3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What happened?  (Read 5719 times)

Offline Gen273

• Trad Bowhunter
What happened?
« on: December 28, 2021, 01:08:06 PM »
I have not been very active on Trad Gang for a few years. However, it seems like the activity on the site is 25% of what it was say five years ago. So what happened? Or am I just remembering incorrectly?
Jesus Saves (ROM 10:13)

Offline Gun

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What happened?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2021, 01:53:58 PM »
Been kind of wondering the same
It's really simple. Just don't take those borderline shots. Tomorrow is another day.

Offline Amberjack

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2021, 02:31:52 PM »
Great question.  It's pure speculation but the world is in a depression (in every sense of the word) so maybe fewer dollars going to hobbies > less participation?

Dunno - to me archery is a damned cost-effective way to have fun.  If I could get my bow rescue habit under control it'd be just about free!

We go days or weeks between posts in the TGMM forum and that was a daily visit for me for years.

:dunno:

Jack
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
"Now then, take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me" Gen 27:3
>>>---TGMM Family of the Bow--->>>

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2021, 04:16:35 PM »
Sadly I know a bunch of people that have left the site, even more a bunch have passed away. A post would stay on the first page for one or two days , now a post can stay on page one for weeks. Not sure what the reason, but it’s real !!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2021, 04:41:43 PM »
IMO it’s a combination of a few things, first and foremost old men who refuse to change. Social media has taken some away as well. Most newbies start with social media. Then like mentioned, death, lack of interest, lack of funds for archery.
  This isn’t the only site that has lost activity, I can think of a few more plus one or two that went bye bye.

Online Bowguy67

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2021, 05:41:26 PM »
Fellas let me ask you something? How many kids have you mentored recently? How many kids not related somehow to you has it been? There’s a kid somewhere would def take you up on an offer to come bow fishing this summer. Maybe a 3D shoot, woodchuck hunt, deer hunt, etc but they’re home playing Nintendo or whatever they do.
There was a local traditional archery shop owner by me. He once said a few things will always draw boys. Fire, knives and bows. I think he was right. So as guys wonder where are all the trad forum guys, is it a dying breed? Are you helping that by not offering a chance to learn to every boy ,,, and girl you can? How bout the old folks? Maybe they’re divorced, widowed and would just love company on some warm afternoon to learn this shooting thing. I could relate many instances but fairly recently a woman walked into a class I teach. I taught her to shoot, helped her prepare for hunter ed and become both a hunter ed and archery instructor. I also took her hunting teaching her things to help her recreate the events even if alone. She does real well. I’m proud of her but this is what it’s about.
In case you didn’t notice the old ways are gonna get lost. It’s already happening in how even trad guys hunt. But who’s gonna teach the new guys? What mark will you leave behind?
In life we can accomplish things or just do them easy. Teach them how to accomplish and at least some will. Than more will be around to frequent forums and I bet they have lots of questions and interest.
So find someone who could have that interest. You’d be surprised who says yes. As they ask all kinds of questions answer them but you could mention trad gang as a place with all kinds of fellas with ideas to help. Remember to truly pass it on you’ve got to teach how to teach so that student could progress things along. Up to us boys. Become a mentor anyway you can and help everything including the forum. I know that’s not exactly what was asked but that’s exactly the answer imo.
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 57lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 52lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 53lbs
62” Robertson Fatal Styx 47lbs
64” Toelke Whip 52lbs
58” Black Widow PSA 64lbs
62” Black Widow PSA 54lbs
60” Bighorn Grand Slam 60lbs
60” Bear Kodiak Hunter 50lbs painted black. My uncles bow. He may be gone but his spirit isn’t. Bow will hunt again
52” Bear Kodiak Magnum 50lbs

