3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Safari Tuff or GN is  (Read 922 times)

Online ny state land

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Safari Tuff or GN is
« on: October 18, 2021, 05:46:10 PM »
Guys I have an interest in the safari tuff quivers. Ok have had the GN strap on and do like them. Any comparison between the two ?

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Safari Tuff or GN is
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2021, 06:40:17 PM »
Every time I go down the safari tuff or similar road I can't accept the added mobility issues over a bow quiver. I know many say its NOT an issue and I do like the idea no quiver on the bow. But with everything else I have hanging off my body- backpack, bugle, binos or whatever it never makes sense for how I hunt.
I run the GN and have been for 10 years.
 To thine own self be true...
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Online ny state land

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2021, 07:19:03 PM »
That is so appreciated!  Yes that’s a concern that I actually can’t fit all the crap I bring already!

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2021, 07:43:46 PM »
I have used a bow quiver since 1976 when I started bowhunting.

I really liked using a back quiver! I've got a couple side stalkers that worked well. I tried a Catquiver, that was great for carrying my gear. I liked the idea of a pack & quiver combined, I just couldn't get used to it on my back. I imagine the SafariTuff would be the same??

All things considered, I just like having my bow and arrows together... Grab and go!!
The few odds & ends go in my hunting shirt pockets, and my license is pinned to the back.
I put on my hunting shirt, grab my bow, and I'm hunting.....  :archer:
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2021, 08:15:32 PM »
I'm on the other side.  I love the Safari Tuff quiver, and use it every time I hunt.  It hangs perfectly to the side of my day pack and I don't feel any discomfort at all from carrying it.  All my feathers are out of sight and out of the rain, yet my arrows can be withdrawn from the quiver with less movement and visability, I believe, than from a bow quiver.  Note I said a day pack.  I doubt that it could be carried as conveniently if you were wearing a pack frame or a full size backpack.  However, I have never carried anything larger than a day pack while hunting.  When I am in a tree stand, I hang the quiver on something convenient and keep an arrow nocked on my bow.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2021, 08:26:55 PM »
My Safari Tuff has been across the big pond and has easily endured well over 500 hunts.

I have absolutely have no need to look for something else.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Online mjh

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2021, 09:55:28 PM »
Never been much of a bow quiver guy.  I've been using a Safari Tuff now for a while.  Best of the side or side stalker type quivers I have used.

Offline flyonline

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2021, 04:21:28 AM »
You pays yer money and you takes yer chances as my old man would say. Everything is a compromise, quivers are no exception.

I started with a bow quiver, but bought a safari tuff because I don't like having stuff hanging off my bow - I can tune the bow/arrow combo as is and not worry about another half dozen upsetting the balance later. I really like that I can withdraw and return an arrow with virtually no movement once my hand is by my side. I also like keeping the rain/dew/brush off the fletchings and the flouro orange/chartreuse away from prying eyes.

I did make a modification in adding a buckle on the strap so I can put it on/take it off no matter what else is around my arms or neck. It also allows me to strap it to my big hiking pack, wear it over my shoulder with a day pack or just on it's own with a bottle of water and a muesli bar or hang nearby when sitting in an ambush. There's always a spot for a spare string, a windicator, pair of secateurs, bottle of water etc. as well.

The only downside I've found is that it's longer than my packs, so I have to be careful catching on stuff and be a little careful dumping my pack on the ground.

No reason you couldn't mock up your own version with a bit of PVC pipe and rope for a hands on tryout.

Online ny state land

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2021, 05:44:59 AM »
There is no adverse effect on the fletching with the arrows laying on their side?

Online Ryan Rothhaar

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2021, 06:11:18 AM »
I am an old school bowquiver guy, that said I used a side quiver for about 5 seasons when I was shooting one piece bows. I preferred the Duiker over the larger safari tuff. Duiker is perfect for 4 arrows for me, I use 4 fletch and large feathers. The larger one has more capacity than I want and starts to become unwieldy for me. I changed out the hood foam to thicker so I could fully bury a big Snuffer, covered the nylon banding around the bottom arrow hole with moleskin, added a small, flat pouch for carrying license and a few very small items. The pouch on the bigger safari tuff ways felt like it made the quiver want to be top-heavy if I put much into it and make it feel like it wanted to flip over.

I found that I prefer to reinsert arrows from the top of the quiver when possible. I'd ruffle them up putting back in from bottom. If you have enough arrows in there for the fletching of each arrow to support the other I've never had flattened feathers. I'd see if you had only 1 or 2 in it maybe, or if you tried to shove a dozen in there.

I carried mine with a frame pack during packing into several hunts, strapped on the frame, no issue, but I don't hunt with a frame.

Overall, for me, the Duiker is a very nice set up and I've used it quite alot. Will again in the future.

R
« Last Edit: October 19, 2021, 06:24:25 AM by Ryan Rothhaar »

Online Michael Guran

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2021, 07:53:40 AM »
Hey Stacy, the broadheads are stuck in the foam and don’t really move once they are in there.  It does take a little practice to see what arrow arrangement works best, but once you figure that out it works well.  Definitely less feather damage compared to moving though the brush with a bow quiver in my opinion.  I agree with Flyonline that there is no such thing as a perfect quiver!

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2021, 08:19:54 AM »
I use both, depends on the environment and the type of hunting I'm doing.  Never had fetching damage to the feathers with a bow quiver and I hunt thick brush all the time, no tuning issues, feathers getting very wet, and I also use bright chartreuse feathers that are also out of sight from prying eyes. I use a fletch cover. And don't tell me its noisy removing arrows cause if it was I wouldn't use it.  You have to use the right fletch cover design and materials. Nor is there more movement involve in reloading, maybe even less, and definitely a more stealthy movement.

But again, I use both, just depends. My Safari Tuff has been around 10 to 12 years. Good quality and durable side quiver for sure.

Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2021, 09:42:31 AM »
...I found that I prefer to reinsert arrows from the top of the quiver when possible. I'd ruffle them up putting back in from bottom...

I was wondering about that. I was considering having one arrow on the bow. Easy on easy off, empty bow at the shot. But I am lucky- the length, weight of my arrows and how my GN straps on my bow, it is perfectly balanced and I feel that is very important in how a bq feels at the shot.
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2021, 10:22:03 AM »
I have both, a Safari-tuff Duiker and a Great Northern strap on.
I use them both depending on the circumstances.  If I were to limit myself to just one I’d keep the Safari-Tuff.

I have strapped the SF to a full sized pack without issue, but I wouldn’t shoot with a full pack on my back do I font see it as any hindrance.

I do like grabbing my bow and having the arrows right there as well.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©