3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Which Toelke?!  (Read 2170 times)

Offline Ruttinghard

• Trad Bowhunter
Which Toelke?!
« on: November 29, 2021, 06:01:43 PM »
Hello all, I’m newer to trad and tradgang. Been shooting a 64” Toelke Whip for about 10 months now. Love it, will never go back to compound. Actually have had a successful fall with 3 deer harvested with it using Douglas fir arrows.

I just talked to Dan today about getting another toelke. I draw about 30.5”. I know I want a classic grip (current one has standard). I’m really debating between a 60” Whistler and 66” Whip. Possibly a SS/SSLR. I mostly treestand hunt, from a lone wolf lock on. A bit of still hunting/ground. Dan is “pushing” me toward a Whistler. I see the advantage of a short bow of course. But I’m really not that good of a shot. I worry about the forgiveness/accuracy loss, as well as finger pinch. The 64” whip wasn’t too hard to manage in the stand, but it was no doubt an adjustment coming from compound. Any and all opinions and insight are more than welcome! Thank you!

Offline PrimitivePete

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Which Toelke?!
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2021, 06:22:06 PM »
Personally If you are comfortable with the Whip, I'd stick with it. In archery there is a great advantage to familiarity and it's when we decide to mix things up we oftern get in trouble. I'd go with the longer Whip just for that. It by no means the other bows don't shoot well because they all do.

Online mnbwhtr

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2021, 06:48:31 PM »
I've got a 30 1/2 " draw also and shoot a 62" whip and love it. I'd keep shooting the whip, don't fix what isn't broken.

Offline Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2021, 07:18:16 PM »
The 60 inch Whistler handles really well for a moderatly short longbow.I found it stable,forgiving and smooth.

I have had three 64 inch Whips and thought the 60 inch Whistler handled very similar to the 64 inch Whips.My draw is not as long as yours though.

Thier is a reason Dan is pushing you toward that bow.I would probably match the grip on the Whistler to your Whip to allow easy transition back and forth.

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2021, 08:21:38 PM »
You also mentioned the SS. But your tree stand may want a shorter bow. However, as far as joy, the SS is IMO the best balance of performance and beauty. ie: small mass riser, vintage curves, quiet, smooth.
Elkmaster at rest

Pass through at 30+yds

« Last Edit: November 29, 2021, 08:59:49 PM by jhg »
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Offline Ruttinghard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2021, 08:44:17 PM »
Wow that is a pretty bow and elk!

Thanks for the tips so far. I get having the consistent grip with my whip and whatever one I get, and not changing what’s working now. I am only really changing because I want the classic grip instead of the standard, and want it to be a few pounds heavier draw. Tough being a lefty, hard to find the right bow used!

Offline Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2021, 11:55:50 PM »
Jeff you must be a decent shot to harvest 3 deer after only 10 months of shooting.I am sure you will get more proficient in the coming years as well.

If you were gonna stay with the Toelkies you might ideally have a 66 inch Whip for you 30.5 inch draw combined with the Whistler and both with the Classic grip.I know its alot of $.

If your gonna pick one for the type of hunting your doing out of tree stands,still hunting and stalking as well the 60 inch Whistler might be your best all around choice for all those methods.You might also include ground blinds and ground hunting in that equation if you go that route in the future.

Whistlers are very all around nice shooting bows.You would probably do well in the 60 inch length IMO.

Sounds like you like the standard grip pretty well with your success.Have you tried the Classic grip and liked it more or do you just like that more classic look of that grip more.

The 64 incher you have might pair up pretty well with the Whistler is why I ask.You could have your shorter bow and the longer bow..Perhaps he could change your standard grip to the Classic and send both bows bsck to you if you got a custom and you would have a nice twin set?

Folks can lean one way or the other on the grips.Whatever they like best.I have had both and seem to do pretty well with either one.

Offline Ruttinghard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2021, 07:44:11 AM »
Wow steelhead, do you know how insightful you are?! Like you’ve been reading my mind, you touched on nearly everything I was pondering last night. Thinking a 66” whip and 60” Whistler combo at some time could be perfect. And I was just thinking I wonder if Dan would make my standard into a classic grip. Admittedly, I don’t know that I’ll like the classic grip better. I like the look of it better, but my other main reason for wanting it is that I feel like the thumb shelf on the standard doesn’t let me rotate my hand into the exact position I want. I understand I’m sacrificing some repeatability with the standard grip thumb shelf, but I think I’d like the freedom to get into “my” position. I could be dead wrong though and end up much preferring the standard.

