3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Tuning  (Read 972 times)

Offline gordydog

• Trad Bowhunter
Tuning
« on: December 08, 2021, 09:15:41 AM »
Finally tweaked some new arrows to fly and strike right on. After gradually adjusting length, point weight, strike plate, shaft insert weights and getting "good" arrow flight I lowered brace height a full 1/2 inch and wow that was it.
 I was reminded how lowering brace height will show a weaker arrow spine to help my arrow strike right on with perfect arrow flight. Usually I tended to adjust strike plate to shoot a weaker or stiffer arrow. Also, my thicker bow glove instead of my thin glove was part of this equation. The "perfect" set up and not just "good enough" is a great feeling and reflects on accuracy immediately.

Offline DNewer

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tuning
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2021, 09:43:34 AM »
So if my arrows tune slightly stiff I can lower my BH and bring them in?  Never thought about that but it makes sense. I’ve done every other micro-tuning you mentioned. I remember once I changed the strike plate on my longbow because it was worn out (soft sided Velcro) and it threw my arrows out of tune! 

Thanks

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2021, 10:18:21 AM »
Some of the problem is the way we describe these things.  If I have a bare shaft that is slightly stiff, I can raise my brace height and the bare shaft will fly closer to center.  In other words, raising the brace height reduces the dynamic spine of an arrow (or compensates for a stiff arrow).

I don't know if I’m saying the same thing in different words, or the opposite of what Gordydog is saying.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline DNewer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2021, 10:23:32 AM »
Thanks McDave. That’s where I’m at bow. Just borderline stiff.  Every so slightly bareshaft and I mean ever so slightly.

My question is. If my BH is 7” which way do I go to take that stiffness out of the arrow flight. 7+ or 7-?  My logical brain tells me to reduce the BH 59 6 7/8” for example or?

Thanks

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2021, 10:33:15 AM »
Thanks McDave. That’s where I’m at bow. Just borderline stiff.  Every so slightly bareshaft and I mean ever so slightly.

My question is. If my BH is 7” which way do I go to take that stiffness out of the arrow flight. 7+ or 7-?  My logical brain tells me to reduce the BH 59 6 7/8” for example or?

Thanks

Since it is very easy to adjust the BH, I would try it both ways and see which works the best.  I have had good experience with raising the BH to take the stiffness out of arrow flight, but YMMV.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline gordydog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2021, 11:32:54 AM »
Clay Hays video on tuning addresses this brace height issue.

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2021, 12:14:53 PM »
If your shaft is only slightly stiff, raise the brace height.

If your shaft is only slightly weak, lower the brace height.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline gordydog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2021, 12:29:27 PM »
Watch Clay Hayes video tuning a recurve,longbow and selfbow at 1:40, he makes a statement regarding brace height raising or lowering to affect spine.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2021, 12:40:31 PM by gordydog »

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2021, 01:12:24 PM »
If your shaft is only slightly stiff, raise the brace height.

If your shaft is only slightly weak, lower the brace height.

This is how I've understood it to be and have experienced it to a degree, I prefer to leave my brace at optimal quietness on a recurve and tune the arrow though, on longbows it seems optimal brace is in a more forgiving range
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Online Josh H

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2021, 03:18:00 PM »
I recently dealt with this issue. Tried every trick I knew but could not get the arrow flight I wanted. Not bad...but not perfect. I raised my brace height, and wow what a difference.

Try it, and the results might just surprise you.

Josh

Offline Whiteoak63

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2021, 05:49:15 PM »
I think a slightly stiff bare shaft will be even stiffer fletched.
When I bare shaft I stop at slightly weak.
56” Black Widow PCH-X 49# @ 27
58” Toelke Whistler 46# @ 27
Pearson Hunter 45# @ 28
1974 Bear Grizzly 46#@ 28
1969 Bear Kodiak Magnum 40# @ 28
Hunting in Gods Country.

Offline SS Snuffer

• Trad Bowhunter
  • At home in White Oaks and swamps
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2021, 04:18:21 PM »
I weigh my feathers and cut a piece of electrical tape to what ever the feathers weigh and place it on the bare shaft in the same place as my feathers would be and then tune it to perfection.
Chuck
Kodiak Mag 52" 41 lb.
Kota Kill-Um 60" 42 lb.
Kanati 58" 38 lb.
Black Hunter Longbow 60" 40 lb.

No Guts - No Story

Offline Kris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2021, 08:14:11 PM »
"Gordydog is my younger brother and we discuss this ad nausea.  I am a tune-aholic.  It is one of my greatest pleasures associated with trad archery and shooting.

All these tuning techniques mentioned, are tools that can help us to achieve perfect arrow flight.  "Only accurate bows, are interesting" (Paraphrased quote by Townsend Whelen Re: rifles)

Specifically, if you have to raise, or lower your brace to enable a particular shaft to fly most efficiently through your bow...great!  Be glad you've discovered a solution.  As much as I have my bias, I'm not sure one size fits all, i.e. raising your brace weakens spine or vice versa, as evidenced from the small sample of experiences above. 

I personally prefer a lower brace height for a myriad of reasons, so for me, this becomes one component, that I usually do not compromise on.  There are still many tricks in the bag I can pull from, to arrive at pin-wheel arrow flight and "interesting accuracy". 

Test, test and test, and then challenge what you think you've arrived at, and then prove it all over again.

Kris       

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©