3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bob Lee grip and more  (Read 1746 times)

Offline J from Denmark

• Trad Bowhunter
Bob Lee grip and more
« on: November 04, 2021, 04:16:15 AM »
Hi guys and girls
I am new to Bob Lee bows and exited to order one. I have never tried or seen the grip on a Bob Lee bow though…
Can anybody post a couple of pics of the grip seen from the shooter side😊🙏🏻
I would also like to see the “snyder grip” if anybody has one of thoese…

I have shot widows for almost 20 years and like the widow standard grip… how is the Bob Lee standard grip compared to a widow? Is it thicker/fatter og slimmer?

I am looking to buy the shikari or Ultimate with Cobra limbs. Any thoughts or pics or whatever would be cool also 😊

Thanks 😊🙏🏻

Jacob

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bob Lee grip and more
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2021, 10:04:05 AM »
The Bob Lee grip is my favorite of all the bows I have shot.  I have a Legacy and an Ultimate, and over time I noticed that the Ultimate has a larger circumference grip (5 3/8”) than the Legacy (4 15/16”).  I don't know if this was planned, or just a manufacturing variance, but I prefer the smaller circumference grip on the Legacy.  So when I ordered the Shikari, I asked them to match the grip on my Legacy, and they came pretty close (4 7/8”)!  Interestingly, when I started shooting the Shikari, I could tell that it had a slightly smaller circumference grip than the Legacy, even before I measured it, but it is close enough that I’m not sure yet which I prefer.

The Black Widow standard grip is narrower (side to side) than the Bob Lee Standard grip.  My ASA measures 1.12” at the narrowest point, whereas my Legacy measures 1.18” at the narrowest point.  The Bob Lee has a characteristic tilt to the grip, which you will see in the photo of the belly side of the Legacy below, which I haven't noticed on any other bow I’ve shot. I prefer the Bob Lee grip to the Black Widow standard grip, but there are other characteristics of Black Widow bows that I prefer over Bob Lee bows.  Both are very fine bows, which I am very pleased to own and will probably never put on the market for sale.

This is the Bob Lee Legacy:

This is the Bob Lee Ultimate:

This is the Shikari

This is a view of the Legacy from the belly side:

This is a view of the BW ASA from the belly side:

« Last Edit: November 04, 2021, 10:22:05 AM by McDave »
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Online Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2021, 04:20:24 PM »
The Bob Lee grips are nice.I think thier user friendly overall.But grips are a personel thing.

I loved the grips on my Red Wing hunters.

Offline J from Denmark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2021, 04:29:55 PM »
Thank you McDave, thoese are fine pics.
Wonder if the difference in the shikari grip i on purpose or a matter of every bow being different when made by hand?

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2021, 06:28:55 PM »
I believe all the final work of shaping the grip is done by hand, so there will be minor variations from bow to bow.  However, if you know what you want, they are fully capable of shaping the grip to your specs within close tolerances, so long as your specs don't deviate too much from their basic design.  My problem is that I really didn't know what I wanted until I shot the Legacy and the Ultimate side by side long enough to figure it out.  On the other hand, if you like the basic Bob Lee grip and only have one Bob Lee bow, I’m sure you'll adjust to whatever minor variations there may be just fine.  Sometimes a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Tim Reese

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Cut it out
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2021, 08:44:11 PM »
I shot widows for a long time and had one Lee which I loved but never could fall In love with the grip as it was a lot fatter than my hand liked. I tried as I said it was a great bow in fit and finish but just wasn’t my jam. The widow standard grip just fit me better. Like others said grip is such a personal choice.
66” Northern Mist Superior
68” Howard Hill cheetah

Offline J from Denmark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2021, 02:28:39 AM »
ok, thanks for the help guys
I will give Bob Lee a call to day and pick a bow.

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2021, 08:14:48 AM »
The Bob Lee medium grip is my personal favorite with a 4 1/2" circumference being my preference. Both of my Ultimate's with the Carbon Cobra Curves have the 4 1/2" circumference.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2021, 02:47:47 PM »
the Bob Lee grip is my favourite too.

I made a mold of mine so it can be sent to any future bowyer to copy.

Here's an old thread of mine-
https://www.tradgang.com/tgsmf/index.php?topic=81784.0
Thick fog slowly lifts
Jagged peaks and hairy beast
Food for soul and body.

Border black douglas recurve 70# and 58# HEX6 BB2 limbs

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©