3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bowhunting late rifle for elk  (Read 776 times)

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
Bowhunting late rifle for elk
« on: November 05, 2021, 11:04:26 AM »
I always hunt with a cow elk tag late rifle season. The first two years I did this I hunted with my bow. Both years we got 18 inches of snow over 5 days and temps in the teens and 20's.

I did not tag out either year, but would have with my rifle. Distances were just beyond my ethical range with my bow, the elk at about 45-55 yards. That might tempt some long ballers but under the conditions and my own knowledge of how reality works, I was no way going to lob an arrow 45 yards in the wind, snow, moving targets and cold hands.

Anyway, I was fortunate enough to take a nice bull this archery, so thought maybe this year going back to a bow would be worth a try. I would love to take a cow elk in rifle season.

It is important for my family to have a couple elk under ice, so its not like tag soup isn't still a concern. But I wonder, I maybe should appreciate what we have and take the challenge.

I should mention when I rifle hunt its in timber using aperture sights. I enjoy that too.

What do you all think. I am on the fence.

This is where I hunt and typical conditions.

Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bowhunting late rifle for elk
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2021, 11:12:42 AM »
You need to do what ever you think is going to satisfy your inner soul !! Gun or bow do it with the proper mind set and you will be good !! I do envy you to have such problems…..   :goldtooth:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Online BAK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2021, 01:09:15 PM »
I would maybe take a nice old fashioned cap and ball muzzle-loader.  Best of everything.   :thumbsup:
"May your blood trails be short and your drags all down hill."

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2021, 01:47:41 PM »
I have tried it a few times. It can be tough but it can be fun. Here is a story I posted on here years back.
https://www.tradgang.com/tgsmf/index.php?topic=87380.msg1621563#msg1621563

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2021, 09:31:50 PM »
My choice has been to hunt solely with the bow for the last 29 (I think) years but feel that there is nothing wrong at all with hunting with the boom stick. Hunt legally and ethically and you are good to go with either hunting tool. Meat in the freezer is definitely a good thing.
Sam

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2021, 09:58:23 PM »
My choice has been to hunt solely with the bow for the last 29 (I think) years but feel that there is nothing wrong at all with hunting with the boom stick. Hunt legally and ethically and you are good to go with either hunting tool. Meat in the freezer is definitely a good thing.

2X, 28 years for me.
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Bisch

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2021, 10:40:16 PM »
We don’t have elk here, but we do have a long rifle season for deer. As a matter of fact, tomorrow is “opening day” of rifle season here. To me, opening day of rifle season is just another Saturday in the middle of bow season!!!

Good luck filling your elk tag!

Bisch

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©