3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hunting Draw Weight  (Read 2416 times)

Offline ontariohunter

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Hunting Draw Weight
« on: December 20, 2021, 08:54:26 PM »
Trad Gang,

Long time reader, first time poster. Still somewhat new to Trad, I know enough to be dangerous. Loving the journey thus far.

Question about hunting draw weight.

Where I live, the regulations for White Tail and Wild Turkey say the bow must have a draw weight of at least 18 kilograms (approx. 40lbs) at some point between a draw length of 700 millimetres (approx 28") and the point of string rest. I live in Ontario, Canada.

The way that I interpret that is that I must have #40 @ 28". That means it would be illegal to hunt with a #35 @ 28" which is pulling approx. #43 at my 31" draw....? I haven't hunted with a recurve yet, and thus why I am asking this question.

Today I am learning the ropes on a Fred Bear Super Kodiak 60" #30. Feeling like I am ready to start figuring out what my hunting bow is going to look like, and thus hoping to get some clarification on the above  :biglaugh:!

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hunting Draw Weight
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2021, 09:44:23 PM »
I would get ahold of your local fish and game and get their opinion. Whereas I believe if you ever actually ended up in court, you would be fine, it would be a lot easier not to have to go to court and unless you are they have a scale on them how are they going to know how much you pull?
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2021, 10:04:11 PM »
To paraphrase what David said above, they are going to look at the marked weight on the bow, if they bother to look at all.  Logically, if your longer draw length makes a bow marked at 35# into 40#, they should accept that.  But I would imagine if the bow says 40# and someone is only drawing 26”, they would probably not have to explain anything, whereas you would.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Online HARL

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2021, 10:05:20 PM »
      Send me a pm and your phone #. I'll give you a call. I can explain things a lot faster that way .
62"63@28 Zipper Nitro
62"60@28 Zipper Nitro
A Doz. Hill Longbows

Offline ontariohunter

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2021, 08:45:50 AM »
I called and confirmed.

They said it must be 18kg (approx 40lbs) at 700mm (approx 28”) draw length.

It makes sense from an enforcement perspective, I guess it’s easier to check whatever is printed on the limb.

I feel discriminated against being a longer draw that I can’t actually shoot 40lbs on the button legally, unless I bought a custom bow that is #40 at 31”  :biglaugh: (lol I’m joking….)

Always learning! Thanks everyone.

Offline Noah70

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2021, 12:00:39 PM »
I checked with a friend who is a retired Conservation Officer, and here in BC the regulations state that the bow must draw 40# at the shooters draw length. The weight at 28” is simply an accepted average draw length. But then again, it would help if the officer at the checkpoint was also a bowhunter.  If you do get a custom, the bowyer would certainly print the weight at your 31” if requested.
Any man who lives within his means clearly lacks imagination

Offline Brandi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2021, 02:50:52 PM »
I've always wondered about this.  It's not realistic to game wardens out there measuring the draw length of every traditional hunter out there to make sure they meet the standard and yet, it completely defeats the purpose of the draw weight limits if you don't.

My sister's bow is 40# @ 28" which is legal to hunt with but since she has a 26" draw she technically doesn't meet the spirit of the law.  While someone else may be well over the bottom limit with a 35# bow and a 31" draw but technically be illegal.  One is under the minimum and legal while the other is over the limit and illegal.  Perfect example of how laws aren't always so black and white. 

Offline Mark R

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2021, 03:46:17 PM »
It can be simplified by stating at the draw weight limit of the persons draw length, and that could open another can of worms by the people drawing way more than usual to make the cut if checked, of course the only way to determine that is if the person enforcing it has a accurate scale and is willing to use it, if you think about it if the authorities are going to take the time and effort to check and I think they should on occasion there should be no problem toting a small bow scale to do so. Of course the hunter tax payer will flip the bill for the bow scale. :dunno:

Online Bowguy67

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2021, 05:55:23 PM »

Where I live, the regulations for White Tail and Wild Turkey say the bow must have a draw weight of at least 18 kilograms (approx. 40lbs) at some point between a draw length of 700 millimetres (approx 28") and the point of string REST. I live in Ontario, Canada.

