3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Who's a "1 Bow" Man...?? (or Woman?)  (Read 3068 times)

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Who's a "1 Bow" Man...?? (or Woman?)
« on: October 16, 2021, 04:10:14 PM »
I've got a collection of bows....

I've got 8 old 1960's Bear recurves, 2 custom longbows, and a Howard Hill Mountain Man longbow
I actually do, shoot them all from time to time...

I bought my 2015 Bear Kodiak T/D that year. I've wanted one my entire life.
When we settled our Union contract and I got a nice back-pay check, I decided it was time.
So, I called Big Jim and ordered a Bubinga/Black Maple A-handle with #1 limbs.
It was on my doorstep in a few days!! I swore this would be my "Hunting Bow" till the day I died....

Last year, they came out with the new "Mag-handle" So, I called Big Jim and got on the list....
It didn't arrive untill after bow season, so I intended to hunt with it this year. I've shot it, and LOVE IT!!!!

I've been out hunting with it 4 times this year.... Didn't see any deer, and missed 3 squirrels.
For some reason, it just doesn't feel "lucky"??  :dunno:
So, I'm back to my old Kodiak T/D.... It just seems to feel right.  :archer:

Btw, Last night I almost pulled the trigger on a 50th Anniversary, Black Maple B-handle.
I've got an extra set of #1 limbs!! Old Papa Bear shot a B-handle with #1 limbs!!
I had it all ordered.... Just had to hit the "pay" button.... Then I thought, REALLY DUDE!!??  :knothead:

Guess I'm just a "1 Bow" man!!
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Who's a "1 Bow" Man...?? (or Woman?)
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2021, 04:16:59 PM »
Not me, I have more than anyone person should have, but I do have a couple of favorites. !
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Bisch

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2021, 05:33:04 PM »
Depends on how you define it??? I have a bunch of bows, but I only practice and hunt with one bow. That one bow changes from time to time depending on needs or situations, but like I said above, I only practice and hunt with the current “one”!

Right now that one is a Sarrels Blueridge longbow, 44@29.

Bisch

Online STICKBENDER98

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2021, 05:35:44 PM »
I'm with you Ron!!! I have more than I can shoot at one time, I do shoot them all.  But I have come close to becoming a one bow man sort of.......with my new Northern Mist Skanee that arrived this spring.  I had ordered a 66" bow with 55# limbs, and when the Traditional bow Expo didn't happen in Kalamazoo in January, I got a hold of Steve and ordered another set of limbs that make a 60" bow at 45#.  Both sets of limbs shoot great, and I don't have to adjust much when shooting them.  The heavy set went to Colorado with me, unfortunately was not able to get close enough to an animal for a shot.  I have the 45# set on the riser now ready for deer season here in Michigan.  But there are still too many bows out there I want to try to stay a one bow man.

Jason
Too many bows to list, and so many more I want to try!  Keep the wind in your face, and your broadheads sharp.

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2021, 06:45:31 PM »
One bow. I went through a few and when . I found this one I vowed never shall we part.

ElkMaster at rest

« Last Edit: October 16, 2021, 07:00:06 PM by jhg »
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2021, 07:22:07 PM »
RonW,
Your answer reminds me of my wife’s answer, when she came home from shopping with three pairs of shoes.
My daughter asked her if she had a shoe fetish and she replied, “no, I only have a few pairs that I actually wear.”😂
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline Blackstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2021, 09:12:57 PM »
I'm a "Just 1 More Bow" man.  :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

Offline Longrifleman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2021, 06:39:38 AM »
Blackstick-that title is priceless!! Made me laugh out loud! :biglaugh:

I've been a "Just 1 more bow" man for probably 25 years-some stayed, some didn't...My herd is currently at 13...but I do regularly shoot them....yeah, I've got it bad!!!

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2021, 08:05:53 AM »
I get it guys!!! I've got a bunch of bows, and I shoot them all....

But, isn't there one bow.... That come hunting season, you always just seem to grab...??
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2021, 08:27:03 AM »
I can't imagine wanting just one bow. Even though some of them spend most of their time in the rack, I have no desire to get rid of any of them. It may be a bit selfish, but the pride of ownership is a source of genuine enjoyment. Most of my shooting is done with two or three bows, but my others aren't going anywhere.
Sam

Offline Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2021, 08:32:20 AM »
I’ve settled on two. Super Shrew Classic Hunter II (this is closest to the one bow chance that I have) and the new camouflage A handle Bear Takedown with #1 limbs.  Just can’t seem to be without a Bear bow around. 
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2021, 09:23:46 AM »
One bow at a time. As I’ve moved down a bit in weight I don’t have as many choices hanging on the rack. I’ve been shooting the same bow for a year now. Otherwise I would pick one and that would be the one for that season.
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2021, 09:28:51 AM »
I've shot the same bow and no others to hunt for 5 years now.

