3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: The Three Days of Blackleg, herd bull. Finished!  (Read 3096 times)

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: The Three Days of Blackleg, herd bull
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2021, 09:21:30 PM »
I slept hard and the 4:30AM warmth of my bedding made me wonder if perhaps I was slightly delusional, expecting that bunch of elk to still be 1 mile away about where I had left them. Maybe I could sleep in a little, bide my time so to speak. I lay there a couple minutes and knew if I gave in to this thinking I could never raz another hunter about being lazy. So I sat up and put my feet on the floor,  that universal symbol for getting shit done.

Dawn found me glad I was in the woods early. If nothing else, the view was worth it.

Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2021, 09:32:37 PM »
I hunted into daylight to be on the edge of the thick timber that I hoped still held Blackleg and his gang. These little spots of meadow cupped the bottom of the wet timber and are great places to hunt. The only trouble is the wind, it saws back and forth, up and down. I have never been able to count on consistent thermals here except during the middle of the day. I did not know yet if this was just a goose chase, but hunted like it mattered. You just never know. I had been thwarted many a time in my elk quests by lapses in focus and this day, no way.

Just as I walked into the photo above I heard Blackleg throw out a tending bugle just upslope from this spot. Game on!!

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2021, 10:51:46 AM »
This is the pocket of timber the elk were in. I had been in there before. It was not a big area, maybe 100 yards wide and 800 long.

It says a lot about my confidence as a caller at this point in my life that I feared using calls to draw out this bull. It was a perfect situation to call: 1) I knew exactly where he/they were, 2) no other hunters about that I could tell, 3) there were some good spots to call from just inside the thick pocket of timber.
But I didn't dare. Even though I was confident enough in my skill as a hunter to "back out" I had called at bulls before and every time watched them run the other way so fast it was depressing. Not what you would call a confidence building history.
I did know, from hard experience, that going after Blackleg in that nest of deadfall, tight spaced timber, soggy ground and dead dry limbs everywhere was not a smart option. How many times, as a new elk hunter, all enthusiasm and strong legs, had I "snuck" up on elk in such timber? A bunch. And every time, I congratulated myself on my woodsmanship and stealth for getting so close. Yet as I approached the bow range I needed in that timber, as I saw my distance to them shrink, they always saw me too. Every time. You can get close. Very close. But they will see you too, just when it counts.

I could hear the bull soft call to his cows into late morning. I played the wind, moving as soon as it began to shift my scent stream toward the elk. This went on for most of the day and I began to fear that my game was a self-defeating one. Sooner or later they were going to wind me. The black legged bull had also gone silent. Maybe they had bedded in there. I circled above the pocket and tried to determine if while I was below or aside them they had left the area. In the end, I pulled out and sat away from any chance they might get my wind. I went back to camp empty.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2021, 02:14:54 PM by jhg »

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2021, 11:15:41 AM »
AWESOME STORY!!

And this-  "So I sat up and put my feet on the floor,  that universal symbol for getting shit done." 

This is fact!
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline Bamboozle

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2021, 11:20:25 AM »
Great pics to go with the narration!
Get bamboo.

Offline Tater

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2021, 11:38:41 AM »

Great story, keep it coming just what I needed on this drizzly morning.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Charter/Life Member
Big Thompson Bowhunters
United Bowhunters of Illinois
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2021, 11:49:49 AM »
As the morning clocked away I knew I couldn't stay where I was for much longer. I heard some crackings inside the pocket. Nearer? The bull bugled a round up call and I knew they were now "on the move". This was different. My chance, if I ever had one, was literally leaving.
The bull bugled again and it was plain the elk were coming my way, edging the pocket to take advantage of the easier going. It was no picnic walking up the middle of the snarl. I moved ahead toward the edge of the pocket, knowing my shot distance had to max out with about 10 yards inside the edge, not someplace short of it. The elk would be in that transition line from thick timber to open timber. I was looking into something like this, less the wallow:

