3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What's heaviest Bear 76'r limbs that were made?  (Read 2622 times)

Offline styksnstryngs

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What's heaviest Bear 76'r limbs that were made?
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2021, 10:00:07 AM »
The difference between a 480 grain arrow going at 176 fps and a 580 grain arrow going 176 fps is pretty big.

Offline Sam Spade

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2021, 10:27:51 AM »
The difference between a 480 grain arrow going at 176 fps and a 580 grain arrow going 176 fps is pretty big.

I was hiding and watching to see if anyone would speak up about what you just posted.  He asked for the 'heaviest limbs' so if he got 65#ers at 176 with a 680 grain arrow, there is a HUGE difference.  Thank you.

Offline styksnstryngs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2021, 10:32:02 AM »
I was hiding and watching to see if anyone would speak up about what you just posted.  He asked for the 'heaviest limbs' so if he got 65#ers at 176 with a 680 grain arrow, there is a HUGE difference.  It absolutely has nothing to do with speed. Nothing.  Thank you.
Yeah, I mean the setup he has is plenty good for deer, but I don't think many people would want to take that on a moose or even an elk hunt when they can shoot heavier limbs anyways. I don't know about you guys, but I am not going to take a pair of old 45# limbs on a rare and probably pretty expensive moose draw hunt.

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2021, 12:08:40 PM »
Well, my friend.....

Again, we agree, to disagree...   :thumbsup: :campfire: :thumbsup:
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline Bamboozle

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2021, 06:46:54 PM »
Well, my friend.....

You keep believing that fairy tale.
Get bamboo.

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2021, 07:10:54 PM »
And he just keeps coming back for more..... :deadhorse:

Offline Russell Southerland

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2021, 07:34:33 PM »
Well, my friend.....

You keep believing that fairy tale.

Sorry woodchucker, but I'm with Boo on this one. 100%

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2021, 07:58:49 PM »
As I stated before... We can agree, to disagree. That's what makes TradGang great!!!  :archer: :campfire: :archer:

As our leader Terry says, "Debate is good! As one sword sharpens the other"

Several times, I have gentlemanly tried to "bow out" however our friend continues to come back with comments directed towards me.... I even sent him a PM early on, suggesting we discuss this between ourselves, lest this thread takes a nasty turn, (I've seen a number over the years) and then Terry steps in and shuts it down.
Our friend has chose not to do that... Nope, not a peep on PM :dunno:

Rule #1, EXPECT to be RESPECTED!!

Many here have different opinions.... We agree, to disagree. That is the gentlemanly thing to do.
However, our friend insists that he knows more than me, and he's gonna make damn sure that I, and everyone else KNOWS IT!!!

So.... Sir Bamboozle, Knower and Teller of all things Traditional Archery and Bowhunting Related....

I hearby surrender to you Sir....  :notworthy:

Offline Sam Spade

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2021, 09:12:44 PM »
woodchuck, you just made a statement on opinions, yes you have an opinion.  Boo and others are stating facts. Another HUGE difference. I don't see any reason to 'shut this thread down' as your statements are a disservice to the traditional community because they are not true. The facts being stated are well known truths, and have been for decades, and you are in complete denial of them. I truly don't get it.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2021, 10:33:05 PM »
Chuck, you and I are still pals. I agree a slow bow is equally effective in killing deer as a fast bow given other variables are correct, most important proper tuning, sharp broad heads and well placed shots.

76er, had 3 with 45 lb limbs, I've seen 50 but no heavier. 

Deer hunting with a 76er? People do it and are successful annually. Moose hunting? I'm not sure why anyone would.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2021, 06:46:36 PM »
Hopefully this post will clear the waters...

These 3 bows were delivered to me back in 2004 to celebrate Tradgang's 1st Anniversary. I have been hunting with the 60 & 70#ers ever since, and Rob has been hunting with the 50#er since then till about 2 years ago when he sent it to me so I could use it in my golden years. (not there yet  :laugh:)

So, all made at the same time, by the same bowyer, all the same model, all the same lengths, all the same materials, all the same draw lengths.  All also use the same arrow, weight was increased for the 60#er by adding aquarium tubing and head weight change, and the 70#er with weed eater line inside the aquarium tubing and different head weight. All arrow weights were right at 9.5 grains per #, and arrow speed was right at 185-187FPS with all 3 bows. Although the speed might be relevant to the hunter, it is irrelevant in the test as long as all 3 are very close to the same, as well as arrow speed.

