Author Topic: Making a kids bow  (Read 940 times)

Offline katalyzt

• Trad Bowhunter
Making a kids bow
« on: October 29, 2021, 05:13:23 PM »
First off hi! Been lurking for a few months learning a ton from you guys.  I figure I better start participating so I can learn more and hopefully give back a bit of what I've been picking up.

Anyway, I have a couple questions on making a kids bow and I was hoping somebody on here has some experience building them.  I've been asked to make one a few times now and so far I've just kind of turned them toward 3river or something since I've never built one.  However, I just had someone ask again and I have a four year old son myself who has outgrown his first sportsmans warehouse bow, so now might be the time to learn.  I've made a few glass TDR but only for adults so I'm not sure what changes to make in the design/dimensions.  I'm aiming for #20 which is pretty light compared to the #45-#55 I'm usually making so I'm unsure if I can lose all that weight by milling a thinner taper lam and bringing in the sides a bit.  Do I just basically use my head and kind of just shrink the whole system and go for best guess and if I miss I just adjust and try again, or are there some tricks or gotchays you guys have experienced that could help me dial in my design before cutting wood?  General riser size? Or even some youth bow plans that I could derive the basic dimensions from (I couldn't find any)? Considerations?

I think it would be nice to do a TDR glass bow at #20.  Not sure the draw length yet but the potential client is a 10 yr old girl gymnast if that helps give some idea.

Thanks in advance.

Online jess stuart

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Making a kids bow
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2021, 11:24:29 PM »
I'll offer what I know.  I build my kids bows as a r/d longbow they are 46" long and 1" wide.  I use 2" glass and split it into 1" strips with a utility knife.  It has a 12" riser and a stack of .200 will give about15# @ 20".  Hopefully that helps a little.  Please feel free to reach out with questions.

Offline Longcruise

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2021, 11:05:09 AM »
Hey,  Jess what taper are you using in your stack.   I think i used too much in mine.
"Every man is the creature of the age in which he lives;  very few are able to raise themselves above the ideas of the time"     Voltaire

Offline katalyzt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2021, 12:33:22 PM »
Thanks Jess that's exactly what I was looking fo.  That gives me an idea of where to start.  Probably a dumb question showing my ignorance here but what's an r/d longbow?

Offline Mad Max

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2021, 03:21:18 AM »
https://www.tradgang.com/tgsmf/index.php?topic=64610.0
Recurve is curved a good bit more at the tips
I would rather fail at something above my means, than to succeed at something  beneath my means  
}}}}===============>>

Online jess stuart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2021, 09:10:39 AM »
Reflex deflex.  Good luck on your build they are additive.  My kids bow is probably my most enjoyable bow to build.  Not because of the build. but the smiles on the kids faces.

Online jess stuart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2021, 10:17:15 PM »
Longcruise I use .002" taper.  I think parallel would be just as good.

Offline Longcruise

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2021, 08:01:29 PM »
Longcruise I use .002" taper.  I think parallel would be just as good.

Thanks!  I went..003 and it was too much.   They are usable bows but would be better with less.   Maybe. 001 next time around.
"Every man is the creature of the age in which he lives;  very few are able to raise themselves above the ideas of the time"     Voltaire

Offline Jeff Freeman

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Just a Hobby, gotta keep it fun 🏹
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2021, 09:49:57 AM »
I have built a few little kid longbows. I went with a .002 taper also. JF
🦌🏹😃

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©