I began to see cow elk, a patch of tan here, a movement there. I set my legs and knocked an arrow. My god it was finally going to happen?
 Then I saw the bull. My palms were sweating so bad I repeatedly wiped them on my pant leg but the wool wasn't much help.  The bull was now just below me and moving up along the edge of the dense timber. The wind was just beginning to clock toward the elk and I knew it was going to have to be soon or they would surely get my wind now. On he came and I did not count points. I knew he was a six-by and my heart rate was already trying to run redline even as I told myself: breath in breath out relax relax relax relax. The bull was coming and then he was broadside. He had to pause to find clearance for his antlers, his head behind timber. I raised ElkMaster, focused on the crease so neat and so perfect and I remember the undulations of his muscles under the tan blonde hair. It was 20 yards maybe and as I expanded into the shot half my mind was saying over and over: finally finally finally.
The arrow was away. The bull must have seen me draw, or something, for he tried to reverse direction but his antlers were still snagged somewhat in the branches of the tree. He was still perfectly placed as the arrow, like some mythical thing, arched across the distance between us as it held course for his vitals.
 In that moment I felt an elation only born from hard work and perseverance. I felt rewarded in that private way hunters are when they know they did it right. The arrow was in slow motion. Then it was inches from the bulls side. I remember this clearly like it was just a moment ago. Then it was in the ground under and behind him. He got clear and in thunder and snapping branches charged away down the hogback and crashed into the woods.

What just happened? He seemed mighty spry when he left and something inside my brain was telling me he was untouched.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2021, 12:14:43 PM by jhg »

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2021, 12:04:17 PM »
I didn't feel deflated but the adrenaline dump was there. I walked over to where the bull was standing and after a few moments of searching, found my arrow. It was a big let down, seeing the shaft and feathers so dry. I could see right where the bull had been standing under the tree, where his antlers had gotten caught, everything. And right in front of this spot was one, just one, 1/4 inch diameter supple branch from a tiny mountain alder.

My arrow had deflected down under the bull just inches from his side.

Right then, I understood karma. I figured it was, even in my deep disappointment, fair that I had missed. That it was after three days of hard hunting only made it more significant. I was paying dues owed, somehow, and in this way I managed to accept that I was only human after all and the wilderness owed me nothing.

The End. Thanks for reading along.

« Last Edit: October 14, 2021, 12:09:38 PM by jhg »

Offline rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2021, 12:07:16 PM »
What some awesome story telling!  Hope there is more!
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: The Three Days of Blackleg, herd bull. Finished!
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2021, 01:41:47 PM »
Great story thank you for bringing us along. 👍👍
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline Iowabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2021, 02:39:38 PM »
Hands down the best storytelling i've seen considering no animal is down yet-keep after them!
Associate PBS member NRA member DU and Pheasants Forever

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2021, 02:50:30 PM »
I have a lot of "no animals were harmed" stories....

Offline Joe2Crow

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2021, 03:02:35 PM »
Wow, had my adrenaline going! Great story.

Offline captain caveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2021, 03:29:18 PM »
Someone said we need more hunting stories this is exactly what we need thanks so much for taking us along

Online stevem

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: October 13, 2021, 03:39:56 PM »
Enjoyed the story.  I thought I was the only one with "just a tiny little 'ol limb" issue. 
"What was big was not the fish, but the chance.  What was full was not the creel, but the memory" - Aldo Leopold   "Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement"- Will Rogers

Offline Joeabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2021, 05:47:28 PM »
Excellent hunting story and pictures!  Thanks for sharing.

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: October 13, 2021, 06:04:29 PM »
 :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline J. Cook

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: October 13, 2021, 08:32:42 PM »
That Sir, was a great story well told!   :clapper:
"Huntin', fishin', and lovin' every day!"

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: October 13, 2021, 09:51:13 PM »
Thanks for taking the time to put your hunt in written words, you are blessed with a talent few people have.  You kept me anticipating each installment.  In my mind, there recounting of the hunt above is only part of your adventure.
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©