beepy:
Yes in essence, however Two ply's are even number of strands and three ply odd.
Bob
Man must "believe" in something!  I "believe" I will go hunting-----

Offline Beepy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2008, 11:39:00 PM »
Ahhhhh yes.... Math.... never been too good at that.  So in essence a 16 (8x8) strand would become a 15 (5x5x5).

Offline TimZeigler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2008, 08:56:00 AM »
I don't think there is any rule that says you can't have one bundle with an extra string in it.

If you want 16 strand do a 6x5x5.
USMC 1992-2000
PBS Associate Member

Offline lt-m-grow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2008, 03:23:00 PM »
I am not and expert but when I make them I don't worry about balance ala divide by 3.  I usually choose for color.  For example, if I want the string to have just hint of red (don't laugh though it sounds bad) I would use 6 6 and 3 for a total count of 15.  

Frankly I don't think the size of each bundle matters.  I have read from people much smarter than me that two bundles work just as good as three.  So why should bundle size matter then.

Or at least it works for me.

Offline UKarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2008, 03:43:00 PM »
What you are making in essence, is a rope. A rope gets its strength from the lay of the bundles, so if you have different amounts in the bundles, the smaller bundle will have undue strain on it compared to the larger bundle. As far as the number of bundles, it doesn't matter. If you twist a good two bundle, you can make the string just as round as a three bundle. The only advantage of a three bundle is the number of colors you can use. But if you just want a hint of a color, just replace one of the strands in the bundle with the color you want to 'hint'.

Offline lt-m-grow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2008, 04:02:00 PM »
I am gonna admit that I could be open to ridicule here, but I don't understand UKarher.

With continuous standands of fiber that run the entire length of the "rope" your explanation doesn't make sense to me.  Now it would if you took multiple shorter strands and made a long rope, but each bow strand is capable of carrying it own weight. The bundle just ties it together on the ends.

Having said that I do think that adding a hint of color to three even bundles makes more sense than what I offered - so I learned something there.

Thanks.

Offline UKarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2008, 04:52:00 PM »
I have just twisted up a length of string using your numbers It-m-grow, just to satisfy myself. And then I put it on my stretcher to see what happens. There is definitely unequal strain on the bundles.
The twists in a rope or string are there to give it structure. If we didn't need twists, we could just run the strands along side each other, but we need the twist to hold it all together. Also we need twist to keep the loops together. But they have to have equal pressure otherwise the string will start to slip in the loops. If you were shooting an 18 strand string and you accidently cut three of the strands with your broadhead, would you keep on using that string? I know I wouldn't, and that is basically what you have when you make strings with odd bundles.

Offline San Juan Slim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2008, 07:20:00 PM »
I have always made 3-lay flemish strings.  The other day I tried a 2-lay string and I felt like it didn't "bind" together as well as the 3-lay strings I usually make.  It felt like the string was always trying to unravel as I twisted it up.  I think from now on, I will stick with a 3-lay string since that's what I'm comfortable making.

Mike

Offline tollgatetraditions

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2008, 06:19:00 PM »
I make (and sell) several hundred flemish bowstrings a year and we only make the two ply versions.  I can put together a string with as many different colors as you might want as we usually make the two plys with contrasting "tracer" colors as a standard item.

I find the three ply strings have no advantage other than taking three times the time and effort to build one!  Since we offer a quality hand made string with same day service, I tend to stay away from three ply strings.

george at Tollgate Traditions

http://tollgatearchery.com/Strings.htm

Offline Justin Falon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2008, 08:24:00 PM »
Well, my first 3 ply turned out 10 times better than my last 20 2 ply strings.  Go figure.  I do like the roundness of it but it is more difficult to get a PRETTy string than it is with 2 ply.  Color advice welcome!!!

justin
Hill

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©