3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Jim Brackenbury "The Legend"  (Read 1382 times)

Offline Brokefarmer

• Trad Bowhunter
Jim Brackenbury "The Legend"
« on: December 20, 2021, 08:59:25 PM »
Hello all, I stopped into the local archery shop recently and notice a nice looking recurve on the rack. I didn't have the time to shoot it but the grip fit my small hands perfectly! The bow was an original Brackenbury signed by Jim, 64" 59# @ 30" Legend.
From my research I learned Jim made 3 models, the drifter, the shadow, and the legend. Is this correct or were there more models? What woods were used, which model was best,  and what lengths were they offered in? How is the performance and durability on the legend itself? Thanks in advance for any info offered, I can't seem to find much in my searches. Full disclosure, I can't stop thinking about it!!!! It's a little longer than I like as I'm a 26" draw but that grip!!!
« Last Edit: December 23, 2021, 05:34:25 PM by Brokefarmer »

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Jim Blackenbury "The Legend"
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2021, 09:54:15 PM »
My Legend was probably one of the last bows made by Jim Brackenbury before he died, and was the first traditional bow I bought.  His company continued on for a number of years after his death, but succumbed a few years ago to declining sales, etc.  I'm sure that if Jim had not died, he would have continued to innovate and his company would still be around.  He was one of the top bowyers of his time, and any bow made by him personally should compare favorably with the best bows made at the time.

If you have a 26” draw, the 59# bow should draw about 47# at your draw length, which is a good hunting weight for a man in good health and reasonable strength starting out in traditional archery.  You won't be getting the maximum performance possible out of those 64” limbs, because you won't be bending the recurves very much, but the bow should feel very smooth and stable.  To get the maximum performance possible out of a recurve, a person with a 26” draw should be looking at a 58” or 60” bow (some would say even shorter, but not me).

At the time I bought the bow, I don't recall as much talk about exotic woods as one hears now-a-days, possibly because I didn't have much money to spend on bows in those days, but Jim was known for the beauty of his bows.  I thought they were the most beautiful bows out there,  I can't help you with the other models.  As I recall, they were made for shorter draw lengths, but I could be mistaken.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Online Herdbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2021, 10:31:12 PM »
I have 3 Brackenbury bows and had two others that I sold. My bows are 64" and shoot very well and can take a beating. I like the heavy physical mass of these bows. Jim's designed inspired many other bowyers ie, Wes Wallace, BlackTail, Fox, Rose Oak Brandan Stahl, Stalker, and others. I can see why you can't stop thinking about it. HaHa   Mike

Offline Dave Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2021, 07:57:32 AM »
I’ve only had one brackenbery and pretty sure it was a 64” drifter and was low 60’s at 29 or 30” I have a 27” draw and the bow was really smooth but I could tell I wasn’t getting into the limbs right. I loved the feel of the bow but sold it. If you can buy it cheap maybe Wes Wallace or someone could build you a set of limbs more suited to you ?
Compton traditional bowhunters
PBS regular
Traditional bowhunters of Arkansas
I live to bowhunt!!!
60” Widow SAV recurve 54@28
60” Widow KBX recurve 53@27
64” DGA longbow 48@27

Offline Brokefarmer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2021, 08:24:05 AM »
Thanks for the replies so far guys, please keep them coming! No idea why my phone misspelled Jim's name, I swear I spelled it correctly!
Were the risers different lengths on the different risers(drifter, legend, and shadow)? I thought about sourcing another set of limbs for the riser but assume that would be a spendy option.

Online Stringwacker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2021, 09:02:25 AM »
My first custom bow ever purchased was a 60" Brackenbury Legend built 72 pounds at 27". I killed my first traditional whitetail and mule deer with that bow. I remember talking to him several times about the quiver mount and how I wanted it done a little differently than how he usually did it. He built it the way I wanted it. He also wanted me to drop the bow weight as he said he hadn't made many bows in the 70's. I didn't listen to that as I was shooting high 90's compounds and a 75 pound Martin recurve at the time.

From my memory, the Legend was his top of the line bow, the Shadow was the mid-grade and the Drifter was the lowest cost model. I think from a performance perspective, they were all the same as only the handle woods were different. I think they all had black glass limbs but the handles were different in color. I remember the Legend having a dark reddish brown handle but can't remember the actual wood used. I do remember I loved the look of the bow. I eventually ordered a Black Widow but kept it in a closet for several months because I love the look and the feel of the Brackenbury better.

