3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Buck 110 for everyday carry  (Read 2724 times)

Online stevem

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Buck 110 for everyday carry
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2021, 09:57:39 PM »
While I don't everyday carry.........my folks gave me a 110 when I moved to Colorado and started hunting elk.  This was in 1977.  Then I got another one 5 years later as a going away gift, engraved "Flathead N.F.".  Later I traded the 110 my folks gave me to my brother for my granddads 112 (which my brother had ended up with).  The 110 rides in my pack for every deer and elk hunt as a backup. The 112 rides in my Jeep full time for whenever I need it.   I actually prefer a Mora Clipper as the main knife.  But it looks "dorky" while the 110/112 are manly.
"What was big was not the fish, but the chance.  What was full was not the creel, but the memory" - Aldo Leopold   "Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement"- Will Rogers

Offline RJonesRCRV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2021, 08:19:30 PM »
I got a Buck 110 finger groove version for my 5 year anniversary at work, but haven't used it in the 5 years Ive had it, but its a nice knife.  I thought it would be too much for EDC personally, plus I prefer a pocket clip.

So I got the 112 Light, one for my son's first knife as well, and thats my EDC, as it fits in the small pocket in my work pants cargo pocket where its hidden.  Its considered FOD at work, and I already gave up wearing a watch, but I won't give up my pocket knife.

Side note: the 112 Light is cheap for a USA made knife, but for EDC it does the job just fine and won't break my heart if I lose it.  The thumb stud won't stay tight, but that isn't too big of a deal.
Kimsha Mattawoman II 51#
Dale Phillips Nodebow 58#
Kimsha 'Boo Bow 56#
USMC 2005-2010

Offline GCook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2021, 07:45:13 PM »
Well I was mistaken.  Mine is a 112 and the messed up knife is an Uncle Henry.  So I grabbed the buck, touched up the edge and took it to the ranch with me.  But it didn't take me long to remember why I did quit using it.  It just doesn't hold an edge cleaning pigs like a Kershaw.  I couldn't even get through one.  It sharpens up sweet but won't hold the edge for nothing.  I had to finish the job with my other knife. :dunno:
I can afford to shoot most any bow I like.  And I like Primal Tech bows.

Offline degabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2021, 09:03:40 PM »
I am still carrying the 110 that I bought in 1967 while I was in the Navy.

Offline KAZ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2021, 06:16:12 PM »
Love the stories on the Buck Knives. My wife/then Girl friend bought me my first Buck Knife, a 112 probably 35 years ago. I’ve taken it on every hunt since and it’s participated in every harvest dressing chores… which is a lot and very special to me :pray: :notworthy: :campfire:

Offline Zbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2021, 01:06:29 AM »
This thread is kinda ironic... A year or so ago was going through my knife collection (have quite a few) and notice my little limited edition penknife, a Schrade Cope USA #C194 Delrin Copenhagen Snuff Linerlock Slimline Trapper Knife (single-blade) was showing signs of corrosion and I don't remember ever carrying it... Anyhow I decided to carry it a while to wear it off... Have always carried a little keychain knife for decades, but it has been a long time, probably since a kid I carried pocket knife, but remember my grandfather always carried a penknife, which I actually have... Through the years have carried the Buck 110, the Bucklite, and the bigger folding hunter, (have had a few Buck folders) but they always seemed to big for everyday carry, and sometimes scared people when I brought them out so eventually evolved to a little keychain knife… Bummer when you don't have your keys on ya though...8^) but always have a hunting knife in both vehicles just in case...

So after carrying the little Schrade a while I realize I really, really liked it and started carrying it for everyday "all day"... It is very light and I didn't notice I had it on me along with a Bic lighter... My grandpa was a smart ole man and now realized why he carried one... Then I lost it and was bummed, although I eventually found it under the seat of my car... Afterwards, since it was a limited edition decided to put it back in my collection and find an alternative... After a little internet research, the first one I bought months ago was the Schrade Old Timer "Pal" Model 120T (single-blade)... Being a Schrade that looked similar  in pictures to another Schrade I figured they'd be the same size and feel, but they are not... I put them on digital scales, and the  Old Timer "Pal" is 424.6 grains and the limited edition Slimline Trapper Knife is 391.4 grains... You wouldn't think that little bit of weight would matter but it did along with the sharper scale corners... Just doesn't have the same feel in my pocket...

I really wanted another traditional style penknife and the next I bought was a Buck Model 375 "Deuce" (2-blade): 295.4 grains which is a little smaller and has two blades, but it's actually too small...

Next I bought the Buck Model 379 "Solo" (single-blade) 348.2 grains... Although I like the limited edition Slimline better, it's about perfect and easily available and won’t scare people when ya pull it out...

