3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: The Three Days of Blackleg, herd bull. Finished!  (Read 3097 times)

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Last Edit: October 13, 2021, 01:52:17 PM by jhg »
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: The Three Days of Blackleg, herd bull
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2021, 07:27:30 PM »
It was way too early for a shot and to be honest it happened so fast my bow never would have been up in time anyway. I knew he had seen me, or maybe by sixth sense known I was there. But he was not alarmed and he hadn't gotten my wind, I was certain of that.  I let them go a minute or two until the random cracking and breakings typical of elk on the move in timber receded out of my hearing. But it is a foolish archer who waits too long to dog a group of elk in the woods and I made my way quick, keeping quiet and careful in the deadfall and the beetle kill everywhere around.
At first shooting light I was looking down into a narrow drainage, a twenty inch creek snaking its way through the rocks and grasses of a wet meadow. Ten or twelve cow elk fed around lorded over by a stud of a bull. He was mostly tan and sunbleached. But his legs were as black as coal and it seemed as if he had leggings on just for the effect. He strutted and postured and bugled quiet tending calls.

My heart rate was up a notch as I both watched the group below and studied the terrain around. Make a stalk or at least get closer before calling? That bull was not going to climb up the steep slope between where I stood and the bottom where they were, no matter how convincing I was as an elk. Or don't call at all. Try a hail-mary stalk, through sentry cows and the diminishing cover that typlifies so many canyon meadows? No matter what it was going to be, I would have to close the distance and keep the wind. No small thing in the narrow canyon of tree and deadfall everywhere.

« Last Edit: October 12, 2021, 10:55:51 AM by jhg »

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2021, 08:02:21 PM »
I first chose to get lower on the canyons S slope and see what the thermals were doing closer to the elk. It was rough going. The elk had chosen well.

« Last Edit: October 11, 2021, 11:56:11 PM by jhg »

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2021, 12:09:04 AM »
It took awhile but by mid morning I was on the edge of the upper meadows. It was obvious now that I couldn't make a stalk from here so I tried some calls to see what would happen. The bull didn't care. He was down in the bottom with his cows and the other bull (me) was up above. If the new bull chose to press the issue Blackleg had a number of choices in how to respond. He could take his girls and leave. There were a number of escape routes. He could stand his ground until the intruder showed himself, then choose an action. Or he could ignore me altogether. I pondered my own choices and decided to leave the calling alone for awhile. I decided it was better to play to my strengths and not blow the herd out of the canyon altogether. I understood my limitations as a caller and to keep calling seemed low percentage right then.

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2021, 12:17:45 AM »
I decided to take the long view and circle above them, crossing the canyon to the other side, climbing above them and trying a stalk from there. It seemed the better play. From where I stood the elk would see me well outside my lethal range. I wanted timber cover into the bottom and it seemed the other slope offered more of it deeper into the meadow.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2021, 07:39:04 AM »
 :coffee: :campfire:
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2021, 09:28:53 AM »
I found hidden small meadows. Tiny oasis' among the dense stands of timber. I kept going, knowing the elk group were well below me in the drainage. Still, it was easy to image an encounter with a big bull in a place like this.

I crossed over and climbed the other side until I could look down onto the herd. I was so focused on them I didn't see the satellite bull 20 yards ahead of me and on the same contour. He was doing the same thing, watching the herd! We both did a little jump but his took him out of my life forever while mine only managed to shift my bugle out of the way for a shot.
But that was alright- I was after Blackleg like a lone wolf. I let a round up bugle rip followed by huffs and Blackleg responded with a stay back warning. I left it at that knowing he wasn't going to come up but it at least felt good to get his goat. But now I had another problem- the wind. As I snuck down toward the herd it was clocking around until I was afraid if I went any farther they would wind me. It killed me to do it but I decided to pull out, sure I would never see that black legged bull again. But sometimes you have to trust in your intuition, even if the impatient part of you undermines the certainty. I circled under the elk group quite far down the drainage and climbed back toward camp. However, I had one more trick up my sleeve and I decided to wait inside a small access gulch off the main valley. This little avenue led to a dense stand of timber in a wet seep full of tender elk treats and nibbles.

« Last Edit: October 14, 2021, 11:27:11 PM by jhg »

Offline rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2021, 09:45:11 AM »
Awesome story so far! :coffee:
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline Curvebo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2021, 10:07:50 AM »
What a treat to wake up to this morning!!  :coffee:

Offline hessian

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2021, 10:36:18 AM »
Wonderful story so far!

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2021, 12:14:37 PM »
This is great!!  :notworthy:
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2021, 12:44:56 PM »
On the edge of my seat….    :clapper: :clapper: :clapper:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Ark.Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2021, 01:24:38 PM »
Man, you have got my undivided attention, don't stop now!!

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2021, 01:57:34 PM »
 :campfire: :coffee:
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline kerry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2021, 02:52:29 PM »
Thanks for taking the time to bring us along.

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2021, 05:31:08 PM »
I sat my hide, not yet knowing I had blown it already by trying to have it both ways, thinking I could sentry two drainages at the same time. But hunting is also about other things. I have never lamented being in the back country. Even if the lessons learned there went down hard I knew no other place I'd rather be.
My brother never hunted. He never had any interest in any of it. But I was the kid sneaking peeks into Dad's "hunting closet", a small space off the den packed with fishing rods, boots and woolen jac-shirts, rain gear and the holy grail of all boys hunt dreamings, guns. Also, way in back, rested a 1964 Yellow Jacket longbow. Made by the Cravotta Brothers, it was yellow & white glassed, 64 inch and maple cored. I shot all the cedars held by the old leather quiver until I placed one "by accident" dead center in the widow neighbors garage door. The arrow hit right where old "Mrs Bush" would be standing when she opened the door to get to her car. The shaft buried itself in a plywood panel and I couldn't pull it out. I went and got my father who took one look at the arrow, its lethal spot in the door and everything that implied. He wrapped his strong hands onto the arrow and pulled it free. He then looked at me. He knew a lesson already learned needs no comment. Dad only quietly said: "don't tell anyone" and went back to work.
So waiting on elk in the mountains was no task for me. In a lot of ways it was home.

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2021, 05:47:41 PM »
So the elk went past my hide, the limb crackings and the mewings, the soft tending bugle of the black legged bull. At this point in my elk life I had not the confidence to lean on my bugle tube and turn the encounter my way. I let them go. I knew they would be near there in the morning. At least I hoped they would and to my advantage they had no clue a wolf was stalking them.
It was late and I knew better than rush after the herd. I shouldered my pack and placed my headlamp knowing it would be dark before I climbed out of the drainage. My recurve balanced light in my hand. I loved how it was a part of the hunt, so graceful and unobtrusive. It was never out of place, never a nuisance.
The truck camper was a comforting thought. I would warm elk stew and bake some frozen biscuits.
There was tomorrow. Oh yeah...

Offline Joe2Crow

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2021, 08:36:08 PM »
Great story! Thank you. Hope it’s not over…

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©