I eventually sold the bow as it wasn't made for fast flight strings (at that time) and moved on the the Widow. I often wished I had the Brackenbury back.
Pope and Young Life Member
PBS Regular
Compton Bowhunters
Mississippi Bowhunters Hall of Fame

Online Jack Denbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2021, 10:15:38 AM »
I have a Brackenbury Phantom, Jim came out with it just before he died. There probably was not very many made as he passed shortly after they came out, in fact mine was in the works when he died and was finished up by Wes Wallace. The Phantom had a forward set handle. I think mine is 62" and 68 lbs. Now days I don't think I could even string it let alone shoot it. I also have a Drifter, when I ordered it, I ordered it @ 30". Jim asked is my draw really 30" and I replied yes sir my knuckles drag the ground when I walk, we had a good laugh about that.
PBS Associate member
TGMM Family of the Bow
Life is good in the mountains

Offline Bobaru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2021, 02:45:41 PM »
I have a 64" Drifter that I bought used about seven years ago.  It's the only bow I hunt with now.

Back in 2017, I had Wes Wallace make another set of limbs for it.  I had the opportunity to visit Wes at his shop.  He gave me a run through of the differences and similarities to his own "Mentor."  Wes told me the old Bracks aren't quite as efficient as the his newer models.  Still, it's a fine shooting bow.  I've taken any number of deer with it.

My son shoots a Shadow.  He wouldn't shoot anything else. 

I don't think you can go wrong with a Legend.  Plus, Wes Wallace will do any work on it that you need.
Bob

"A man has to control himself before he can control his bow." Jay Massey

Offline FITTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2021, 09:57:48 PM »
They are nice bows. Back in the late 80’s I was a teenager and had champagne taste and a soda pop budget. I always liked these bows and actually got to shoot a Legend a guy had and loved it. Back then I was eyeballing the Brackenbury, Schafer and Asbell bows…… just couldn’t afford them.
Philippians 4:13

Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Traditional Archery Society

Northernmist Classic
JD Berry Heritage
Howard Hill Tembo

Online Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2021, 03:40:26 AM »
I had a legend with 3 sets of limbs.I traded for it.It was a good trade for me because of all the limbs and I wanted to try one.I have one of his original broshures along with many others when I was shopping bows along time ago.

The bow shot great.I liked it alot.

The bow your looking at may not be a perfect fit at your draw.But that dies not mean you will not like it.You may love it.I would consider price and if its reasonable I would seriously consider it.Thier very rare for sale second hand!

If you dont jell with it you could get your money back I assume if its not overpriced.

Offline Brokefarmer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2021, 05:22:32 AM »
Thanks guys! I plan to go back to the shop after the holidays and check the bow over again. From my initial inspection it had some bumps and bruises but was in overall good shape for a bow of its age. I'd call the condition a 7 out of 10. What do you gentlemen think would be a "good" price on the bow? Thanks

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2021, 10:28:42 AM »
Frankly, I don't think that 64” recurves are going to be in that high of demand, unless a person has a really long draw length.  Preferences in recent years seem to be moving in the other direction, due in part to advances in techniques of making shorter bows, that didn't exist when the Legend was made.  This is not to discourage you from buying it, as it is probably a fine bow, and may be just what you want.  However, it may work in your favor price-wise.  I think you should be able to buy this bow for $200-$250, depending on condition, although the seller probably expects more than that.  So if you want to get the best price, make your offer and be prepared to wait until the seller gets realistic, if that ever happens.  The most important thing is to check for any cracks that may involve the wood or fiberglass, or any limb twisting.  If either one of those are present, walk away from it.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Online Tim Finley

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Jim Brackenbury "The Legend"
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2021, 06:47:31 PM »
I sold my legend last spring for $375. It was a 1984 model 58# at 28" with a bubinga handle and brown glass. We bought several from Jim they were great bows heavy and stable.
   I think a 64" would be long for your short draw but it would still shoot ok .

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Jim Brackenbury "The Legend"
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2021, 11:06:09 PM »
It's all about that grip! It just melts into your hand.

There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©