3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Moose-less is not useless, 2021  (Read 2659 times)

Offline Herdbull

• Trad Bowhunter
Moose-less is not useless, 2021
« on: October 02, 2021, 10:47:29 AM »
I had another great solo hunt for moose in Alaska. Even though I did not take a moose, I gained a lot of experience and joy, and took many memories home. I planned to hunt the same spot as I did last year, but the morning of my fly-out, I found out that an outfitter had dropped a camp in on the lake. So, after looking over a few spots on google maps, my pilot and I found another spot for me to try. I had to transition from a wheeled plane to a super-cub on floats which gave me time to catch a few fish.

Offline Herdbull

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Moose-less is not useless, 2021
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2021, 11:01:07 AM »
This new spot was at lower elevation than I am used to. There were much more birch trees, which reduce visibility while glassing from my elevated look out. There was a lot of moose sign, rut pits, and broken brush from antler raking. The first morning I called in a couple bulls, but never got a look at them as the shifting wind got to them before they broke free of the alder brush. In the evening I called in another bull. He came in from a great distance and took about 45 minutes to get to me. Excitement built as his grunting was more audible and the antler raking became more defined. Eventually he approached to 45-50 yards, and started raking brush in response to my calling. His slow and cautious approach took too much time off the clock and gave the wind a chance to shift and send my scent to the bulls nose. He was gone! The next day I saw a young bull down near the lake I landed on.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2021, 11:09:10 AM »
Always cool stuff :thumbsup:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Herdbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2021, 11:20:37 AM »
I called in a medium bull, but he only had a left antler. This unit required a bull to be 50 inches wide or have 3 brow points on at least one side. Calling down into the river bottoms always seemed to work for me on previous hunt. Calling all morning - I was rewarded at noon with grunts of a bull. At 50 yards I could see he was a mature bull with four brow pts on left side and I guessed him to be 58 - 60 inches wide. At 40 yards, the bull took a wrong turn for me and put a patch of alders between us. I soft grunted in hopes of turning him, but he did not cooperate. At 30 yards he was in open brush, but vitals were still covered. I crept forward as he moved. I was trying to keep my scent out in front of him. At 25 yards, I had sun on my back and in his eyes, but still no shot. We had our stand off as he listened for the cow in heat, but yet again the no-good shifty  wind interrupted our engagement. Like the others, he wasted no time in getting out of there. I at least got a good look at the beautiful bull with about 15 points per side. Thirty minutes later I called in another bull, but like the bull I saw earlier, he too had only one left antler.

Rut Pit

Med bull

Smaller bull called in

Offline dhaverstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2021, 11:30:15 AM »
Thanks for taking us along, Mike!

Darren

Offline Herdbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2021, 11:38:30 AM »
A couple days later, I hunted out quite a ways from camp, but stayed low in valley crossed several hills and willow swamps before getting back into the birch. It seemed strange to hunt under a canopy of trees. I usually hunt at higher elevation, but this place had few dwarf birch, pucker brush, or blue berries. My calling was again rewarded with a grunting response from over 600 yards. It took him 30 minutes to get to me, but eventually the bull broke into the open at 70 yards. I was at the upper rim of a grassy bowl, and had good visibility. I was shocked to see yet again a bull with only a left antler. This was a legal bull as he had three brow points. He would have been fairly wide had he not broke the beam off below the burr. Not sure if just very aggressive fighting in the area, or weak pedicel base stems are the issue. I laid the bow down and filmed as he came up and circled me to 12 yards. I had all kind of shooting opportunities. But I still had 8 more hunting days, so I passed him up. Got stuck in heavy rain the rest of the day, but always seemed to smile as I thought about my good luck - bad luck

Offline Herdbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2021, 11:45:17 AM »
Lots of calling. Had a bull come in and stand at my drop off spot just down from camp. But only 2 pt brows and narrow palms kept him just under 50, and saved his life. He got away before I could get camera on him.

I saw several otters in the beaver pond.

Offline Herdbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2021, 11:51:08 AM »

Offline Herdbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2021, 11:55:54 AM »
Snow and high winds came in for a few days to sock me into camp.

Offline Herdbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2021, 12:10:31 PM »
Overall I called in about 10 bulls. I feel some were the same bull multiple times, but no good luck. After 16 hunting days in the bush, I never saw another human. I left my imprint on the land along with those of moose and bear. My presence was only felt until the next rain, but the wilderness impressions will stay with me forever.

The Alaska landscape of gold, turns to black and white as thev birch lose their luster.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2021, 12:59:58 PM »
Really cool pictures. I think just being in the same area as moose would be very exciting.
Sam

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2021, 01:27:13 PM »
Thanks for taking us along. Another good hunt.
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2021, 01:31:55 PM »
Thanks Mike, always enjoyed!  :thumbsup:
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Online stevem

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2021, 02:45:07 PM »
Enjoyed the recap.  Thanks for sharing.
"What was big was not the fish, but the chance.  What was full was not the creel, but the memory" - Aldo Leopold   "Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement"- Will Rogers

Online TIM B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2021, 02:54:10 PM »
Good times for sure. Thanks for sharing.
Tim B

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2021, 05:12:37 PM »
Good stuff, Mike.  Beautiful country, and you were into them.  Thanks for sharing.   :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I notice that you didn't use a stove in your Sawtooth Tepee.  Just not cold enough, or do you not burn wood in your hunting area? 

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2021, 05:21:22 PM »
Alaska is BEAUTIFUL!!!!!

I was up there in  the early 80's when I was in the Marines. Always wanted to go back!!
I'm older now, and my old bones and short wind, would probly make a hunting trip tough...??

Maybe a fishing trip...?? :bigsmyl:
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2021, 05:23:01 PM »
Great story Mike!! I figured we’d be hearing from you soon.  You’re the last of my friends to come in from the bush. You All had great stories. I couldn’t make it this year so I’m living it through your experience. Thanks for sharing.
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
NY Bowhunters Association
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline JohnV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2021, 06:10:00 PM »
Sounds like a great adventure!
Proud Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2021, 08:28:29 PM »
Good story Mike, and thanks for sharing it it. As one who understands 'close but no cigar', I still value the experience of going every year whether I come home with anything tangible. The north country is so fine, and the memories are forever. Kevin

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©