3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Newbie in need of guidance  (Read 2816 times)

Offline saburai

• Trad Bowhunter
Newbie in need of guidance
« on: December 16, 2021, 12:20:12 PM »
Hello All!
I recently bought a lightly used Samick Sage with 20# limbs. I've loads of questions regarding everything from point of aim to hunting techniques. Luckily, I got the bow from a friend who is a fairly accomplished traditional archer. He gave me an hour or so of instruction and now I'm shooting fairly tight groups 8-10 yards. I'm a lefty and the arrows are grouping about 10" high and 6" right using the area of the front of the rest as my reference point. I've got a pair of 45# limbs incoming which I'll use for  hunting. I have 5 field point aluminum 29" arrows that came with the bow so I'll definitely be buying some more arrows and need advice on on what would be best and affordable. I was thinking that I could use the same arrows for both the 20 and 45# limbs but perhaps I'm wrong about this? I know that I'm jumping around topics, but I just wanted to give an idea of the vast amount of learning and information that I'm searching for. I'm pretty sure that most if not all of my questions have been answered here already. Can anyone point me towards some relevant threads or tutorials where I can start? I'm very happy to be  part of this great community! Thanks to all, Rich
Nothing matters but everything counts

Offline durp

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Newbie in need of guidance
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2021, 12:39:02 PM »
Rich welcome to the gang !!! My first thought is you need to learn how to use the search function...try looking for threads that cover tuning...you will be able to answer a lot of your questions that way... :thumbsup:

Offline durp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2021, 12:55:01 PM »
You can go to the main boards then scroll down to topic archives and check the how to thread...lots of good stuff...

Offline saburai

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2021, 01:28:23 PM »
Hi Don, thanks for the suggestion. A big part of the problem is that I don't know what I don't know  :dunno:
Also I'm viewing the forums on a android phone which isn't really the best method to say the least. Of course I will follow your advice, search and generally poke around and see what I can learn. However, what I'm hoping for is a more concise tutorial or articles or perhaps some well established beginer threads.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2021, 02:28:27 PM »
Highly unlikely that you'll be able to use the same arrows for both bows.  Given the light weight of your current limbs, I'd guess the arrows you have are just too stiff.  Arrows hitting right for a left hand shooter is an indiation/confirmation that the spine is too stiff .  Before you buy more arrows, try the arrows you currently hgave on the 45# limbs you'll be getting.  Arrows hitting high means you just need to hold your reference point lower.

Offline saburai

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2021, 03:11:49 PM »
Highly unlikely that you'll be able to use the same arrows for both bows.  Given the light weight of your current limbs, I'd guess the arrows you have are just too stiff.  Arrows hitting right for a left hand shooter is an indiation/confirmation that the spine is too stiff .  Before you buy more arrows, try the arrows you currently hgave on the 45# limbs you'll be getting.  Arrows hitting high means you just need to hold your reference point lower.

Thanks, that's some actionable information!
I'm already at the lower left corner and I'm hitting the top center smaller circle. Maybe I need to change my references point on the bow?

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2021, 04:43:53 PM »
If you want to shoot gap rather than instinctive, I suggest you find some old threads on here that explainhow it's done.  Most gap shooters use the tip of the arrow placed at a certain gap (under) the target(for most shot distances).  If you use the riser shelf, it will have to be quite a bit lower than your intgended target.

Offline saburai

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2021, 04:45:22 PM »
Thank you sir.

Online Bowguy67

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2021, 08:26:33 PM »
Do you know your eye dominance?
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 57lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 52lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 53lbs
62” Robertson Fatal Styx 47lbs
64” Toelke Whip 52lbs
58” Black Widow PSA 64lbs
62” Black Widow PSA 54lbs
60” Bighorn Grand Slam 60lbs
60” Bear Kodiak Hunter 50lbs painted black. My uncles bow. He may be gone but his spirit isn’t. Bow will hunt again
52” Bear Kodiak Magnum 50lbs

Offline Stuart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2021, 08:35:28 PM »
YouTube videos are also a great resource. 

Offline saburai

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2021, 11:43:30 PM »

Yep. I'm a lefty, hand and eye.

Offline H1tman7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2021, 10:20:04 AM »
do you want to shoot gap? I would personally recommend it, and it's what you are doing now it sounds like. My suggestions would be the following:

- shoot 3 under, and I would probably go to a fixed crawl about 3/4" below the arrow - but you can adjust this to make your "point on" distance what you like.  I personally like a 25 yard point on
- put a rest on your sage - this will allow you to raise your knocking point so that your string grip is still centered and close to where you bows limbs will be tillered for.
- figure out your required arrow spine - your different weight limbs will have different spine requirements.  your draw length, arrow length, and point weight will also affect this. if your hunting you'll want those heavier 45 lb limbs for anything like deer.  if your going after rabbits, etc the 20 lb will be just fine.  Shoot the weight your comfortable with, with a mind on form. 

form suggestions: be aware of your bow hand and make a conscious effort to "push" to the target.  It's hard to explain I suppose but it's as if you were reaching out and touching the target and pushing on it.
I would shoot some at a few yards without aiming and work on feeling a clean release - no plucking and Good back tension.

post some pics in the form section and they can have a look at how your form works.  Video too and people can dissect any issues your having.

