3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: thats not were I put my decoys...ARGH!  (Read 298 times)

Offline hickstick

• Trad Bowhunter
thats not were I put my decoys...ARGH!
« on: May 02, 2008, 09:37:00 AM »
of course....the first morning I can get out its raining. I never even checked the weather, since the wednesday forecast called for partly cloudy today. Showered, dressed, open the garage door....darn! grab the rain gear and headed out.

after about two hours of calling with no response from my natural blind, everything soaking wet, I look at the watch. 7:30...think I'll go check on the trail cam then head to work. climb out of the blind, and decide to leave all the stuff there (except my bow) at the edge of the field and drive up to load all the wet gear into the back of the truck...so I head out to check the cam, walk back to the truck, start driving to the field....

hmmm...what are those dark shapes about 30 yards from the blind....they kinda look like turkeys. weird, thats not were I but the decoys. [explative]....THOSE ARE TURKEYS. hit the brakes...reverse about 15 yards to get out of sight. jump out grab my recurve, throw on my glove and stalk up using the crest of a hill and a pine tree as cover. get to about 30 yards and see them standing BETWEEN my dekes. unfortunately they are just hens. but it certainly got the blood going.  waited til they walked out of sight, then went and retrieved my wet stuff....

this was my first turkey hunt in quite a few years and at least I saw some birds.      :D
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: thats not were I put my decoys...ARGH!
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2008, 10:34:00 AM »
Im snake bit on turkeys as well. I sat 27 hrs in 3 days because my uncle told me they were coming into the field.. At the end of the 3 days, tired exhausted,nnd a little ticked.. I left not to have my uncle call 30 min later saying there were 21 in his field! HE HAD SENT THE PICS VIA E-MAIL TO PROVE IT. Been trying for 3 years out there and the closest Ive come is 1 that was 40 or so yards away!!    :knothead:      :banghead:      :banghead:
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline hickstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2008, 11:03:00 AM »
we can only hunt til noon here in MA...  and only bearded birds (including bearded hens) are legal.  my turkey hunting is generally limited to a couple hours before work anyway...I try to save my days for whitetail season...

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2008, 11:07:00 AM »
I was going to try to get a couple of hours in today myself but the grandparents just picked my boy up so today is out. Will be out tomorrow though. Only can go until noon here for bearded birds also. So turkeys in the morning and a little fishing in the afternoon.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Iowa Stickbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2008, 12:19:00 PM »
Been trying to get a bird with the recurve for the last couple weeks,been seeing plenty but not in position for a shot...changed up on them this morning,had a gun tag 21lbs 5oz 11 inch beard...filled it at 8:15 now back with the bow this afternoon.

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2008, 01:29:00 PM »
I have seen birds on almost every hunt, but they are henned up and won't get close enough for a shot. I may resort to the death ray if they keep harassing me.  :banghead:  
We have a lot of turkeys, it just appears that they would rather die by the gun than the bow this year.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline MWhitehair

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2008, 02:24:00 PM »
Murphy and his law...
Congrats on a great hunt!
Matt Whitehair
"'Traditional Archer' is not a term to be taken lightly. It demands respect for ethics, high standards, and an overall, instinctive love for the sport."
-Jim Chinn

Offline hickstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2008, 02:52:00 PM »
Not being much of a turkey hunter, this was actually the first time I've been out with a bow and saw turkeys.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©