Author Topic: Bingham Take Down Recurve Video Build Along  (Read 2409 times)

Offline kenboonejr

• Trad Bowhunter
Bingham Take Down Recurve Video Build Along
« on: October 04, 2021, 12:58:22 PM »
Ok guys, while I was building my first take down recurve by using the Bingham Projects kit I made videos of the whole process that I went through.  So I think this would be good for someone who has never done this before to give them an idea of what needs to happen at each step in the process.  I am a total newbie at this and probably, actually, I know, I did some things wrong and that there are many ways to do this.  So in this series I am just showing what I did, and where I messed up and how I fixed things etc.. through the whole process.  Really grateful to the TradGang community for all the help I got along the way.  There were definitely some tedious moments through the build, but man it is SOOOO cool to have a nice shootable bow that I built myself.  At this point, I am trying to figure out what I want to build next because, well doing this is really cool!  Anyway, here are the links to the videos and if you have never done this, you should probably watch part 10 before you start the build, cause I go over the different areas that caused me concern as a newbie and some things I did wrong specifically and really goes over what to expect because things don’t go exactly like the instruction video that Bingham’s provides.  Hope this helps someone.

Part 1 - Overview - 
Part 2 - Building the Form - 
Part 3 - Building the Heat Box -
Part 4 - Gluing up the Limbs -
Part 5 - Limb Clean Up and Riser Prep -
Part 6 - Hardware Install and Limb Tillering -
Part 7 - Limb Tip Overlays -
Part 8 - Shaping the Riser -
Part 9 -  Finishing the Bow -
Part 10 - Things Learned along the Way -

Offline Ed Race

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bingham Take Down Recurve Video Build Along
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2021, 05:56:38 PM »
I just binge watched all of your videos. It's been YEARS since I've been on here. Great job on the kit!  I've always wanted to do one as a kid and now that I'm an adult with *real* money, I think I'm gonna try a one-piece longbow.  Glad to see Bingham's is still in business. Last I heard the original owner passed away?  For what it's worth, I'd like to see any other bows you make on YouTube.  Thanks again for putting those videos up!

Shredd

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2021, 07:54:38 PM »
  Cool...  I will have to check them out...

Offline kenboonejr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2021, 08:48:32 PM »
I just binge watched all of your videos. It's been YEARS since I've been on here. Great job on the kit!  I've always wanted to do one as a kid and now that I'm an adult with *real* money, I think I'm gonna try a one-piece longbow.  Glad to see Bingham's is still in business. Last I heard the original owner passed away?  For what it's worth, I'd like to see any other bows you make on YouTube.  Thanks again for putting those videos up!

Ed - I was in the same boat.  I looked at these catalogs for literally decades and then finally did it. I am thinking I might try the one piece recurve next and I think I want to put in some curved accent stripes this time and try something a little different.  Probably not gonna get to it until after hunting season, but now that I think about it that might make a nice Christmas present!  I'm glad you liked the videos.  That is why I put them out there for folks that have never done it to see what it takes for a newbie to complete it.  The guys here on Trad Gang are a tremendous help as well! 

Offline katalyzt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2021, 07:24:40 PM »
Awesome videos man. I've been building bows for only about a year so I'm still learning plenty with each build so there where some good tid bits in there.  I did have to jump to gluing up the limb and make sure you experienced the same suffer fest I still experience when trying to get the limb taped down sufficiently.   :biglaugh: Extra set of hands is definitely a must for me as well. And the tillering... I was right there with you man.  I think that becomes more of an art than a science?

Well done and thanks for sharing  :clapper:

Offline kenboonejr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2021, 09:16:48 PM »
Awesome videos man. I've been building bows for only about a year so I'm still learning plenty with each build so there where some good tid bits in there.  I did have to jump to gluing up the limb and make sure you experienced the same suffer fest I still experience when trying to get the limb taped down sufficiently.   :biglaugh: Extra set of hands is definitely a must for me as well. And the tillering... I was right there with you man.  I think that becomes more of an art than a science?

Well done and thanks for sharing  :clapper:

Thanks Katalyzt - Yea I have a ton to learn too but the guys on this forum are great. And yea it was a challenge to get those limbs taped down.  Then it was a challenge to figure out how to get them out, and then it was a challenge to... you name it ;)  But it was fun and well worth doing for sure.  I am going to ask for the material for the 1 piece recurve build for Christmas so hoping to start another build after that!  Looking forward to it.  Glad you enjoyed the vids!

Offline Jim Jackson

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2021, 02:54:28 PM »
Nice job on the vids for sure.  :readit:
Blaze out your own trail.

Offline kenboonejr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2021, 06:12:23 PM »
Nice job on the vids for sure.  :readit:

Thanks Jim!  I am hoping to start another one soon.  A 1 piece recurve this time.

Offline Appalachian Hillbilly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2021, 09:31:32 AM »
Ken, just wanted to say thanks for those videos! That is how I found this place. Looking forward to your 1 piece build.

"Another" Ken..

Offline Mad Max

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2021, 09:47:34 AM »
A tip for gluing up your Stack
Stack them up just like they need to be, unstack one at a time and glue them back up in the new stack
I would rather fail at something above my means, than to succeed at something  beneath my means  
}}}}===============>>

Offline kenboonejr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2021, 10:31:31 AM »
Ken, just wanted to say thanks for those videos! That is how I found this place. Looking forward to your 1 piece build.

"Another" Ken..

I'm glad you found this place.  It is an awesome resource.  The guys here were a big help in helping me be successful with my build for sure!

Offline kenboonejr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2021, 10:32:02 AM »
A tip for gluing up your Stack
Stack them up just like they need to be, unstack one at a time and glue them back up in the new stack

Always appreciate the tips Mad Max!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©