Here are the numbers I ran on them back then..... Kinetic Energy and Momentum.

50# - KE = 37.99 - MO = .411

60# - KE = 45.59 - MO = .493 

Difference in Percentages - KE = 27.795 % - MO = 19%

This is a very significant increase of power in the two bows.

70# - KE = 53.19 - MO = .575

Difference in Percentages  - KE = 55.804 % - MO - 39.903 %

This is a HUGE increase in the power of the two bows. 

Momentum is really the most important number, and its right at a 40% Increase.

So, if the OP old_goat2 went from 45# limbs to 65# limbs, he would expect very close to those same percentages in increase of power.

:campfire:
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline styksnstryngs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2021, 06:50:12 PM »
Hopefully this post will clear the waters...

These 3 bows were delivered to me back in 2004 to celebrate Tradgang's 1st Anniversary. I have been hunting with the 60 & 70#ers ever since, and Rob has been hunting with the 50#er since then till about 2 years ago when he sent it to me so I could use it in my golden years. (not there yet  :laugh:)

So, all made at the same time, by the same bowyer, all the same model, all the same lengths, all the same materials, all the same draw lengths.  All also use the same arrow, weight was increased for the 60#er by adding aquarium tubing and head weight change, and the 70#er with weed eater line inside the aquarium tubing and different head weight. All arrow weights were right at 9.5 grains per #, and arrow speed was right at 185-187FPS with all 3 bows. Although the speed might be relevant to the hunter, it is irrelevant in the test as long as all 3 are very close to the same, as well as arrow speed.

Here are the numbers I ran on them back then..... Kinetic Energy and Momentum.

60# - KE = 45.59 - MO = .493 

Difference in Percentages - KE = 27.795 % - MO = 19%

This is a very significant increase of power in the two bows.

70# - KE = 53.19 - MO = .575

Difference in Percentages  - KE = 55.804 % - MO - 39.903 %

This is a HUGE increase in the power of the two bows. 

Momentum is really the most important number, and its right at a 40% Increase.

So, if the OP old_goat2 went from 45# limbs to 65# limbs, he would expect very close to those same percentages in increase of power.

:campfire:
I think this puts into context why people should try to shoot as much weight as comfortable for them-- not because it'll send an arrow faster, but because it can shoot a heavy arrow at a reasonable velocity for hunting purposes.

Offline Sam Spade

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2021, 09:38:16 AM »
YES!!! Those are the numbers we have been referring to, but everyone kept them to themselves it seems to see if KE and MO would get mentioned. Thanks, that's about as cold hard facts as you can get.  :campfire:

Offline Skates 2

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2021, 12:51:38 PM »
YES!!! Those are the numbers we have been referring to, but everyone kept them to themselves it seems to see if KE and MO would get mentioned. Thanks, that's about as cold hard facts as you can get.  :campfire:

What he said. ^^^  :clapper: :clapper: :clapper:

Offline Russell Southerland

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2021, 07:21:47 AM »
Yep, like I said, 100%.

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2021, 10:16:56 PM »
Been reading the posts, but not for last few days, about to start my seventh 12hr shift in the last eight days. Had last Monday off, went up to the mountains to hunt snowshoes and shoot some broadheads, ended up with 200's versus the 175gr, not sure of the speed now but they fly great. Did Chrono the 588gr arrow though, 160fps which isn't a total dog but not where I shine shooting wise. I used to shoot Dryad ACS and the like, I know what fast is with a 31" draw, but with them I was amazing at long shots, but with my split low anchor I absolutely sucked at bread and butter sub 20yd shots! Started shooting a little bit lighter bow with same arrows and dropped into the 170fps range and all of a sudden I was good short and ok at the longer shots. If high speed was my desire, I can certainly get there with ease, my desire is consistency and I have a number of Toelkes that I can switch back and forth between with ease, I want to hunt with this bow for sentimental reasons, it's just like bow I had as a kid that I had no idea I could hunt big game with, didn't know a soul that bow hunted growing up. I killed my first turkey a few years ago with it, even got "Hunter of the Week"on here for it. I'm going to keep my eyes open for a brown set of 50# limbs and see what I can do! Hell I never kill elk anyways so I probably can just carry it as is and shoot grouse!
« Last Edit: October 26, 2021, 10:39:06 PM by old_goat2 »
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©