3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How much do strings really matter?  (Read 1948 times)

Offline Matagorda

• Trad Bowhunter
How much do strings really matter?
« on: December 10, 2021, 08:25:10 AM »
Forgive my ignorance, I only have rifle hunters in my circle of friends.

I just got a new to me bow (mattawoman Kimsha Archery), and it lacked a string.  The maker has passed away, and I had to guess at the correct length. 

As long as they don't break while the bow is strung, what difference do strings make?  How can you evaluate a quality string vs not so good?  Do strings affect accuracy? Do strings effect draw weight? Speed?

What stringmaker's do you recommend?  Is stringmaking a skill worth learning for a new archer?

I'll shut up and listen.  Thanks.
A man that rents pigs wont be stopped.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: How much do strings really matter?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2021, 08:34:22 AM »
It's best to just buy a string and get shooting. I know there are sponsors who build strings here.  Pick their brain, they will help you. They will help you determine length. They will also be able to tell if the bow is fast flight compatible.

I do not remember the sponsors names but think Daniel b88 is as 2ell as Alan last name escapes me in my agedness.

Kimsha bows are nice, its unfortunate the bowyer recently passed.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline GCook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2021, 09:16:39 AM »
I can afford to shoot most any bow I like.  And I like Primal Tech bows.

Offline GCook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2021, 09:19:14 AM »
And yes they make a difference.   The right length, strand count, material and quality can make the difference in a quiet easier to shoot bow on one end of the scale and on the other end cause catastrophic failure ofbthe bow on the other end of the scale.

Offline Matagorda

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2021, 09:24:46 AM »
Gcook do you happen to know what strings are acceptable for Kimsha Archery’s Mattawoman 2 bow?  It is 62 pounds at 26 inches—if that matters. 

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2021, 09:34:23 AM »
I'm trying to learn to keep my mouth shut unless someone asks for my opinion, but a 62 pound bow for someone who doesn't know much about bows yet sounds like a prescription for failure to me.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Matagorda

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2021, 09:39:47 AM »
Nah, Ive just upgraded from my Bear Montana 60 lb.  My girlish 25.5 draw length had me pulling about 42-46 pounds and I just can pull more so I wanted a heavier bow.  But I need to get the string right I see. 

Online Ryan Rothhaar

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2021, 09:53:20 AM »
Silent but deadly is a sponsor here and makes graet strings, give him a call and he will help you out and tell you how to measure.

Tom Parsons built your bow. He was a heck of a guy and a great archer. Tom was a personal friend (to many many folks) and he is surely missed. Tom was one of the good guys.

R

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2021, 09:56:34 AM »
Goes without saying that the string needs to be the appropriate length and sufficient strength.  Beyond that, the newer low stretch strings do increase performance and reduce hand shock.  Most are also a bit noisier than dacron.  For me, the biggest advantage of the low stretch string is how much more pleasant they make the bow to shoot. That's why I use them.  Your bow will accommodate low stretch strings.  Your choice.   

Offline Matagorda

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2021, 02:18:23 PM »
Thanks for the help fellas

Offline mahantango

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2021, 06:28:39 PM »
To answer the other part of your question, yes string making is a valuable skill for anyone interested in archery to learn. Especially if you end up with lots of bows like most of us. It's kinda fun, relatively easy and very rewarding with little initial investment.
We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2021, 12:37:57 PM »
Nah, Ive just upgraded from my Bear Montana 60 lb.  My girlish 25.5 draw length had me pulling about 42-46 pounds and I just can pull more so I wanted a heavier bow. 

42-46lbs spread, you can pull more, and adding 2 lbs? Or 2-4lbs?

I would have a string built rated for your draw length and exact pounds at that draw length. Having a string built for weight you will never use is a heavier string than necessary.

I would stop ball parking weight and find out what your bows are actually delivering at your draw. Its easy to do and really important to know even if in the beginning it does not seem to matter.
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2021, 07:52:07 PM »
I didn't know Tom had passed. He was a good man. Any of the string makers here will take good care of you.

Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Mike Mecredy

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2021, 05:23:33 PM »
Others might now share the same views on the importance of the bow string, but to me, a quality string can make an average bow shoot better and a low quality string can make an excellent bow shoot poorly.   The string is the part of the bow that does the most movement during the shot, so with that, it's important that it is of low mass.  The new modern string materials, such as D-97, 8125,  Deema, 452X, Mercury, X-99, force 10, (I know all those are BCY, but I'm a fan)  are superior in that not as many strands are required, even for heavier draw weights, such as your 62# bow.  That makes them lower mass, and the bow more pleasant to use. 

A bow string won't effect your draw weight, but putting a better quality string on a bow like a D-97, low thread count string, will give the bow better performance than a thick, heavy, Dacron string (B-55, or B- 50). 

I can't stress enough how learning bow string construction, and getting good at it, will enrich your archery journey.   But if one hasn't the time or patience,  Silent But Deadly, is a company that makes some that are hard to beat.  And check the sponsor list here at tradgang, you can bet if they are sponsors here they won't disappoint.   
TGMM Family of the bow
USAF, Retired
A.C.B.C.S.

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2021, 07:30:41 PM »
I have used SBD strings with great success. Presently I am using endless loop strings from Chad at Champion bowstrings on my recurves. I don’t make strings, “every man needs to know his limitations “ , string making is one of mine.

Offline LookMomNoSights

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2021, 09:56:16 AM »
SBD

Any old string vs. a GREAT STRING (to me),  is like the difference between a Ford pinto and a Caddy SVT coupe.   It would be worth your money to buy one of each, set them up and shoot them and compare them against each other to feel for yourself what I'm talking about ...............
« Last Edit: December 16, 2021, 12:54:24 PM by LookMomNoSights »

Offline GCook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2021, 10:39:30 AM »
In 1985 I had a '74 Ford Pinto.  That thing was bullet proof.   I put several thousand miles on it while working multiple jobs while my wife finished college and we couldn't afford better cars.  She drove an old Mustang 2.  Now that was a pos.  The Pinto was an upgrade from the Plymouth Valient.  Some jack wagon T boned me in the Pinto one morning.  Fortunately I wasn't hurt.
That said I didn't buy another Pinto. 

I did just what was suggested.  Bought strings from multiple makes and styles and tried them on one of my favorite bows. 

And I ended up back where I was first sent.  Daniel at Hunters choice bowstrings.

I realize everyone has a favorite and often their choice is based on they stopped looking because what they found was better than what they had.  But cultivating multiple points of supply can prove advantageous when your in a bind for something.   Including a string.

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2021, 11:21:49 AM »
Ah yes, a Ford Pinto, the only car I know of that was named after a bean.  Yes Virginia, size matters (unless, of course, you're talking about bowstrings, where skinny can be better). I'm much happier with my Ford F-250.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline LookMomNoSights

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2021, 11:31:10 AM »
 :laughing:
The first time I put a skinny string on a bow,  regardless of center served area,  I had this thing in my head thinking the string was too thin and it couldn’t possibly be good for my bow or worse,  the string was going to break...... kind of dumb of me.  Anyways,  I got over that real fast as I liked the skinny so much more.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2021, 11:40:43 AM »
There are very many sources of good information on strings. The bowyer is a good place to start. Whatever he puts on his newly crafted bows is a logical place to start. As previously stated we have a lot of string makers on Trad Gang with experience building strings for just about everything out there. Lastly, we have a lot of experienced archers who have traveled this same road you are on who can share their experiences with you. I am interested to hear what you come up with. Fortunately, strings are priced such that trying more than one may be feasible.
Sam

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©