3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Shrewhaven or bust-bust for me  (Read 2174 times)

Offline Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Shrewhaven or bust-bust for me
« on: October 23, 2021, 05:54:31 AM »
Well the 30th anniversary of Shrewhaven is underway.  A couple of guys are in camp already and the first deer hit the ground last night.  Early reports are that deer herd has fared well the last two winters and there’s a bumper acorn crop, so I’m anticipating a good looking deer hanging picture. 
However, for me, well fate had different plans for me.  After spending a few weeks in Michigan’s Upper Peninsula (only a few hours from camp) vacationing with my wife and visiting out two daughters who go to school (one at Michigan Tech and one at Northern Michigan University), I began to feel punky two days before heading home. Trip to the ER showed I had a perforated appendix and they would operate next morning. Dr. comes in to room next morning and says although leaking he feels still pretty straight forward and could possibly be released by late afternoon. We’ll late afternoon comes and I finally get to surgery.  3 days later after what seemed like minor complications I get released and my wife drives me 5 hours home. Next day I’m already spiking a fever and calls back to surgeons office get response’just had major surgery and low grade temperature is normal’.
Next day I go in to local ER in late afternoon(which is overwhelmed with patients). The next morning at 6 am I finally get a CT scan ordered (but still not in a room because there isn’t one).  So I have an ileus (blockage in intestines)/infection. Finally get in ER room and have worst 3 minute experience of my life You do NOT ever want an NG tube inserted (up through your nose and down into your stomach while you drink water to make sure it goes down correct pipe).  I’ve not thrown up in 41 years-until that- and it was like someone poked a bloated deer on side of road.  So, five days of draining gunk out the tube through my nose (I had gained 20 pounds of fluid after surgery and looked like I was pregnant with triplets), being fed through a tube in my arm that went to my heart (picc line) so that they could shut my digestive system down completely then slowly restart. Released from hospital and feeling better but get home and spiking low grade fever and night sweats (sometimes changing soaked bedding two times in a night).  Finally last weekend fever is gone for three day and night sweats haven’t happened for two nights.  Meeting with surgeon for follow up appointment on Monday afternoon.  Exam goes well, I have no fever, no night sweats, I walked 4-5 miles each day for last two days, voracious appetite and good bowel movements. Dr seems encouraged but he says he wants CT scan for confirmation that everything is clear.  I say OK, IF everything is all clear, can I go to deer camp that weekend??? I strategically asked in front of my wife because she was Leary of me going off right after all I’d been through and being 5 hours away.  Do CT scan that evening and I’m already one foot out the door to camp (still finishing last round of oral antibiotics but otherwise feeling good). Wife is even on board saying let’s get you packed for camp. Shrewhaven here I come!!!  Dr. Kam two hours later-you’ve got an abscess in lower right abdomen where your appendix was and we need to have a catheter drain inserted into your side to drain this-sorry but no camp for you.  Ouch-talk about a sucker punch!!  We wait and plan and banter all year about camp, and I’ve been medically snake bit for a month.  Well I’m going to live vicariously through the phone calls and pictures texts from camp over this next week.  Dr says this should be last of my saga so hopefully by next weekend I can get out in the woods locally for the first time (surgery was September 27) and catch the beginning of the major rut in our area.  Hopefully Ron and the guys will get the annual Shrewhaven thread going before too long. 

NG tube 😬😬

No more tube, of course I am smiling!!

How many doctors does it take to consult-2.5!!

Hopefully the final step
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Online Ryan Rothhaar

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Shrewhaven or bust-bust for me
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2021, 06:39:38 AM »
Ugh, your appendix is really putting you through the ringer. That is one thing I always worried about on backcountry hunts....a bad appendix can kill you in about three days. A couple years ago mine went south. I wanted to tough out the sickness, felt like really bad food poisoning, but the wife made me go see the vet.  Ruptured appendix. I was lucky with no complications other than the drain tube like you have for a week. Wouldn't have been shooting a bow for a couple weeks. Glad it didn't happen while I was in Alaska or something.......glad for you that you weren't in camp...you would probably have toughed it out and made it even worse.

Funny story, by the time they wheeled me into the operating room it felt like someone was stabbing me in the belly with a knife every couple minutes.  The anesthesiologist was making small talk while he was hooking me up. And I told him "Put me under, she REALLY wants out!"  He started laughing and asked me how I knew my appendix was a she...knifelike pain hit and thru the fog I said "Anything that can hurt you this bad has to be female".  I heard a snort like an old doe winding you and looked over to see 2 female nurses standing there.   😀

Get better!  There will be another deer season!

R

Offline hawkeye n pa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2021, 07:12:34 AM »
Prayers for a complete recovery.
Jeff
>>>>---------->
Fear of the Lord is the beginning of Wisdom.

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2021, 07:33:57 AM »
Hang in there, Brother!!!!! Keep me posted!!

:pray: :pray: :pray: :campfire: :pray: :pray: :pray:
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Online TIM B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2021, 07:57:18 AM »
Wish you the best Ray….get well soon friend
Tim B

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2021, 08:23:52 AM »
Dang Ray, you've been thru the wringer! Hope you get healed up man!
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline GCook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2021, 09:16:45 AM »
That's a bad run.  Glad you are on the mend. 
I can afford to shoot most any bow I like.  And I like Primal Tech bows.

Offline Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2021, 09:57:56 AM »

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2021, 10:04:51 AM »
 :thumbsup:

Heal up quickly, Ray...

Online stagetek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2021, 02:38:33 PM »
That sucks Ray. But, look at the bright side, it could have happened while you were in camp. You might have been in big trouble then. Heal quick !

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2021, 02:50:37 PM »
True Bummer.  You've been through a lot.  Here's hoping for a quick and final recovery.

Offline electricstart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2021, 07:01:48 PM »
Get Well

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2021, 09:41:05 PM »
Dang Ray, hope you heal up in time to enjoy some season
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline mj seratt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2021, 03:53:05 AM »
Ray, sending praers for complete healing.

Murray
Murray Seratt

Online shick

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2021, 04:38:57 AM »
My goodness Ray, you sure know how to get out of 'going to camp'.  I feel for you buddy.  Do what the doctors tell you, and get better.
Shick
TGMM Family of the Bow
DAV

Offline Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2021, 07:17:33 AM »
Thank you for all the kind well wishes.  There’s certainly been some physical challenges (NG tube!!), but mentally this has been trying. In the two weeks before I went into ER for the first time my wife and I had walked/hiked 100 miles.  This laying around business is not for me.  Two more camp members just arrived in camp within last hour and Ron/Roger will be heading up together soon.  Ron’s getting a new boot for his foot that will make him more mobile and Roger has a new granddaughter to meet that was born yesterday.  ‘This too shall come to pass’—thankful for good health care.  At this point my wish is Ron has a great camp.  He missed last year because of his foot issues  and at 85 years young he deserves to enjoy what he created 30 years ago. 

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2021, 09:16:33 AM »
Glad you're felling better Ray, and Thank You for the updates!!!!!

Looking forward to more!!!   :archer: :campfire: :archer:
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Online chinook907

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2021, 09:30:40 AM »
Man that's rough. Hang in there.
"Have I not commanded you ? Be strong and courageous.  Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go." Joshua 1:9

Bisch

« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2021, 09:34:13 AM »
Hope you heal up sooner than later, and get back in the woods!!!!!

Bisch

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©