3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Newbie in need of guidance  (Read 2806 times)

Offline bowmaster12

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Newbie in need of guidance
« Reply #40 on: December 23, 2021, 12:50:05 PM »
For 20 lb limbs i wouldnt worry much about arrows. If you know anyone that shoots they might have a bunchbof old arrows laying around.  Dont worry about where your arrows are hitting or how they are flying and just focus on form.  Worry about getting the perfect arrows later with the new limbs once you have a decent form figured out.  Master of the bare bow dvds are a great starting resource

Offline saburai

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: December 23, 2021, 01:15:49 PM »
For 20 lb limbs i wouldnt worry much about arrows. If you know anyone that shoots they might have a bunchbof old arrows laying around.  Dont worry about where your arrows are hitting or how they are flying and just focus on form.  Worry about getting the perfect arrows later with the new limbs once you have a decent form figured out.  Master of the bare bow dvds are a great starting resource
Thanks again!
At 7 - 10 yards, a typical "good" group is like the attached picture. I'm aiming for the lower left corner of the target. In one of the previous replies, post #4 Orian suggested that the arrows hitting to the right is an indication that they're too stiff. Unfortunately, I've got no idea what spine they are. they are aluminum with pressed or bonded field points. I do have a powder scale so if it'd help, I can weigh the arrows. The nocks are messed up on them as well and don't correspond to the cock feather. I'm assuming that that might screw up the trajectory as well. Looking at the spine charts, I've not found any that go down to 20#. I was thinking that maybe I should get three 29" 400 spine carbon arrows with 125-150 grain field points and use that as a base line for working up the correct combination for training arrows for my 20# limbs. Does this sound like a reasonable plan?
Nothing matters but everything counts

Offline saburai

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: December 23, 2021, 06:25:34 PM »
I measured my draw using a  clothespin on an arrow. I used my knuckle on my cheek bone as a stop that felt right. I measured actual draw weight with a digital fish scale. It's 29# @ 29.25"

Offline huntingcop

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: December 23, 2021, 09:29:20 PM »
Get on YouTube and look at the Push Archery Videos they are a good resource. The main thing is just have fun!
PBS Associate Member

Offline saburai

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: December 24, 2021, 10:28:09 AM »
Get on YouTube and look at the Push Archery Videos they are a good resource. The main thing is just have fun!

Doing this now. Thanks!

Online chefrvitale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: December 25, 2021, 08:05:19 PM »
My 2 cents.
Consistent anchor and form is critical and this point because you will begin to develop muscle memory. Buy a clicker for draw length and anchor to a solid point on your face.
You also need arrows tuned to your bow, you will never achieve accuracy if your arrows don't fly properly. Call three rivers, kustom king or any number of traditional retailers on this forum and start your journey with the proper tools to build your skill.

Offline saburai

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: December 25, 2021, 09:14:22 PM »
Thank you sir!

Offline mahantango

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: December 26, 2021, 11:16:05 AM »
.400 spine shafts would be appropriate for a 55-60# bow at your 29" draw. You should be looking for .800 for those 20# limbs and maybe .600 for the 45#.
We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline saburai

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: December 26, 2021, 02:33:56 PM »
.400 spine shafts would be appropriate for a 55-60# bow at your 29" draw. You should be looking for .800 for those 20# limbs and maybe .600 for the 45#.

Thanks! On Friday I was in Bronson FL for some business. After I was finished, I called a archery shop in Chiefland called "The Deer Camp" to confirm that they were open and had a good selection of carbon arrows suited for my purpose. They confirmed both and that they were knowledgeable about traditional archery as well. The woman who helped me was friendly and seemed like she knew what she was doing. I had my bow with me and although I'd previously checked my draw length, she offered to check it again. She measured the same as I did, 29.25". Measured by a accurate digital fish scale at 29.25" my 20# limbs actually come in at 29#. She suggested some GT traditional CF arrows at a 500 spine weight based on the chart above the arrow display. She cut them down to 29.75, installed the inserts and supplied 125 grain field points. When I told her where my arrows were grouping, high and to the right (I'm a lefty), she suggested that I use a higher anchor point to bring them down and that it was probably my (lack of good)form that was causing the POI error... A bit later today, I'll swap my limbs for the 45# ones and get an accurate measurement of what they are at my draw. If they're anything like the 20# rated ones they'll be closer to 50#+. Perhaps the 500 spine arrows will be suitable for that weight... I'll add that while the women at The Deer Camp stated that they were knowledgeable about traditional archery, they had a total of two recurve bows on display and probably 50-75 compound bows and crossbows...
In any case, I'm about to see if I can't watch a least half of "The Push" right now.

Offline saburai

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: December 27, 2021, 01:41:13 PM »
I watched the push, very informative and enjoyable as well. I've also been watching some of Tom Clum's YouTube videos, very helpful as well. It's pretty obvious that I need to find a local traditional archery club and/or a coach to help me with form and tuning. I sent an email to the contact person for TBOF since they don't have any current info on upcoming events. If anyone here could help me with any leads that'd be great! I'm in the Williston/Bronson area of Florida not too far from Gainesville and Ocala.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©