3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Budget takedown recurves  (Read 2500 times)

Offline Brandi

• Trad Bowhunter
Budget takedown recurves
« on: November 22, 2021, 04:14:48 PM »
I'm currently shooting a Martin Saber TD with 45# limbs.  It's a bit too much draw weight for me right now so my practice sessions rarely last more than 70 or 80 arrows before I give out.  I have a lot of back issues already so I'm usually in a fair bit of pain before I even start and it's much worse afterwards.  I tried my sister's bow, which is the exact same bow with 40# limbs and it's MUCH easier on me.  Unfortunately, the limbs for the Martin Saber TD are proprietary and they want more for a new set of limbs than my whole bow cost.  I don't have a budget for that, or a new bow bow for that matter, but I want to start looking for its replacement so when I can maybe afford one I'll be ready.

There's no shortage of "budget" bows out there but the list pretty much seems to collapse when you eliminate all the Chinese stuff.  I won't buy Chinese, not a chance.  I would prefer a metal riser takedown but wood is a possibility. 

Do you guys and gals know of such a bow? As in $150 or preferably lower, takedown not made in China or other anti-American nations?  It may not exist but I figured if it did, the people here would know about it.

Offline JohnV

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Budget takedown recurves
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2021, 04:47:48 PM »
Consider a quality used bow.
Proud Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Brandi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2021, 05:05:50 PM »
I should have mentioned that I have no problems getting a used bow.  I've never been the type who has to have brand new stuff.  Have never even owned a new car.  From my experience thus far though, used takedown bows are extremely hard to find.  People tend to hang onto them, which I can fully understand. 

Offline PrimitivePete

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2021, 05:53:33 PM »
If you are really on a budget I would recommend hunting down a vintage bow, you might be surprised on how much a better bow you'll get over a cheap new one. As far as getting a quality modern takedown at 150? Not so sure you will find anything that you would be happy with. All of my bows I own are used bows and I have been lucky to find amazing deals, it takes homework and patience to find the right deal.

Offline Amberjack

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2021, 07:58:36 PM »
There are almost always Bear 76er takedowns for sale on the Bay.
These are from the 70s (hence the name) and are solid no nonsense performers.

Good luck!

AJ
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
"Now then, take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me" Gen 27:3
>>>---TGMM Family of the Bow--->>>

Offline Rob5589

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2021, 08:02:27 PM »
150 or lower and not made in China is going to be tough, based on my own research. Even something used in good condition will likely be more than 150. The other option is to just take your sister's bow :biglaugh:

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2021, 08:31:29 PM »
If I were you, I’d forget about a take down for the time being.  Get what you can afford. When I started shooting bows in the 1960s, no one I knew owned a take down bow. And deer were successfully taken.  Lots of vintage bows out there.  A friend of mine just took a nice eight point buck with a bow that I think he paid $50 for.

When I returned to traditional archery I found an American Archery Cheetah for $75.  It’s a great bow, and there are others out there.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2021, 08:35:32 PM »
Samick bows are made in South Korea, an ally of ours.  They used to own the entry level bow business, particularly with their Samick Sage model.  Then it all seemed to disappear overnight, to be replaced by similar inexpensive bows made in China.  I just checked the internet, and it seems to still be possible to buy a Samick Sage here in the US for less than $150.  I don't know anything about the companies that are selling them; maybe they picked up some leftover inventory when Samick stopped making these bows.  But they are a tried and true bow, and seem to meet your specifications.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Brandi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2021, 09:00:34 PM »
Samick has most if not all of their bows made in China these days.  That's what I meant about being difficult to find budget bows not made in China.  Most companies just get their stuff shipped in from China, slap their name on it and off they go. 

I'd be fine with a South Korean made bow but Samick and Korean Archery Products both rebrand Chinese made bows and sell them as Korean.  That won't work for me. 

I'll just keep looking.  Maybe come across one at pawn shop or something.

Online ed lash

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2021, 10:21:05 PM »
I would call Lancaster Archery and tell them what you’re looking for, and what you don’t want too. I’ve found them to be very helpful, and a bunch of their products are surprisingly affordable, yet the quality I’ve gotten has been good.

Offline Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2021, 01:25:14 AM »
I have seen the Black Hunter 3 piece recurve get alot of excellant reviews recently by some experienced archers looking for a limited budget bow.You can also get longbow limbs for it as well.Its got a kinda trim shapely riser and has a nice grip IMO.Grey riser and black glass limbs.

Low price does not mean low performance if you find the right bow.

Offline Brandi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2021, 03:07:48 PM »
I would call Lancaster Archery and tell them what you’re looking for, and what you don’t want too. I’ve found them to be very helpful, and a bunch of their products are surprisingly affordable, yet the quality I’ve gotten has been good.

I'll do that, I've bought from them a fair bit but it was years ago.

Offline Brandi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2021, 03:09:18 PM »
I have seen the Black Hunter 3 piece recurve get alot of excellant reviews recently by some experienced archers looking for a limited budget bow.You can also get longbow limbs for it as well.Its got a kinda trim shapely riser and has a nice grip IMO.Grey riser and black glass limbs.

Thanks, I'll look at that one.

Offline Todd Cook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2021, 04:00:52 PM »
From my research,the sammick discovery is still made in Korea. You can't get one for $150, but for what they are they're about as cheap as you'll find. I own two of them and they are excellent bows.

Offline Brandi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2021, 05:49:00 PM »
From my research,the sammick discovery is still made in Korea. You can't get one for $150, but for what they are they're about as cheap as you'll find. I own two of them and they are excellent bows.

I'll look at that one, thanks. 

Offline Brandi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2021, 05:52:05 PM »

Thanks, I'll look at that one.

This one turned out to be a Chinese bow.  Seems like a good bow for the money and looks but I don't believe in supporting our nation's enemy.  I appreciate the heads up on it though.

Offline GCook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2021, 06:00:48 PM »
I prefer made in USA myself.  Even for socks and underwear which isn't always simple.   
Regardless the day of everything you want being made here are gone forever.   Or at least for any foreseeable future. 

Chinese kids deserve a hot meal once in a while and my experience has shown that the people in those type of countries don't reflect the political leadership and just want to raise their families like we do. 
I can afford to shoot most any bow I like.  And I like Primal Tech bows.

Offline South MS Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2021, 06:04:36 PM »
Brandi,

Here a link I goggled that has a list of American made bows. Not all are traditional but it has a few to look at.

https://usamadeproducts.biz/outdoor-recreation-hunting-gear-hunting-bows.html
Everything I have and have become is due to the Lord and his great mercy.

Offline styksnstryngs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2021, 06:10:05 PM »
I prefer made in USA myself.  Even for socks and underwear which isn't always simple.   
Regardless the day of everything you want being made here are gone forever.   Or at least for any foreseeable future. 

Chinese kids deserve a hot meal once in a while and my experience has shown that the people in those type of countries don't reflect the political leadership and just want to raise their families like we do.

I don't even look at political ideology anymore. Just at the person. And the people making money from factories in China and in America are all the same. I bet most of us would have more in common with the factory workers in China than with the people who decide to give good Americans factory jobs in bad conditions and low pay. Sad to see, sad to hear.

Offline Brandi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2021, 06:18:20 PM »

I agree, I have nothing against the people of China but by supporting Chinese companies you support the economy of a nation that hates everything we stand for and works toward our demise.  Unfortunately that means the good people of China who aren't involved with the communist agenda get caught in the middle. It's sad but it's part of the world we live in. 

With the proliferation of Chinese made goods in America it's almost impossible to avoid buying Chinese products but when possible I will always buy from countries that don't actively plot for the destruction of America.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©