3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Another newb question...when to stop.  (Read 3131 times)

Offline Brandi

• Trad Bowhunter
Another newb question...when to stop.
« on: November 25, 2021, 05:04:37 PM »
I shoot a 45# recurve, I know it's too much weight for me right now but it's what I have until I can source some 40# limbs. 

Shooting the 45# I usually do pretty well for the first 24-36 arrows and sometimes as many as 48 arrows . After that my accuracy goes to pot because I'm struggling to control the bow.  I've been shooting only a couple months, 3-5 days a week depending on weather and my back issues. 

My question is -  Should I keep shooting arrows after I'm past the point of shooting well to help me build up my strength?  Or, is continuing to shoot past that point risking injury and creating bad technique/form? 

So far, shooting past that point so far has helped me get stronger and shoot better for longer but it's also resulted in injury that left me unable to shoot at all for 3 weeks too so pros and cons.   

What do you guys think?

Offline JonCagle

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Another newb question...when to stop.
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2021, 05:08:21 PM »
When I’m a little fatigued for whatever reason but I still want to shoot, I will go out and stump shoot. That’s shooting rotten stumps, old cans or pine cones as I rove through the woods. It is better hunting practice (if that’s your goal)  and the shots are more spaced out so I’m not just going back and forth pouring arrows and wearing myself out

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2021, 07:05:27 PM »
You're building up your muscle with the number of arrows you shoot comfortably now.  I wouldn't keep shooting when your accuracy starts to decrease.  You'll just develop bad habits that will be more difficult to break even after you have a lighter weight bow. Another regimen you might try is to shoot fewer arrows more often, say 25 arrows twice a day on those days you shoot.   

Offline Dave Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2021, 07:41:08 PM »
How do you know 45 lbs is to much ? If you can shoot that many arrows well I’d shoot until you feel things going south then quit. Give it a day and do it again similar to building up any muscles and muscle memory but don’t go past that point to avoid picking up bad form.  Some shooting styles don’t require a long hold while others do. Both and everything in between can be deadly accurate
Compton traditional bowhunters
PBS regular
Traditional bowhunters of Arkansas
I live to bowhunt!!!
60” Widow SAV recurve 54@28
60” Widow KBX recurve 53@27
64” DGA longbow 48@27

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2021, 08:34:29 PM »
If you are satisfied with your shooting you should be able to maintain that and even improve with just a few dozen shots a session. I found if I'm tired or frustrated I would put down the bow and come back later. It can be hard to overcome some problems if you just keep shooting. The only shot that really counts is the one you put in the deer or whatever you are hunting. If you can make that one shot each day you should be good for the hunt.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Crooked Stic

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2021, 09:09:28 PM »
Is your bow marked 45@28. Do you pull the full 28 in. If less you may be not at 45. Have the draw weight checked and how far you really draw the bow.
If you cant be comfortable then put it down and recoup. And lighter limbs will be better you will be more accurate and when you hitting well you are happier. :archer2: :archer2:
High on Archery.

Offline JakeD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2021, 09:40:04 PM »
If you still feel the need to keep shooting even after your accuracy starts to wane, maybe move close to the target and just try blank baling at that point. It would help you build muscle without sacrificing accuracy. Might also help you to focus more on your form even when you are fatigued.
Black Widow PCH V 56" 52@28

Offline Brandi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2021, 09:50:44 PM »
When I’m a little fatigued for whatever reason but I still want to shoot, I will go out and stump shoot. That’s shooting rotten stumps, old cans or pine cones as I rove through the woods. It is better hunting practice (if that’s your goal)  and the shots are more spaced out so I’m not just going back and forth pouring arrows and wearing myself out

I'll try this too.  All I have is my yard but plenty of pinecones laying around.

Offline Brandi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2021, 09:51:46 PM »
If you still feel the need to keep shooting even after your accuracy starts to wane, maybe move close to the target and just try blank baling at that point. It would help you build muscle without sacrificing accuracy. Might also help you to focus more on your form even when you are fatigued.

What is blank baling?

Offline JakeD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2021, 10:04:31 PM »

What is blank baling?

Get within point blank range of your target, as in a couple feet so you know you will hit it. Draw back and close your eyes. Don’t worry about aiming or where the arrow hits. Focus only on your form and proper mechanics.

Offline JakeD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2021, 10:06:29 PM »
For more detailed instructions, just google blank baling archery. My definition was just a nutshell version of it.

Online Bowguy67

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2021, 01:11:48 AM »
How do you know 45 lbs is to much ? If you can shoot that many arrows well I’d shoot until you feel things going south then quit. Give it a day and do it again similar to building up any muscles and muscle memory but don’t go past that point to avoid picking up bad form.  Some shooting styles don’t require a long hold while others do. Both and everything in between can be deadly accurate

I was thinking same thing. Doesn’t sound you’re overbowed unless you’re actually having probs attaining full draw. I’d never shoot once I started getting tired and here’s one most never talk about? The mental aspect. If everything else is correct the mental thing is all the difference. I’d actually never shoot as many as you’re stating. I prefer to shoot a dozen arrows, go inside. Come back out a bit later, dozen more. It’s almost dark, a dozen more. This morning it’s raining and rifle season, I hate hunting in the rain anyhow but between raindrops being I’m home I may shoot 3-4 times today. Guess it depends how convenient that is as well. If you can just open a door and shoot that’s what I’d suggest. If you need to go somewhere I’d still break it up. 3D is the only time I shoot 3 dozen or more arrows in a row if the course demands that but it’s still one arrow at each target with breaks in between. Besides just physical your brain imo should stay fresh
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 57lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 52lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 53lbs
62” Robertson Fatal Styx 47lbs
64” Toelke Whip 52lbs
58” Black Widow PSA 64lbs
62” Black Widow PSA 54lbs
60” Bighorn Grand Slam 60lbs
60” Bear Kodiak Hunter 50lbs painted black. My uncles bow. He may be gone but his spirit isn’t. Bow will hunt again
52” Bear Kodiak Magnum 50lbs

Offline Brandi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2021, 02:14:41 AM »
For some reason my long detailed response to all the great advice here isn't showing up.  I'll give the short version.  I'll start shooting fewer arrows with the 45# limbs and just continue working on my accuracy.

