3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How much can you untwist  (Read 931 times)

Offline bowmaster12

• Trad Bowhunter
How much can you untwist
« on: December 16, 2021, 08:24:30 PM »
How much can you safely untwist a string to get to brace height?  I ordered a string from the same maker the bowyer ises and to the spec of the bowyer.  I had to un twist the string a lot to get it to a 8 inch brace height.  Which is still 3/8th of an inch over recommended from the bow maker.  If i had to guess theres probably only 3 to 5 twists left in the string.  Is it safe to shoot this way? I do have an email into the string maker.

Offline McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: How much can you untwist
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2021, 08:47:17 PM »
There are usually a lot of twists near the string loops, and it would definitely threaten the integrity of the string if those were untwisted.  Usually these tight twists extend 7-8 twists past the twists that are actually needed to hold the loop together.  The twists in the middle of the string can be further apart.  My rule of thumb is to leave at least one twist every two inches in the middle of the string, so the tight twists near the string loops don't start to untwist.

Usually, a new string that has not been pre-stretched will stretch enough during the first hundred or so shots to require a dozen or so more twists in the string.  So you might have to start off a little over the recommended brace height at first, and let it settle in.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2021, 08:54:24 PM by McDave »
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2021, 10:08:19 PM »
I feel one twist per inch is least I would do
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline Gordon Jabben

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2021, 10:25:43 PM »
I'm surprised the bow even stays strung with that few twist.  I would put twenty twists in it and shoot a little like McDave suggested.  If it wasn't prestretched, it will probably stretch that much.

Offline GCook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2021, 10:41:38 PM »
Endless loop strings tend to come that way.  If you don't order the long they will have fewer if any twist.  Won't hold wool puffs worth a hoot.  I have 2 brand new ones on my bench that are useless because they have to be completely untwisted to make BH.
I can afford to shoot most any bow I like.  And I like Primal Tech bows.

Offline LookMomNoSights

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2021, 07:21:50 AM »
McDave could not have said it better.......
Measure your string exactly. Use a nail or whatever for each loop and pull it straight on a board or whatever you have ........ you can hang it also.  Just get a solid length measurement. It is always possible you accidentally got sent the wrong length string.   That’s what it sounds like to me.

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2021, 09:39:21 AM »
All strings stretch, if yours wasn't pre-stretched, take it off the bow, hang it on a hook so you can put downward weight on it and leave it over night and see if it is still too short in the morning. 

Offline GCook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2021, 10:56:49 AM »
If this stings weren't prestretched then he needs a better string builder.
If they were prestretched but just built to short to have some twist in them he needs a better string builder.
I can afford to shoot most any bow I like.  And I like Primal Tech bows.

Online trad_bowhunter1965

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2021, 11:29:49 AM »
There are usually a lot of twists near the string loops, and it would definitely threaten the integrity of the string if those were untwisted.  Usually these tight twists extend 7-8 twists past the twists that are actually needed to hold the loop together.  The twists in the middle of the string can be further apart.  My rule of thumb is to leave at least one twist every two inches in the middle of the string, so the tight twists near the string loops don't start to untwist.

Usually, a new string that has not been pre-stretched will stretch enough during the first hundred or so shots to require a dozen or so more twists in the string.  So you might have to start off a little over the recommended brace height at first, and let it settle in.
Well said McDave

" I am driven by those thing that rouse my traditional sense of archery and Bowhunting" G Fred Asbell

Trad Gang Hall of Fame
Yellowstone Longbows
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate Member
Retired 38 years DoD civilian.

Offline bowmaster12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2021, 02:10:44 PM »
Thanks for all the thoughts.  It does measure 57 inches which is the length per bowyer.  I twisted the string to 8 1/4".  I'll shoot it there for awhile and see  if it settles in.  I don't see it getting to reach the 7 1/2 to 7 5/8 bh that is recommended. I feel it would need a longer string to reach that bh range.  I don't mind shooting the 8 inch bh as thats where I set my other bow and the new bow shoots and sounds good there as well

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©