3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Michigan Hunters ?  (Read 1781 times)

Offline Bob Foster

• Trad Bowhunter
Michigan Hunters ?
« on: October 14, 2021, 08:00:47 AM »
I’m curious to hear how your season has been going with the unseasonably warm weather we’ve been having?
I’m hunting public land “big woods” acorns are everywhere. It’s like walking on a gravel road. I’ve seen very few deer so far, mostly moving in late evening. I’m seeing some new rubs and scraps but most movement is nocturnal.

Offline Trenton G.

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Michigan Hunters ?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2021, 08:17:17 AM »
It's been extremely slow up here so far. I've been out a few times and have yet to see a deer. Areas that have been good the past couple of years have no deer using them. At least around here there are almost no acorns at all where as last year they were everywhere.
Hopefully some colder weather show up soon and gets things going.

Offline Rathbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2021, 11:06:09 AM »
The first few days of season were a little slow - not much movement in the area I was in.  Haven't been back out since opening weekend, but plan on being in a tree on Saturday with the cooldown.
"Lungs are guts.  You can quote me on that." - Gene Wensel

Offline Vesty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2021, 11:46:56 AM »
I have seen deer each of the 4 times I've been out.First and last light. I was at half draw on a 4pt last week but he turned at a bad angle and meander off. Hunting my own 30acres.

Offline 1Arrow1Kill

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Too Young to Be This Damn Old!
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2021, 10:56:20 AM »
Sweated through Oct. 1-4 in the Manistee National Forest.  Hunting partner and I saw only 1 small doe between us in 5 hunts each.  The deer were moving after dark to avoid the heat.  Saw a few rubs and 2 small scrapes.  Mosquitoes weren't too bad, but more plentiful than deer.  Didn't see many archers in the areas we hunt, but did stop and talk with 2 different camps of small game hunters.  Lots of squirrels this fall. 

Not heading back Up North to hunt deer until around Oct. 22.  Gonna fill my Fall Turkey Tag by then, I hope. The Great Northern Fireball is sending 'em down range in good order recently so I'm as confident as I am optimistic.  Good Luck Y'all!
I Become the Tree until I Become the Arrow.
Practice - Practice - Practice - Beer.  Works for me . . .

Online STICKBENDER98

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2021, 05:04:19 PM »
Haven't been out yet, between an elk hunt last month, and a wood cutting weekend last weekend I haven't had time, been checking cameras, and activity has been slow.  Went up to my hunting property today and did a walk around, and double checked some stands that I hadn't checked yet, found a few scrapes opened up and a few small rubs, apparently my cameras aren't in the right spots!!! :biglaugh: Ron, safe travels when you head north to your camp, I will be looking forward to stories and pictures, I always enjoy them when you share!!!!  I need to get back up there and hunt the "BIG" woods!!!

Jason
Too many bows to list, and so many more I want to try!  Keep the wind in your face, and your broadheads sharp.

Offline 1Arrow1Kill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2021, 10:36:36 PM »
Best wishes for a safe and successful year to the Shrew Haven gang.  Enjoy every moment Ron!!!  Looking forward with much anticipation to the 2021 photos and tales...

Online Bow man

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2021, 07:03:39 AM »
Deer really got active the last couple of days. saw lots of bucks moving and does out eating this one came to 15 yards last night
Compton Life Member
PBS QRM

Offline Bob Foster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2021, 07:25:47 AM »
 :clapper:

Offline Bob Foster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2021, 08:14:49 AM »
Friday Oct. 15th, saw a buck at 7:45am but couldn't put 3 point on one side so I let it walk. I didn't hunt Saturday.
Sunday morning I saw seven Doe, there were no shots I was comfortable with. Sunday evening was beautiful out, the wind was just right and no deer! I'm taking a 4 day weekend starting Friday.

Online Yooper-traveler

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2021, 11:24:32 AM »
Dad and I got to hunt together over the weekend. 40# bear 59.  Broke her femur on exit so it was an easy drag.

Klaatu, Verata, Nicto

Offline Bob Foster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2021, 11:56:51 AM »
Yooper-traveler,
Very nice doe  :thumbsup:
What broadhead were you using and arrow weight?
Bob

Online Yooper-traveler

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2021, 01:04:37 PM »
Bob those Easton legacy carbons.  No clue on the weight.  it's a Magnus stinger (killer bee).  No damage either so it's ready for duty.
Klaatu, Verata, Nicto

Online Yooper-traveler

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2021, 06:50:05 PM »
Bob about 377 grains.  So 9.3 GPI or so.
Klaatu, Verata, Nicto

Offline 1Arrow1Kill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2021, 10:16:53 PM »
Congrats Men!  Keep at it!  Sounds (and looks) like my next trip North this week Friday is right on time.  Love hearing the cooler weather has the deer moving during daylight hours.  Anyone seeing any 'seeking' or 'trailing' behavior yet?

Online kstout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2021, 07:25:24 PM »
It's been real slow here in Mecosta county.  No acorns here, the gypsy moths stripped all the oaks.  I've seen a few does, and one spike horn since October 1.

Offline degabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2021, 09:32:38 PM »
Too warm yet and since I hunt behind the house I have time yet.

Offline Bob Foster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2021, 09:02:48 AM »
I have hunted the last 3 evenings and have not seen any deer. It’s been bright as hell out while driving home. Is the moon phase and the warm temps are keeping the deer movement down?
We’re supposed to get some rain showers over the next few days with lower temps. Does weather trump moon phases when it comes to deer movement? Just one of the thoughts I have sitting to the stand for hours.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©