It's not for hunting but rather everyday "all day" carry and if I have any pants on with a pocket my little light weight Buck Solo penknife is in it all the time... They are affordable and readily available if I loose it, I'll just go buy another... And, if I had too, I could gut and skin a buck (pun intended...8^)) with it too...8^)
« Last Edit: November 10, 2021, 09:14:19 PM by Zbone »

Offline NY Yankee

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Wooden Bows, Wooden Arrows and 2-Blade Broadheads
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2021, 11:00:12 AM »
So many "knife snobs" complain about the weight, the blade steel and the size of the 110 as being too big for "EDC" Well I'll tell you, before there was "EDC" all of us farm kids and some others carried a Buck 110 on our belts and I still have a couple now. I can attest that they are NOT too heavy NOR too large and the blade steel is just fine if you are not cutting wire rope or scraping metal burrs out of a piece of water pipe. The Buck 110 is a great knife and every outdoorsman, farmer, or manual laborer should have one on their belt.  :thumbsup:
"Elk don't know how many feet a horse has!"
Bear Claw Chris Lapp

Online Tim Reese

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Cut it out
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2021, 08:40:48 PM »
:)
66” Northern Mist Superior
68” Howard Hill cheetah

Offline Zbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2021, 10:05:19 PM »
Wow, didn't realize I'm a "knife snob" would have been a good internet handle... :goldtooth:

Online mgf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2021, 05:47:24 AM »
So many "knife snobs" complain about the weight, the blade steel and the size of the 110 as being too big for "EDC" Well I'll tell you, before there was "EDC" all of us farm kids and some others carried a Buck 110 on our belts and I still have a couple now. I can attest that they are NOT too heavy NOR too large and the blade steel is just fine if you are not cutting wire rope or scraping metal burrs out of a piece of water pipe. The Buck 110 is a great knife and every outdoorsman, farmer, or manual laborer should have one on their belt.  :thumbsup:

I live out in the country and I love my 110. I almost always wear it around the property or when hunting/fishing.

But...many folks have jobs and other everyday activities that put them in places where you just can't carry something like a 110. For example I worked for a large corporation who's policy was that you could not possess any sharp tool/object unless it was a company issued tool. My boss took pity on those of us who would feel naked without at least a pocket knife and bought everybody in the department a little pocket knife that we could legally carry.

So my real "EDC" is one of several smaller buck folding pocket knives and then I have other knifes (including the 110) that I carry as appropriate and as mood dictates.

These days I live and work in farm country but I see more pliers being worn on belts than knives...some of these guys are always wrapping something up with wire. LOL

Offline Dave Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2021, 10:01:13 AM »
I have a prized 110 that was given to me by a close friend while I was in the hospital from a ruptured colon that happened on opening day of bowseason . I have cleaned a ton of game with it and the blade is worn down from sharpening. My friend passed away last summer which puts even more meaning into it. I’m tempted to put it up but know he would want me to continue to use it as intended.
Compton traditional bowhunters
PBS regular
Traditional bowhunters of Arkansas
I live to bowhunt!!!
60” Widow SAV recurve 54@28
60” Widow KBX recurve 53@27
64” DGA longbow 48@27

Offline Rooselk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2021, 03:42:51 PM »
Tim Reese: I find the LT version of the 110 to be quite handy. I like that they are lightweight and come with pocket clips. I have a couple of the RMEF edition of these knives that I received for being a volunteer with our local banquet committee.

I love Buck 110's. I have a custom 110 I had made to my specifications several years ago. That's my go-to knife for hunting. I also have a Boone & Crockett Club limited edition 110 that I purchased simply because I liked it. The B&C 110 I've never used.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters • Traditional Bowhunters of Montana • Montana Bowhunters Association

Offline stagetek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2021, 03:45:10 PM »
A great knife. But, too big for me to carry everyday. For that, I use the Buck 55.

Online Tim Reese

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Cut it out
« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2021, 04:49:44 PM »

Tim Reese: I find the LT version of the 110 to be quite handy. I like that they are lightweight and come with pocket clips. I have a couple of the RMEF edition of these knives that I received for being a volunteer with our local banquet committee.

Glad ya like them too. !!my lt drop point came with a pouch and no clip. But I preferred that for hunting anyways. My edc’s I like clips but not hunting. Always worry they will get lost or something. Never has happened but it’s my ADD lol

I love Buck 110's. I have a custom 110 I had made to my specifications several years ago. That's my go-to knife for hunting. I also have a Boone & Crockett Club limited edition 110 that I purchased simply because I liked it. The B&C 110 I've never used.
66” Northern Mist Superior
68” Howard Hill cheetah

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2021, 05:08:07 AM »
My everyday work knife for many years was a Buck 112 -- the buck ranger. It is a slightly smaller version of the 110. It was on my belt in the middle of my back from first thing in the morning until the end of the day, every day. I still have it and it is still a great knife. It is hard to beat a Buck folding knife for value and quality.
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©