3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Best finish over fiberglass  (Read 366 times)

Offline RGK

• Trad Bowhunter
Best finish over fiberglass
« on: May 01, 2008, 07:36:00 AM »
I was thinking of using tung oil as a finish on the longbow that I am making for my son. I wonder how it will do over glass?

What does everybody else use as a protective outer coating over glass and wood?? What about the flexing of the limbs and cracking of the finish??
Member: WI Bowhunters Association
Member: WI Traditional Archers
Member: American Broadhead Collectors Club
Member: Sherwood Forest Bowmen

Offline 2fletch

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Best finish over fiberglass
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2008, 09:01:00 AM »
Good questions. I don't have the answers, I'm interested in hearing answers as well. I have a supply of tung oil, danish oil, and tru oil, but not sure how they will do on fiberglass.

Offline elk ninja

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2008, 09:27:00 AM »
Tru oil works great for me!
Mike
>>>--Semper-Fi--->

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.
-Abraham Lincoln

Offline RGK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2008, 09:30:00 AM »
A check of the 3Rivers site shows Tung Oil, spray poly and Thunderbird finish as the option for bow finishes. I only wonder what the Tung oil will do on the glass, I think I would need to ruff up the shiny surface of the glass with something like 400 grit to get a solid bond. I think that would hold true for any of the finishes. I am looking for a matt or "No-Gloss" finish.

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2008, 07:01:00 PM »
Definitely sand the glass,I use Helmsman spar urethane or sumthin like that,satin ,good finish but maybe not as good as Tbird. Available at Wmart
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2008, 07:29:00 PM »
If yer gonna go the tung oil route, make sure it's not raw tung oil, and that it's a copolymer blend.  

Glass needs to be buffed down with 220 or 320 grit to prepare for the finish coats.

Oily woods (cocobolo, rosewood, etc) needs to be sealed first - Jay Massey finish technique (epoxy thinned with acetone) works very well.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Danny J

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2008, 08:35:00 PM »
Any mor information on that Massie finish technique Rob?
IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, PLEASE FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM.

Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"

Offline RGK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2008, 09:44:00 PM »
Yes please. The bloodwood in my riser is a bit oily and I know tung oil cures very slowly for the first coat.

Offline portugeejn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2008, 09:56:00 PM »
I've had good experiences with Tru Oil.

Ron

Offline Blackhawk7204

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2008, 10:31:00 PM »
You can wipe the oily woods with alcohol or acetone before you put the finish on. You can also seal the wood with superglue and sand smooth before you finish. Just don't use acetone after the superglue.

Offline S Biles

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2008, 11:03:00 PM »
After spraying many bows, the best finish i have found is thunderbird two part epoxy. I use the high gloss finish, because it is harder. The first coat wiil serve as your sealer for the oily woods. After spraying the bow with the number of coats you want, you can dull the glossy finish by wet sanding the bow with 1500 grit sand paper. You can then polish the bow with rottenstone and water, or mineral oil. This i have found will give you the smoothest and most proffesional looking finish. The two part epoxy is a little expensive at 80.00 dollars a quart, but you can spray 10 to 12 bows.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2008, 04:47:00 AM »
My version of a "Jay Massey finish" - I mix up some quality slow set epoxy in a small baby food type glass jar, set the jar into a pan of hot water (this helps with both the mixing and flow out) then thin with acetone to a flowing syrup-like consistency, wipe that on with a cloth.  

A faster way of sealing is to use thin or medium viscosity CYA (super glue - the quality stuff found at hobby shops: Hot Stuff, Jet, Zap, etc).  Wipe it on, sand/buff lightly with 220 grit, apply the finish coats.

For either methods of sealing, wear rubber gloves and a face mask - we're talkin' really toxic stuff.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline sweet old bill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2008, 06:12:00 AM »
tru oil has worked for me on 5 bows I have redone over the years. The key is put it on in very light coats and then I let dry for about a week between coats...
Bill
you should see how I use to shoot
Sand dune archers Myrtle beach SC
Senior archers of Oneonta NY

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©