3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: james valley bear scents  (Read 317 times)

Offline dave hiltz

• Trad Bowhunter
james valley bear scents
« on: May 01, 2008, 05:54:00 AM »
Has anyone ever used the James Valley sow in heat bear scent/lure?  I know that their deer scents are super and all I use!

Offline Jeff Sample

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: james valley bear scents
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2008, 12:05:00 PM »
Dave,

I took some of their non-sex bear sent to POW Island a few years ago for some buddies that were using it in conjunction with bait. Can't say that it worked better than bait alone, but it smelled gawd awful, which was probably pretty good to a bear! I too have had such good results with their various deer estrous and gland sents over the years that I would not hesitate to use their bear sex sent(s). Just my opinion!
Jeff
Give me oysters and beer, for dinner every day of the year and I'll feel fine – Jimmy Buffett

Offline Charlie Cole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2008, 01:52:00 PM »
Old doughnuts are probably cheaper. Smell better, too. And you can share.

-Charlie

Offline bamboo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2008, 04:41:00 PM »
yeah -but you don't need a wheelbarrow to use the JV!!
Mike

Offline GregD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2008, 09:53:00 PM »
Dave, My first advice would be to get a buddy to order it for you. The first time I bought I got out of my truck after work and was wondering what that God-awful smell was! The whole neighborhood stunk. My wife met me at the front door and told me to remove whatever I ordered from our mailbox and don't even consider bringing it inside. My brother was sitting on a bait that year that didn't get touched for three days, I put half a q-tip of the lure on an onion sack full of chicken parts and waked out. Less than ten minutes later a nice boar came in, stood up with his paws on the chicken and took that q-tip out of the onion sack.  I tried the sex scent too, I thought it made smaller bears nervous. Can't say for sure but that was my impression.  Good Luck  Greg  P.S.  The stinky one can be a lot of fun if you have guys that don't want to get up in the morning, remove the top place in room or tent , close room up and watch how quickly the room clears out.

Offline dave hiltz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2008, 05:26:00 AM »
thanks guys, I am going to alberta again on the 14th, and I help out a friend of mine who is an outfitter and just thought that it might be nice to try something different.

Offline joel smith

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2008, 07:34:00 AM »
John makes the best scents of any kind that i've ever used. Several of my buddies have used it with good success also. They had a bear break into a truck (broke the glass) to get at some of their scent in a camp in Alberta a few years back and John did have some pictures in  his catalog of the damage. It does a have a really strong odor, that's why it works. With as much as the big boars move around as mating approaches I would think the sex scent could up your odds quite a bit. He also has some sweet scents if you don't like the musks but the strong stuff has worked best for our hunts
"...some of it's magic, some of it's tragic, but I've had a good life all the way..."
Jimmy Buffet from HE WENT TO PARIS

Offline Bowman0202

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2008, 01:28:00 PM »
Good way to "safely" carry it is to put it in another jar with a tight lid on it - THEN you can keep it in (oops, hide it in) the refrigerator - LOL
IBEP Instructor

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©