3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Two Stolen Tree Stands and a Buck  (Read 2964 times)

Offline Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
Two Stolen Tree Stands and a Buck
« on: December 01, 2021, 11:18:26 AM »
I started a new job on September 7th so I knew I would only be hunting weekends this hunting season. Last year i hunted a public land spot that had limited access due to the fact that it was surrounded by private land but you could access by walking close to 3/4 of a mile along a major highway. When i scouted it last year i found a lone wolf stand on the public land but right on the edge of the private farm. I made sure i was 150 yards away from that stand. When I went to put out a camera after hunting season started I found that my stand was stolen.

My guess is the person that has been hunting that property doesn't want company even though it is open public land. On another close by piece of public land that is permit access only I went in to check my camera and found that that stand was also stolen and they cut my lifeline so it was unusable. Sadly that is what hunting on Long Island NY has become.  Both of these spots the stands were at least a mile in to access and had to go through some really thick brush. I decided to hunt another area and bring my wedgelock stand in and out each time I hunted. To tell you i wasn't bummed out would be telling a lie, bothers me that we have slob hunters in our ranks and to steal from someone, especially another hunter. Thankfully I could afford the monetary loss without it being an issue like some folks.

Well I decided to scout a new spot and hunt it that afternoon. The spot I picked was about a 1/4 mile in and I found a decent rub line. There was several trails running  basically north and south that it looked like the buck was using. I selected a decent size red oak with some leaves still on it and set up for the evening. I saw a family out for a walk in the woods on a nearby trail which is typical surburban hunting and then around 4:00pm a spike came walking by. I let the spike walk by but was up for shooting a doe or basically anything else. Nothing else came by but my mood was lifted being in the woods.

The Saturday after Thanksgiving was my next chance to get out. I was going to hunt a different stand further out east on Long island where i shot my biggest buck to date. Well the wind was going to be 22mph further out east and only 14mph at my new spot. Decided to hunt the new spot, got up at 3:30am and made the 45 minute drive out east. I was in my stand by 5:40am with first light coming in at 6:20. Nice crisp 30 degree morning. Sure enough i hear a deer walking at 6:45am on one of the trials I'm hunting. Looks like he is a four point which is ok by me, I want some meat.  Now I'm hunting a cross wind and i will have to shoot him before he gets to the 1:00pm position of my stand. He decides to take a different trail and walks right to the bottom of my stand and starts browsing. After 5 minutes he walks directly away not giving me a shot. My spirits were high though on the encounter.

I'm thinking to myself, no way he made the rub line, since the trees were decent and it must have been a bigger buck. then I hear another deer coming from the same direction. Sure enough I see antlers and then the deer slowly ambling along. He is on the trail I'm hunting and I had just checked the wind and know i have to shoot him before he gets to the twelve o'clock position since the wind had shifted a little.  He walks into my shooting window at a slightly quartering too position and then stops. He turns his head and body to scratch his side moving his shoulder out of the way and my arrow is off. I hit him a little high but under the spine angling downward and he books out of there heading towards a power line road 100 yards away. I lose sight off him around 70 yards but hear a branch break. Is he down?

I wait 1/2 hour and then leave my stand to check to see if i can find blood or my arrow.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2021, 01:53:54 PM by Mint »
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Offline Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Two Stolen Tree Stands and a Buck
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2021, 11:30:03 AM »
I found the arrow about 5 yards further but it was filled with green gut material and blood. I'm thinking did i hit him too far back? No he had twisted his body to scratch himself so I'll bet I went through him exiting the gut. I decide to pack everything up and bring it to my truck first and then follow the blood trail. 
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Offline PrimitivePete

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2021, 01:47:10 PM »
Congrats on the Deer Mint, as a fellow LI'er I know the nonsense we deal with in order to hunt. If it's not over regulation and rules or it's anti hunters honking and yelling at us or the fact we don't have access to large tracks of land and the deer are very spooked, LI is a challenge indeed.
Last year when I was exiting DEC land, I hand this nut case block the road and stare me down as I tried to drive off, and as far as theft, I know of at least 2 trail cams that were taken or tampered with. But I still go hoping for my first LI Buck.

Offline GCook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2021, 02:22:43 PM »
Enjoyed your write up.  Congratulations on your buck.  One we'd all be proud to take.
I can afford to shoot most any bow I like.  And I like Primal Tech bows.

Offline Baylee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2021, 02:40:24 PM »
Glad it worked out for you with the nice buck. Maybe look into some cable locks for your stand or take them down when you leave and hide them. Public land 101 don’t leave anything out that you want to keep. I don’t use cameras myself but every single time I come up on one in the woods there’s a stand within 30 yards of them. Makes stealing them real easy.

Offline hessian

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2021, 02:54:33 PM »
Congrats sir!

Online Adirondack Bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2021, 03:07:14 PM »
Hi Jeff, great buck and story. Miss seeing you at  Muzzy.

Offline South MS Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2021, 03:48:14 PM »
Congrats!
Everything I have and have become is due to the Lord and his great mercy.

Offline Judd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2021, 04:01:40 PM »
Mint-
if you are so inclined you ought to try tree saddles.
Visit saddelhunter.com to learn more, you enter and leave with your "stand" so no theft.
No one will know where you hunt as you leave no sign.
I am 64 and still hunt from a tree saddle, specifically a JX3 style.

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2021, 04:22:21 PM »
Nice job brother!!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Online Jim Brennen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2021, 04:43:07 PM »
That is a great story and awesome buck. Sorry about your tree stands, Congrats on a nice deer
62" toelke whip 55#@28" 56" thunderchild 49#@28 54" shrew classic hunter 50#@28

Offline Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2021, 05:57:56 PM »
Thanks guys! I actually had both stands locked in so they must have had bolt cutters to cut the lock. Where i hunt further out east i haven't lost a stand in over 25 years.

Judd, i have a Kestrel Saddle and hunted with it a couple of years ago and like it a lot. Then last year I lost 35lbs and the Saddle wasn't as comfortable after my first sit so i stuck to my stands. You can bet i will be using it on some short afternoon sits from now on dialing in to wear it will be comfortable again. That will be my go to equipment for these two spots. I actually was planning to pull one of the stands out since i found  a really thick spot with major rubs but only small trees that only a saddle could hunt. 

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Offline mjh

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2021, 06:09:11 PM »
Nice Deer!   Some places it is not legal to leave stands up overnight.  Don't know the rules in your area.  Don't know that Conservations Officers have the time to cut down not legal stands.  They are pretty busy.  But yea,  thieves........well 'nough said about low life's.

Your Buck says a lot about knowing  your hunting areas well and being persistent.   :clapper:

Offline electricstart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2021, 08:09:59 PM »
Congratulations on a nice buck . Sorry about stands though .

Offline JamesD

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2021, 08:18:59 PM »
I enjoyed the story! Sorry about the stands, that's a real bummer. Congratulations! That is a great buck!
Regular PBS Member

Bisch

« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2021, 08:24:58 PM »
Congrats on a great buck!

Bisch

Offline beemann

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2021, 08:29:49 PM »
Nice work congrats...

Online ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2021, 09:21:10 PM »
Well done :thumbsup:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©