Only exception was a 58" D/R I built from scraps last winter, and it shot my hunting arrows perfectly so I took it the nite after I sprayed it and a doe happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.  Then back to ol reliable...
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline BRONZ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2021, 09:23:07 PM »
I'm a one bow guy...my Fox High Sierra since 2008.
We've killed a lot of critters together.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/fDCgMPYW1XStos867
"He trains my hands for battle; my arms can bend a bow of bronze."
2 Samuel 22:35

Wheatland Christian Bowhunters--Chairman

Offline A Lex

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2021, 10:46:20 PM »
Well, I've got three bows, but I guess I fit in the "One Bow" category as they are pretty much all the same apart from their draw weights and the woods. I've got three 66" Blackwidow PLX take-downs, 75lb, 65lb and 55lb. Mostly shoot the 75, but the other two certainly don't get left on the rack though.

Actually just yesterday evening I took the 55 for a stumping walk in the bush. Had a ball shooting leaves, sticks, toadstools and stumps etc.

Best to all
Lex
Good hunting to you all.
May the wind be your friend, and may your arrows fly true,
Most of all, may the appreciation and the gratitude of what we do keep us humble......

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2021, 12:16:22 AM »
I am down to four bows, other than a couple of bows kept for nostalgic reasons. I have two long bows, a JD Berry Morningstar and a Northern Mist Ramer. One recurve, a Tall Tines recurve and a Tall Tines Stickflinger.

I like them all but if I was to go hunting tomorrow, it would probably be the Stickflinger. (Subject to change weekly)😁
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Online Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2021, 02:41:08 AM »
I am kinda a 1 bow man for about 3 months out of the year.That would be hunting Season.

been through a ton of bows over the years.When I 1st starting shooting trad though I was pretty much a one bow guy for about 5 years.You Can really get in touch with a bow when its all you shoot with the same arrows.Thats for sure!You gotta love that bow though if your a 1 bowman.

I see you are kinda doing the one bow things in a way with the Bear T.D.Now the thing about the Bear T.D is if you have a couple risers and 3 or 4 sets of limbs your kinda a 1 bow guy.But you really can have like 8 bows with the 2 risers.So thats one hell of a one bow kinda thing!

I only have 5 bows right now and dont plan on having much more than that.But one of my bows is the Bear T.D with A and B risers and 4 sets of limbs.I Will be shooting the A riser and 3 limbs and A riser and #2 limbs for a few more weeks and decide which one I will hunt with when I do most of my hunting in November.Very close call thier between those 2.

Offline Rob5589

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2021, 04:56:03 AM »
Man, I'm thinking if I want to fit in with this crowd, I'm gonna need to work a heck of a lot of overtime! :cheesy:
« Last Edit: October 18, 2021, 09:20:27 AM by Rob5589 »

Offline hawkeye n pa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2021, 07:06:52 AM »
I've been thinning the herd as I only shoot one, a Bear T/D.  Do have a couple of different weight limbs for it.  So does that make it two bows?
Jeff
>>>>---------->
Fear of the Lord is the beginning of Wisdom.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2021, 10:02:02 AM »
Oh, the HORROR!!!

One year I used  6 different bows to kill deer, hogs, pheasants, and quail.

MOAB 60, 64, and 70# - Lost creek NAT, A Mohawk longbow that Rob D gave me, and an ACS prototype.

I look at bows as tools. I'm not going to take a 68" HH into the thick stuff, nor do I prefer any bow from 62 - 68 in that environment. 60" is borderline, but 58or 56 is were it's at. And if I'm on a hunt where I can use long longbows, I have a  56 or 58"er with me, either in my vehicle or in camp,  for recovery if the game goes into the thick stuff just in case, whether if its my recovery or someone else's.

I got Lucky on this one with my 64" MOAB. I went into the thick stuff after some hogs I'd heard squeal and snuck up on about 12 of them in a bunch. (see what I mean by thick) And this one was the 3rd hog that I've killed that was charging me.  I change bows like I change cant angles,... what ever is needed for the job at hand.

Cade Cabrera was all hyped up over it.......

Cade made out pretty good that weekend as well with his short bow...  :goldtooth:

Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©