Once I get some lighter limbs I'll extend my shooting sessions for fun.  That's why I shoot the bow, is for fun and who doesn't want their fun to last longer?  With the heavier limbs it's less about fun and more about pain and frustration past a few dozen arrows so no point risking another injury. 

Thanks for the advice. 

Offline mj seratt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2021, 06:53:12 AM »
When you go to shoot those pine cones, you really should invest in a couple of judo points.  They are practically indestuctable, and unlosable.  They will pay for themselves many times over.  Just look at any dealer who sells traditional gear, and they will have them.  I recently had my wife order a pair (they are packed two to a card) for two of our Grand Daughters from Amazon.  They were a little more, but the free shipping was less than ordering and paying S&H.

Murray
Murray Seratt

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2021, 08:24:47 AM »
Building up in draw weight is simply shooting a few more shots at the heavier draw until your strength increases. Unfortunately, this is so easy to say, but one must take care as to how many "extra" shots to make. Go slow, and don't rush it. When tiredness starts affecting your form, stop for the day. Shooting up to 36 arrows a day shows that you are getting close. Don't do like I did, though. I went from 58# to 78# with the simple writing of a check to purchase a bow, so I can truly say, "Do like I say, not like I do", as I had numerous problems. Remember, slow and steady will get you where you want to go.
Sam

Offline bowmaster12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2021, 08:30:27 AM »
5 well executed shots are fare better than 25 flung arrows that hit there mark. Focus less on where you are hitting and more on the mechanics of the shot.  As soon as any fatigue (physical or mental)starts to set in stop. Your accuracy will come as your mechanics are honed.  Like stated before you may not be shooting 45# most bow weights are marked at 28" draw for each onch you draw shooter than 28" you lose 2-3 lbs of weight.

Offline Carpdaddy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2021, 08:46:02 AM »
 Having shoulder issues as well as many other health problems I rarely shoot many arrows at a time. Most of the time I go out and shoot what is in my practice quiver, which is 6-8, pull them, and quit. It has actually helped me shooting less arrows, it makes me focus more on each shot, knowing I don’t have many. I never push on with pain, or with accuracy suffering, I know by experience what the results of that are. During 3D shoots I switch to a lighter bow and lower spine arrows so I can shoot more. A little regular home therapy helps my ability to keep shooting. It’s better than having to quit!
Stumpshooting; Slinging sticks with sticks toward the origin of the sticks.

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2021, 10:31:42 AM »
Several people have wondered how many pounds you are actually pulling, and I think this would be valuable information for you to know, and is useful to us in answering your questions.  It is easy to find out.  Just get a marking pen, and have someone mark where the arrow crosses the back of the bow (the side away from you) when you are at full draw.  Have them do it several times.  If the marks aren't all in the same place, measure from some average location and make a note that you need more practice in drawing the bow to a consistent anchor.  Your draw length is the distance from the mark to the valley of the nock, where the string rests.  Your true draw weight will be the marked weight on the bow + or - two or three pounds for every inch your draw length is over or under 28”.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Alexander Traditional

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2021, 10:59:39 AM »
If the bow feels heavier to you it probably is. Shooting a heavier bow and working out are the only ways I've been able to go up in draw weight. I wouldn't shoot it after my shooting form stared to fail.

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2021, 06:26:38 PM »
I shoot a 45# recurve, I know it's too much weight for me right now but it's what I have until I can source some 40# limbs. 

Shooting the 45# I usually do pretty well for the first 24-36 arrows and sometimes as many as 48 arrows . After that my accuracy goes to pot because I'm struggling to control the bow.  I've been shooting only a couple months, 3-5 days a week depending on weather and my back issues. 

My question is -  Should I keep shooting arrows after I'm past the point of shooting well to help me build up my strength?  Or, is continuing to shoot past that point risking injury and creating bad technique/form? 

So far, shooting past that point so far has helped me get stronger and shoot better for longer but it's also resulted in injury that left me unable to shoot at all for 3 weeks too so pros and cons.   

What do you guys think?

If you are bowhunting, and you can get off just one arrow with consistent accuracy at whatever hunting distance you can achieve that kinda accuracy and within the realm of your hunting conditions (weather and terrain), there is no problem and yer good to go.  :thumbsup:

However, "target shooting", where a course might mean 50 or more arrows flung, is a dif'rent story entirely.

You don't need to fling arrows to build up holding weight, in fact it's best not to go that route.  You just need to set up a daily schedule of drawing your bow *past* your draw length by an inch or so and hold for a second or few seconds.  Do this in reps and don't overdo it.  Inside of a few weeks that 45lb bow will feel a good 5lbs lighter at your draw length ... promise.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©