And don’t let my 3 deer fool you, I’m really not as good as that sounds. I just have a wife who lets me hunt a ton, so even a blind squirrel finds a nut given enough time. Lol. I passed on some shots I wasn’t quite comfortable with, but I did also have 2 clean misses. None injured. Shot one of the deer on the second shot. That moment sold me on getting as quiet of a bow and possible, and loving how quiet my Whip is.

Offline Crash

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2021, 01:52:37 PM »
I love the classic grip and I find it very repeatable.  While it doesn't really show in pictures, there is some contour to the grip which allows you to grip it the same each time.   I would go with the Whistler, it is designed to fit like a longer bow and it is also faster than the Whip.
"Instinctive archery is all about possibilities.  Mechanist archery is all about alternatives. "  Dean Torges

Offline Todd Cook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2021, 02:31:48 PM »
My draw is 29.5 and 60" is shorter than I like. 62-64" recurves, 66" longbows are pretty nice to me.

Offline Ruttinghard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2021, 02:51:44 PM »
Thanks for the info crash. Todd Cook, have you ever shot a short bow like a Whistler, shrew, thunderchild, designed for long draws? (I haven’t yet, just curious if you’ve shot one designed for longer draws)

Offline michaelschwister

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2021, 01:30:37 PM »
The longer the better in my experience (48 yrs bowhunting) With your draww would go a 66" whip.
"The best thing to give to your enemy is forgiveness; to a friend, your heart; to your child, a good example; to a father, deference; to your mother, conduct that will make her proud of you; to yourself, respect" - Benjamin Franklin

Offline Ruttinghard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2021, 02:30:47 PM »
Thanks for sharing michaelschwister. I see you’re in waunakee too, I’m from sun prairie! Just moved from there to GA last fall. Small world.

Offline tzolk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2021, 07:05:42 PM »
Jeff, here’s a video of the chinook low classic grip. Very repeatable grip and very slender if you want. The riser is very petite. More so than a Whistlers. https://youtube.com/shorts/U1qFMLHD4oY?feature=share
64" Toelke SSLR
64” Toelke Whip SL
Great Northern Quivers only!

All the best!
Todd Z

Offline Ruttinghard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2021, 08:07:26 PM »
Thanks for sharing Todd! I like the look of that grip a lot. To be honest, I don’t know much about the difference between low, medium, and high grip. I assume just like they’re named, a high grip has the locator or throat of the grip up tight to the riser, while a low is the reverse? Does a low grip also tend to have your heel down more on the grip, and a high grip your heel less on the grip? I told Dan to do a classic grip with a bit “deeper” locator. He just said he would make it like he does his own classic grip. He mentioned the little ridge on it like you pointed out on yours.

Online Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2021, 08:15:06 PM »
Jeff, one thing that has proven to be absolutely consistent in my dealings with Dan for many years and many bows is that if he offers a suggestion, it's a good suggestion.

Online ed lash

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2021, 10:27:57 PM »
Dan "pushed" me into a Whistler too. I was really skeptical that a 60" bow could be as accurate and comfortable as a 64." Dan was right...and I was shocked by how nice that little Whistler has been.

Offline tzolk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2021, 12:13:19 PM »
Jeff, another basement video of extra low classic grips. SSLR and Chinook. The Whistler is a phenomenal bow too! 
64" Toelke SSLR
64” Toelke Whip SL

All the best!
Todd Z

Offline Ruttinghard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2021, 01:21:00 PM »
Wow thanks so much for the thorough video! That was super helpful to see the side by side views of the grips, as well as the limb stability difference. When I talked to Dan, he said “you could pole vault with the Super Static” when asked about their durability. Thought that was hilarious. I’m finding that I clearly need 3 Toelke’s, a Whistler, a SS, and either a 66” whip or 68” Super D. Lol

Offline tzolk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2021, 01:24:21 PM »
You can pole vault with the Super D too! Lol
64" Toelke SSLR
64” Toelke Whip SL

All the best!
Todd Z

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement