Author Topic: Staining birds eye for veneers?  (Read 2364 times)

Offline Mad Max

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Staining birds eye for veneers?
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2021, 05:46:36 PM »
I’ve stained a lot of veneers using Transtint Dyes dissolved in alcohol, especially curly and quilted Maple. If you try to stain a thin veneer, it will curl or warp as it dries. I mill the veneers I plan to dye fairly thick, about 1/8” or so. I splice them together with superglue and run them through my drum sander using fine sandpaper, 180 or 220 grit, sanding only the side I plan to dye. After dyeing, I allow them to dry thoroughly, then run them through the sander, using 60 grit on the un-dyed surface, to take them down to my desired thickness. I use a 6’ long by 4” wide piece of vertical grained Bamboo flooring as my sled, and I applied self stick drywall sanding sheets to the sled to prevent the lams from sliding while running them though the drum sander. I always dye and mill my veneers first in the building process. That tells my how thick my Bamboo cores should be to attain my desired stack. Works fo me!      Richard

I use 2 layers of paper towel on both sides of the veneers and a heavy flat riser wood on top of them over night and redo the paper towels and do the same again the next morning .
These were totally soaked with water base and worked fine. :thumbsup:

I would rather fail at something above my means, than to succeed at something  beneath my means  
}}}}===============>>

Offline oldandslow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2021, 05:56:56 PM »
I’ve stained a lot of veneers using Transtint Dyes dissolved in alcohol, especially curly and quilted Maple. If you try to stain a thin veneer, it will curl or warp as it dries. I mill the veneers I plan to dye fairly thick, about 1/8” or so. I splice them together with superglue and run them through my drum sander using fine sandpaper, 180 or 220 grit, sanding only the side I plan to dye. After dyeing, I allow them to dry thoroughly, then run them through the sander, using 60 grit on the un-dyed surface, to take them down to my desired thickness. I use a 6’ long by 4” wide piece of vertical grained Bamboo flooring as my sled, and I applied self stick drywall sanding sheets to the sled to prevent the lams from sliding while running them though the drum sander. I always dye and mill my veneers first in the building process. That tells my how thick my Bamboo cores should be to attain my desired stack. Works fo me!      Richard

I use 2 layers of paper towel on both sides of the veneers and a heavy flat riser wood on top of them over night and redo the paper towels and do the same again the next morning .
These were totally soaked with water base and worked fine. :thumbsup:

Oh that looks nice!
Why did you hold out so long? :o

Offline Mad Max

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2021, 07:59:29 PM »
Curly maple

I would rather fail at something above my means, than to succeed at something  beneath my means  
}}}}===============>>

Offline oldandslow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2021, 08:33:18 PM »
Oh yes. Thats so nice.
I have some of those transtint dyes.
Will have to give it some time to work out the colors

Offline Appalachian Hillbilly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2021, 05:43:16 AM »
Mad Max, is there glass on that bow?

I have some curly maple that I want to use some Transtint on but was worried about it interfering with the epoxy.

Offline Mad Max

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2021, 08:11:17 AM »
Yes glass bow
Aniline dye water base
1 oz is all you will ever need
1 oz to 1  quart of water
I go with 1/4 cup of boiling water to 27 grains of dye
convert 1 oz to grains (I use a reload scale for reloading bullets to measure grains)
1 oz is 437 grains divided by 16 is 27 grains, 1 quart is 4 cups divided by 16 is 1/4 cup
I use 2 layers of paper towel on both sides of the veneers and a heavy flat riser wood on top of them over night and redo the paper towels and do the same again the next morning until dry .
These were totally soaked with water base and worked fine.
This is were I get mine, I want to try grey on birdseye maple
https://woodworker.com/water-soluble-lt-gold-oak-aniline-dye-mssu-843-924.asp

I keep a dehumidifier in my bow shop running at 40% :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: November 15, 2021, 08:49:52 AM by Mad Max »
}}}}===============>>

Offline Flem

• Trad Bowhunter
  • "Don't quote me on that!"
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2021, 09:06:16 AM »
Love seeing pics of that bow :thumbsup: That is a Tour de Force of wood dyeing :notworthy:

Offline Mad Max

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2021, 09:17:47 AM »
How I did the starburst
I laid out vertical lines on a piece of paper and tape my veneers over it.
I used Orange Yellow and Brown, mixing 2 of the colors on the wood with a rag ( fold a rag into a ball, wrap it with another rag and tie it off with a rubber band ----->) I had about 6 of these tied off for mixing

It took a while to mix them

Brown orange yellow orange brown orange yellow orange brown orange yellow orange brown and so on
« Last Edit: November 15, 2021, 06:25:58 PM by Mad Max »
}}}}===============>>

Offline Richard Korte

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2021, 09:34:21 AM »
Here's a bow I made using Big Leaf quilted Maple veneers dyed with Transtint green dissolved in isopropyl alcohol. Transtint is a liquid, so no measuring is required...you just add the dye, stir, and dab some on a piece of scrap wood just like your veneers. (Wear gloves!) You can mix in different colors to get any effect you want. I did nothing special with these veneers. It's just 2-3 coats of plain green dye. The grain in the Maple does the rest.
Always do what’s right, even when no one is looking.

Offline oldandslow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2021, 09:57:16 AM »
Awesome look to that green. This is what I was hoping to get...

Offline Mad Max

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2021, 10:04:02 AM »
 :o really nice
}}}}===============>>

Offline Appalachian Hillbilly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2021, 10:42:17 AM »
Those are awesome! Mike Treadway showed me limbs with green Trans Tint on Black Limba veneers yesterday.  Apparently after drying it does not effect the epoxy.

Now if I can figure out how to dye maple in risers  that have other woods laminated with it.

Offline Flem

• Trad Bowhunter
  • "Don't quote me on that!"
« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2021, 04:38:48 PM »
That green is wild looking :thumbsup:
Looks 3-D in the pictures

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2021, 05:03:29 PM »