I see your in Florida,  i'm sure some of the members would love to have you shoot with them. 

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2021, 11:47:31 AM »
I hope you are involved with the Traditional Bowhunters of Florida. It is a jam up organization that sponsors a couple of really good 3D events each year. More importantly, you will meet a lot of really experienced and helpful people who can help you a lot. Watch for the shoot notices for the state shoot coming up in March. I hope to see you there. It is worth the trip.
Sam

Offline Mark R

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2021, 01:56:35 PM »
First off don't get ahead of yourself, all the technical stuff is helpfull more after you get comfortable with your shooting alinement and or form, get that right first, arrow basics as far as spine & draw length for specific draw weight can be found online and on the back of the arrow package, most have basic charts on them. You will have to experiment a little on 3 under or split finger, and aiming methods but have fun with it and do what feels comfortable to you. Proper arrows are important, it will keep on track better than shooting arrows that are way off on spine and weight. Have fun with it and learn the basics first, usually that's what we all come back to anyway to improve. Mostly it's suppose to be fun,JMHO.

Offline saburai

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2021, 04:27:49 PM »
do you want to shoot gap? I would personally recommend it, and it's what you are doing now it sounds like. My suggestions would be the following:

- shoot 3 under, and I would probably go to a fixed crawl about 3/4" below the arrow - but you can adjust this to make your "point on" distance what you like.  I personally like a 25 yard point on
- put a rest on your sage - this will allow you to raise your knocking point so that your string grip is still centered and close to where you bows limbs will be tillered for.
- figure out your required arrow spine - your different weight limbs will have different spine requirements.  your draw length, arrow length, and point weight will also affect this. if your hunting you'll want those heavier 45 lb limbs for anything like deer.  if your going after rabbits, etc the 20 lb will be just fine.  Shoot the weight your comfortable with, with a mind on form. 

form suggestions: be aware of your bow hand and make a conscious effort to "push" to the target.  It's hard to explain I suppose but it's as if you were reaching out and touching the target and pushing on it.
I would shoot some at a few yards without aiming and work on feeling a clean release - no plucking and Good back tension.

post some pics in the form section and they can have a look at how your form works.  Video too and people can dissect any issues your having.

I see your in Florida,  i'm sure some of the members would love to have you shoot with them.

Hi Andrew, thanks for helping me out, I'm super green and often need to do a search for a term you guys are using... Gap shooting I think, is the ticket for me. Instinctive is like throwing a ball at a target, correct? I've never been at all good at that. If it has sights that's a very different story for me. Fixed crawl? I found this but I'm still not exactly clear. Here’s the link:
http://bearsbutt.com/2016/05/12/fixed-crawl-method-of-shooting-a-traditional-bow/
Am I correct in understanding that the arrow is nocked on the nock point but I'd place my fingers below the the nocked arrow?
You said to put a rest on my Sage. Is that opposed to a bare shelf? If so, I believe that the guy I bought it from already installed one. It's some soft fuzzy material that's on the shelf as well as the "wall" that the shelf is on. Or are you referring to a different type of rest? Thanks again for your help! I'll keep plodding along learning what I can...

Online Bowguy67

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2021, 04:30:36 PM »

Yep. I'm a lefty, hand and eye.

Ok it becomes sketchy when you shoot with the incorrect eye that can throw shots sideways. Lots of form things could be doing it. Why don’t you post video
64” Toelke Whip 52lbs
60” Bear Kodiak Hunter 50lbs painted black. My uncles bow. He may be gone but his spirit isn’t. Bow will hunt again

Online Bowguy67

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2021, 04:33:48 PM »

Yes and absolutely no. As a new guy he’d not know who to take advice from. You can’t just hope the guy you’re watching is correct. You tube allows anyone to put up videos
64” Toelke Whip 52lbs

Offline saburai

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2021, 04:34:39 PM »
I hope you are involved with the Traditional Bowhunters of Florida. It is a jam up organization that sponsors a couple of really good 3D events each year. More importantly, you will meet a lot of really experienced and helpful people who can help you a lot. Watch for the shoot notices for the state shoot coming up in March. I hope to see you there. It is worth the trip.

Thanks Sam! I hope to meet you there as well.
The guy who sold it to me competes in the 3D shoots and referred me to them and here as well. I'm excited, but a bit overwhelmed  too. It seems like I've got quite a lot to learn before I can even buy some arrows...

Offline saburai

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2021, 04:39:05 PM »

Yes and absolutely no. As a new guy he’d not know who to take advice from. You can’t just hope the guy you’re watching is correct. You tube allows anyone to put up videos

That is very true and not just videos. If you've got a working knowledge of a subject and are looking for more information then it's easy enough to separate the legitimate from the BS. However, if you're still wet behind the ears? Not so much...

Offline saburai

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2021, 06:22:53 PM »
Here it is:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©