3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Budget takedown recurves  (Read 2499 times)

Offline Brandi

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Budget takedown recurves
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2021, 02:05:30 PM »
Brandi,

Here a link I goggled that has a list of American made bows. Not all are traditional but it has a few to look at.

https://usamadeproducts.biz/outdoor-recreation-hunting-gear-hunting-bows.html
Much thanks.

Offline GCook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2021, 04:27:15 PM »
Just look how our political leaders try to manipulate what happens in other countries.  China included.  We are just as guilty.   We want our own sovereignty but don't respect that of other nations. 
While I'm a look here first person, my bowyer is a Texan, I don't see things quite the way you do. 
Good luck in the search.
I can afford to shoot most any bow I like.  And I like Primal Tech bows.

Online Captain*Kirk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2021, 08:34:14 PM »
You might try the auction sites or local pawn shops for an older (Grayling MI) Bear recurve. All of mine shoot as well as the day they were made and not everyone has them overpriced. I bought my favorite Kodiak Magnum for under 150 dollars.
Aim small,miss small

Offline MCNSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2021, 10:07:02 PM »
You could possibly pick up a used Black Hunter or Samik or others , Sure it’s made in China, but buying used , you’d not be actually sending money to China.
Just my .02
"What was big was not the trout, but the chance. What was full was not my creel, but my memory"
 Aldo Leopold

"It hasn't worked right since I fixed it" My friend Ken talking about his lawn mower

Online Bowguy67

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2021, 01:36:02 AM »
Thank God some think as the op does. I should mention most of the Chinese bows especially if bought off Amazon which is a FUFILLMENT company skirt the Pittman Robertson fees. It’s important these are paid. Just one more reason to avoid them.
I’d bet at your price range or slightly higher you could find and old bow in fine shape. May not be necessarily be a takedown though. Heck I bet there prob some old man has one sitting in the back closet he’d give you. Inquire around. Post some classified adds, etc
I should add used bows have already depreciated. Even if you get one piece bow and you need to upgrade you’ll prob get what you pay. Light bows always sell easier than heavy ones. There’s more market for em.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2021, 01:41:24 AM by Bowguy67 »
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 57lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 52lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 53lbs
62” Robertson Fatal Styx 47lbs
64” Toelke Whip 52lbs
58” Black Widow PSA 64lbs
62” Black Widow PSA 54lbs
60” Bighorn Grand Slam 60lbs
60” Bear Kodiak Hunter 50lbs painted black. My uncles bow. He may be gone but his spirit isn’t. Bow will hunt again
52” Bear Kodiak Magnum 50lbs

Offline Brandi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2021, 02:07:24 AM »
Thank God some think as the op does. I should mention most of the Chinese bows especially if bought off Amazon which is a FUFILLMENT company skirt the Pittman Robertson fees. It’s important these are paid. Just one more reason to avoid them.
I’d bet at your price range or slightly higher you could find and old bow in fine shape. May not be necessarily be a takedown though. Heck I bet there prob some old man has one sitting in the back closet he’d give you. Inquire around. Post some classified adds, etc
I should add used bows have already depreciated. Even if you get one piece bow and you need to upgrade you’ll prob get what you pay. Light bows always sell easier than heavy ones. There’s more market for em.

If I come across a good deal on a one piece 40# I'll definitely go that route.  I want the slightly lower weight bow strictly for target/fun shooting.

I've improved far more than I expected lately shooting my 45# thanks to the advice I've gotten from the folks here and one helpful tidbit I gleaned from watching a Clay Hayes video.  He recommended some different anchor points and their advantages/disadvantages.  I raised my anchor point to a higher spot and everything immediately improved.  My groups are much better and my consistency has improved by a lot. 

It's much easier learning from experienced shooters than the trial and error method you have to use without them!

Online mgf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2021, 05:27:08 AM »
I'll add another note of caution regarding cheap Chinese bows. I bought a couple back when I first decided to drop down in weight...one for my wife and one for me. I bought from a local shop who had them on the rack.

Three sets of limbs busted on my bow before I put on the fire wood stack. I switched to my wife's bow and busted a limb after a single day of shooting.

The last time I mentioned the make and models on another board I got in trouble so I won't include that info.

Offline Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2021, 04:52:27 PM »
My opinion is that I am rarely satisfied with my decisions to buy "budget" items.  If I were in your situation...

I would borrow a bow (my sister's?) for a while.

I would sacrifice something else in my budget (coffee, lunch menu $, online subscriptions, etc.) for a while...

And I would squirrel money away until I could buy something worth buying, new or used.  $5/week for a year is $250.  If I save $10 a week from now until the end of May, I'll have around $200-250. 

Once a guy sinks money into a bow, those are funds that -- if he is wise in his bow purchases -- he should be able to get out of the bow when he sells it.  That way a $1,000+  bow can eventually become a reality.  Buy bows with good potential for resale, and you'll be more pleased each time you upgrade.
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Offline Brandi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2021, 05:12:30 PM »
I totally agree, that's how I used to buy things.  Now, at this point in my life, I'm unable to work anymore due to back issues and I have no income.  My entire retirement I built up is gone paying medical bills and other necessities.  There's no income to save up unfortunately.  I'm fortunate that my sister pretty much pays for everything I need these days but I wouldn't ask her for "luxury" items even if she could afford it, which she can't.  No need to go into all the depressing details of it all but that's pretty much where it stands so "budget" is pretty much a necessary part of life. 

Maybe I'll get some new limbs for Christmas and problem solved.  Never know. 

Offline JohnV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2021, 07:00:10 PM »
Consider a quality used bow.  Maybe sell your current bow to finance the purchase.
Proud Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©