[/quote]

Brother reread what you wrote. You’re completely legal. If your string RESTS at 31” what is the weight? The “at some point” isn’t directional, it can be past 28” as well.
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 57lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 52lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 53lbs
62” Robertson Fatal Styx 47lbs
64” Toelke Whip 52lbs
58” Black Widow PSA 64lbs
62” Black Widow PSA 54lbs
60” Bighorn Grand Slam 60lbs
60” Bear Kodiak Hunter 50lbs painted black. My uncles bow. He may be gone but his spirit isn’t. Bow will hunt again
52” Bear Kodiak Magnum 50lbs

Offline Mark R

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2021, 06:37:53 PM »
Bowguy I'm a little confused what if your draw length is under 28" and bow is 40lbs at 28" you would still be legal even if your draw weight is less than 40lbs ?. Either way what's the point of specifying 28" draw length

Online Bowguy67

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2021, 06:47:08 PM »
The man said he draws 31”. His weight is at that 31” draw. Heavier than 40. Now imagine you draw 26”. Somewhere between 28” and string rest 26” you never reached 28”. That draw might be 37lbs. Not legal if requirement is 40. Imo no one is gonna check that and if so draw to your ear if you wanna get over the law. No requirement as to particular anchor only string rest.  Hope that made sense and I’m not condoning breaking law just explaining
64” Toelke Whip 52lbs
60” Bear Kodiak Hunter 50lbs painted black. My uncles bow. He may be gone but his spirit isn’t. Bow will hunt again

Online Bowguy67

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2021, 06:48:35 PM »
I can’t say why 28” is even included but the whole law in a nutshell is as I stated imo
64” Toelke Whip 52lbs

Offline Mark R

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2021, 07:01:12 PM »
I totally understand, I think the draw weight requirement should be calculated at your draw length. Some bows marked at 28" are not correct + or - so what's the point in guessing one way or the other. :dunno:

Offline JamesD

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2021, 09:57:18 PM »
Having a longer draw myself (30.5"). No one has yet mentioned that the longer draw will often hold at a higher weight than a bow is built to, even if it is set to 40# at 31". A longer draw/power stroke imparts more energy to the arrow than a shorter draw length at the same weight. With that said, it looks like the way the law is written, give some variance to the draw length that 40# is hit at.
Regular PBS Member

Online Bowguy67

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2021, 02:16:12 AM »
Having a longer draw myself (30.5"). No one has yet mentioned that the longer draw will often hold at a higher weight than a bow is built to, even if it is set to 40# at 31". A longer draw/power stroke imparts more energy to the arrow than a shorter draw length at the same weight. With that said, it looks like the way the law is written, give some variance to the draw length that 40# is hit at.

Nothing to do with the bow or if it holds higher weight than it’s built to. It’s how much weight the bows holds between at point between 28” and string rest. Weight is weight doesn’t matter how it got there. What’s the exact weight at that point. There’d be a number associated w it and it is what it is and says nothing about a variance. Not sure how you’re reading that. To me it’s very clear that nothing matters except actual weight and it offers 2 ways to read it.
64” Toelke Whip 52lbs

Online Bowguy67

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2021, 02:21:31 AM »
My guess is that 28” thing addresses the peak weight of a compound being reached “at some point” previous to the 28”. Terrible written law but you’re definitely ok imo with a recurve at your draw length.
64” Toelke Whip 52lbs

Online Bowguy67

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2021, 02:29:58 AM »
OP where did you get this info from? When I look up your game laws it shows requirements for bow differing from deer to moose but says nothing about at some point. Says draw of 27.6 or LESS. Than you’d be illegal if you can’t reach that requirement
64” Toelke Whip 52lbs

Offline ontariohunter

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2021, 07:39:26 PM »
I called and talked to someone at the regulations office. They said the bow must be minimum 18kg at 700mm draw, which is essentially 40# at 28” draw. We discussed for a while and I made sure I fully understand what she was saying.

Online Bowguy67

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2021, 07:54:59 PM »
That’s actually exactly how your law reads. Once I looked it up it was clear. Crazy though and sorta unfair to long draw guys. Sounds like someone wrote the law not understanding stykbow
64” Toelke Whip 52lbs

Offline ontariohunter

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2021, 07:59:01 PM »
I fully agree with you… also it’s why I posted because it seemed odd.

Anyways now I know and I will plan my hunting bow build accordingly!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©