3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Broadheads for lighter bows  (Read 4170 times)

Offline MGH

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Broadheads for lighter bows
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2021, 11:33:28 AM »
Ace

Online 1/4 away

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2021, 11:55:47 AM »
My bows are between 45-48# at my draw and I’m shooting STOS and Simmons Swamp Sharks without any issues.
Do not follow where the path may lead.  Go, instead, where there is no path and leave a trail.

Offline Badlands

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2021, 04:57:33 PM »
I like exit wounds.
In my experience, an exit wound is the single most important factor in locating a shot animal.  I like all kinds or broadheads but I'll take penetration over more blades.  With heavier bows it isn't as big of a deal, but as I get older and the poundage I shoot decreases, penetration has become more and more important. A nice 2 blade, cut on contact broadhead with a 3 to 1 length to width ratio, seem to work the best for me.

Offline beendare

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2021, 02:24:23 PM »
Fwiw,
I shoot light #s too, 47#,553g TAW with 2 blades and have had almost all passthrus on a dozen animals in the last couple of years including a cow moose in Co a month ago.

Those 2 blades go though everything like a hot knife through butter.

You don't drown by falling in the water; you drown by staying there.”
― Edwin Louis Cole

Offline Part Time Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2021, 09:52:47 PM »
Stone is really light, or steel trade points , or maybe bone.  :dunno:
Pray like Tuck and shoot like Robin.

Offline SS Snuffer

• Trad Bowhunter
  • At home in White Oaks and swamps
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2021, 09:50:33 AM »
I shot mine this year with a Grizzly single bevel. Next year I'm going to shoot the same broadhead with a double bevel cause I can get them sharper and I don't think I'll be shooting thru many bones with a 40lb. bow.
Chuck
Kodiak Mag 52" 41 lb.
Kota Kill-Um 60" 42 lb.
Kanati 58" 38 lb.
Black Hunter Longbow 60" 40 lb.

No Guts - No Story

Offline Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2021, 09:54:47 AM »
I like to put as big a hole as possible in game and i normally shoot my 45lb Palmer bow. For deer I've been using the Palmer extreme cut 4 blade broadhead without issues but for hogs i go with the simmons and boy do they leave a great blood trail even on hogs. I've used the swamp shark and the land shark with great results. Never know when a big boar will show up so that two blade will go through that shield a lot easier than a big four blade. Sharpening the sharks was what initially kept me away from them but a friend showed me how to use the Rada sharpener and it gets them razor sharp in no time. i also bought the simmons sharpening system and that is super easy to use also. I highly recommend them the simmons and they are tough as nails too.
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2021, 11:37:51 AM »
What are you going to shoot with said bhead?

If deer and smaller 3 blade all day... can't pass through a deer with a 3 blade?, learn to tune your bow or  get some gun powder.  :campfire:
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Jim Jackson

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2021, 11:45:04 AM »
My experience is, being on countless, I said countless group hunts, 2 blade broadheads suck.  Far less blood trails and far less recoveries, again by far, are you listening people?  2 blades are make-believe heads on deer.
Blaze out your own trail.

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2021, 12:59:14 PM »
I’ve used 2 blades forever. Mostly Magnus I and Zwickey Delta. I’m down to 49# and prefer Zwickey No Mercy heads now. As far as blood trails go, each hit can give different results. Here is the last doe I shot last week
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Offline Jim Jackson

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2021, 08:04:41 PM »
, each head and each hit can be different that's why I said what I said. Over 400 shots recorded, not just one that happened in my backyard.
Blaze out your own trail.

Offline styksnstryngs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2021, 09:27:52 PM »
Every single picture of a Simmons entry/exit says differently, but whatever. What would you guys say for am elk, then? Still 3-blades?

Offline JamesD

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2021, 08:47:50 AM »
Jim, I think many will strongly disagree with your statements concerning 2 blade broadheads. Myself included. During my 35 seasons hunting whitetails, I have used or hunted with others who have shot just about every blade combination and style of broadheads possible. A razor sharp broadhead in the right place, with good penetration kills quickly regardless of blade count or width of broadhead. All of the animals that I have witnessed being lost over the years were poor hits, usually accompanied by taking to track the animal too soon for said hit. I haven't seen any noticeable difference in shorter recoveries or better blood trails with three or four bladed broadheads versus two bladed. They have all worked for me and others in the past. I have noticed better penetration with two bladed broadheads when something I did not intend to hit such as a humerus bone or scapula has been encountered.
Regular PBS Member

Offline Noah70

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2021, 11:37:50 PM »
This thread could probably end up with as many replies and opinions as there are members, but its always interesting to hear them all.  I’ve never been enamoured by heavy draw weights and have taken many animals from whitetail to moose through the years with bows ranging between 52# down to the 46# I’m currently shooting. I’ve used Bear Razorheads with bleeders for most of my life, but switched to Wasp Sharpshooter Traditional 150g a couple years ago.  They are slightly smaller, only 1” main blades plus bleeders, but the ferrule is much stronger, the steel is far better, no tip bending, and they are stupid sharp right out of the box. And the weight matches closely to the old razorheads, they fly like a field point, and most importantly, they look awesome!   
Any man who lives within his means clearly lacks imagination

Online mgf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2021, 05:40:35 AM »
I like the way a two blade sharpens and the the ease with which is goes in and out of my "collapsed" back quiver. I don't shoot anywhere near as many animals as many of you but the two blade has performed well on those I have shot.

The last one (and it's been a while) may not be a reliable indicator of blade effectiveness but it's a fun story anyway. The shot was at about 15 yards (I counted 16 paces to where I found my arrow). The arrow passed through and stuck in the ground. The buck wobbled briefly toward my stand and he lay down right at the bottom of my ladder. I pretty much had to step over him to get out of my stand. LOL what ever button you push to let out all the blood at once is what I hit.

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2021, 10:39:58 PM »
Magnus Stingers with the bleeder blades.  I have killed a bunch out of my 43# with them.
T ZZZZ

Offline Jock Whisky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2021, 10:49:26 PM »
OP here. I'm not disputing the penetration of different heads. I'm happy with what I get. What I need more than anything is a first class blood trail if it's possible. The ferns in the opening pic are waist to chest high and the underbrush can be jungle thick sometimes.
Old doesn't start until you hit three figures...and then it's negotiable

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2021, 09:31:53 AM »
Well hate to say it but if you want to get a good blood trail you need to hit heart or lungs and try to get two holes.  Broadhead for the most part is secondary long as it is sharp. 
T ZZZZ

Offline Jock Whisky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2021, 04:40:28 PM »
Don't hate to say it Tracker. That's the kind of info I'm looking for.
Old doesn't start until you hit three figures...and then it's negotiable

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: December 06, 2021, 07:34:12 PM »
My limited experience has been primarily with 2 blades, so please explain something to me. Why is a 2 blade so inferior? If it is sharp, well tuned, and well placed, it seems to me that blood loss should be prolific and is just as likely to make a good exit wound the same as a 3 or 4 blade point. I only hunt our Georgia whitetails, so super bone crushing is not likely to be needed. I still have confidence in my Razorheads.
Sam

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©