3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Black Widow PTF  (Read 1815 times)

Offline Scamper

• Trad Bowhunter
Black Widow PTF
« on: November 08, 2021, 10:18:47 PM »
Hi

I've ordered a BW PTF Ironwood expected delivery in January 2022.  This is my first Black Widow so I'm excited.

Would be interested in learning of set ups of others with this bow

Thanks

Offline Tedd

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Black Widow PTF
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2021, 07:40:33 PM »
Specs?

Online Mike Bolin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2021, 08:37:57 PM »
The PTF is my favorite Widow recurve and I have owned a MB, SAII, PCHX, MAIII and PSAII. My PTFIII is 60" and 46#@28" with the low wrist grip. I like the light mass weight as my bow shoulder has seen better days. I shoot it with a Great Northern strap on quiver. Easton 6.5 carbons cut to 29" to the back of point with 250 field points (VPA 3 blade broadheads) fletched with 3-4" parabolic right wing feathers is the set up that the bow seems to prefer. You'll be very pleased with your PTF. Congratulations on your purchase!
Centaur longbow 62", 43#@28"
River Raisin Siren, 60", 41#@28"
Osage Selfbow 62", 47#@28
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline Scamper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2021, 08:48:14 PM »
Thanks

I'm getting 55lbs 28" 60".  I've handled the PTF Ironwood at Comptons.  It's a little heavier so I'm going to use it with a Selway Side Quiver

Offline Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2021, 09:50:17 PM »
I had a few PTFs.58,60 and 62 inchers.I had both low and standard grips

I braced mine at like 8 and 3/4er.I shot heavier arrows mostly.I did swap out the stock strings for SBD Silent But Deadly Bowstrings with 8 strands and wool puffs.I liked those alot on the Widows.

I used Eagle Flight strap on quivers on them mostly.The bow has good mass weight.So I went with lighter quiver.

I saw you were going with a side mount.So I assume you have the side bushings on your bow.I have been using Thunderhorns side mount quivers on some bows lately.In the Small Fry size.Thier nice and gorgous.Might consider them.They will put the black Widow logo in the center of the hood.which is a black Widow spider.You can see them on thier website

I do use Selways alot and have only had the slide and prefer the mini size.Holds 4 arrows and has the smaller size hood.Thier rock solid.I use them on 1 piece bows.I have not used thier side mount quivers.I like thier products and customer service.

Hope you love your PTF!!!

Offline Tedd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2021, 07:31:25 PM »
Since you are asking...Change the string to BCYX w two woolie whispers on ea end. 1 set to hit the curves the other to silence the string. 8 1/2" brace seems to work perfect for me. Test several arrows and spines. Its got a lot of center shot so stiff shafts are commonly required. You will probably need a .340 depending on brand of shaft and head weight. Buy plenty and test a bunch. Use hot melt glue to change points. You will figure it out in an hour or so if you have enough shafts and points. Once the string settles and arrow is decided just let it strung and ready w a quiver full. Easy to pick up and shoot, no arm guard needed and it will be so quiet with the string set up the it is a shock free joy to shoot. Mine is 60lb@30". I'd like a 50-55 lb draw weight.
Note - after a week or so of shooting any bow your grip and draw might change a little, so re -check your arrow tune.
Tedd

Offline Tedd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2021, 07:36:22 PM »
They kill deer pretty well.

Offline Tedd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2021, 07:37:26 PM »

Offline Dr.Squall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2021, 02:08:39 PM »
That is going to be my next bow.  I haven't bought a bow in years, kinda got on an air rifle kick.  I am wanting a shorter bow for hunting out of blind.  Most of my bows are 62 inches.  I wonder how short I can go with a 29" draw and shooting 3 under.  Great choice.  I love my older BWs.

Thanks
Jon

Online Tim Reese

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Cut it out
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2021, 11:39:04 AM »
That’s one bow I wish I had kept. I only have longbows now but wish I’d kept my PTF!!!! Great hunting bow.
66” Northern Mist Superior
68” Howard Hill cheetah

Online Mike Bolin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2021, 12:57:20 PM »
Dr.Squall-According to the Widow site, for a 29" draw length they recommend either a 58" or 60" bow.
Centaur longbow 62", 43#@28"
River Raisin Siren, 60", 41#@28"
Osage Selfbow 62", 47#@28
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline Dr.Squall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2021, 01:06:43 PM »
Thanks for the info.  I wonder if there would be much finger pinch with the 58?  I might have to call BW.

Thanks
Jon

Online Tim Reese

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Cut it out
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2021, 01:33:10 PM »
If you call see if they one in the test drive program available to test out too.
66” Northern Mist Superior
68” Howard Hill cheetah

Users currently browsing this topic:

Kdog and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©