Offline JonCagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2021, 06:37:27 PM »
I would say that traditional bow hunting is actually in a renessiance at the moment, there are lots of folks picking up archery while locked down due to COVID and also many wheel-bow shooters looking for a new thrill. There is a ton of information out here on the internet for people who want to learn, but they don’t seem to be coming here. I essentially grew up viewing this website, using it for any question i had regarding shooting or hunting. But as time has passed I see people asking the same questions i did in other places, like Facebook, Instagram or YouTube to name a few. Those websites are more picture/video oriented as convey information more easily than a text based manner that resides here. I’m not advocating for those places, just trying to give insight as to what happened from a younger person who grew up on the internet and has participated in archery discussions in most every corner of it

Offline Baylee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2021, 12:47:20 AM »
From what I’m seeing the “New” crowd of traditional bowhunters spend most of their time listening to podcasts about saddles and lightweight climbing sticks etc. or high tech water proof pants lol. They are not interested in wood arrows or the history and adventure of the hunt. It’s phone mapping apps and what’s your FOC and where can I get a 350  grain titanium insert for my micro shafts lol. A lot of the old school crowd is aging out of the sport and the new crowd are on a different path. Maybe they don’t have wheels on their bows but they about as close on every other level.

Online Bowguy67

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2021, 04:55:22 AM »
From what I’m seeing the “New” crowd of traditional bowhunters spend most of their time listening to podcasts about saddles and lightweight climbing sticks etc. or high tech water proof pants lol. They are not interested in wood arrows or the history and adventure of the hunt. It’s phone mapping apps and what’s your FOC and where can I get a 350  grain titanium insert for my micro shafts lol. A lot of the old school crowd is aging out of the sport and the new crowd are on a different path. Maybe they don’t have wheels on their bows but they about as close on every other level.

You bring up good points but as I stated earlier are we offering another path? We need to teach them. Someone knows nothing isn’t grabbing a podcast and saddle.
I do understand what you’re saying, everything my buddy does is Buck Rogers but he kinda taught himself. Turkey techniques I taught him, he’s almost a clone in a sense of methodology.
Guys I’ve taught archery too aren’t jumping over either. Maybe I’m just getting lucky but I’ll keep trying to be lucky
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 57lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 52lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 53lbs
62” Robertson Fatal Styx 47lbs
64” Toelke Whip 52lbs
58” Black Widow PSA 64lbs
62” Black Widow PSA 54lbs
60” Bighorn Grand Slam 60lbs
60” Bear Kodiak Hunter 50lbs painted black. My uncles bow. He may be gone but his spirit isn’t. Bow will hunt again
52” Bear Kodiak Magnum 50lbs

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2021, 05:45:45 AM »
Could be a lot of the things already mentioned above.

But "right now" there are at least 1,000 guys logged into pow wow.

756 guests of who have not yet joined trad gang.

At the very bottom of pow wow is a list of who all is active right now.

Roy from Pa, R. Fletcher, Brokefarmer, Ryan Rothhaar, modr, chefrvitale, pokeanhope, Twoblade shooter, 8upbowhunter, achigan, Bowguy67, JonCT, CroMagnon, ROSCO, Steelhead, Deno, Fredjake1, beendare, sheephunter, Chris04, Quentin VanPelt, old_goat2, tradflags, Baylee, huntsfairchase, FITTER, Dkpeppers, BlkDog, madmaxthc, Barry Wensel, Bisch, dragonheart, kskickapoo, Sky-chief, stik&string, Squirrel Hunter, Ronnie Newell, Phrogdrvr, MnFn, MrBadExample, woodchucker, Herdbull, shankspony, Hot Hap, DNewer, HARL, Mike Bolin, Chuck Jones, evgb127, Flbowhunter, 4dogs, Keuka, Orion, spotteddog, Whiteoak63, Trenton G., CR, mec lineman, SteelyDan, Drumstick63, Gun, Blackcow, InFamousElGuapo, Gen273, JDunlap, Rob5589, Darrell M, Jeff D. Holchin, arrow30, CDR, Yooper-traveler, ESP, TooManyHobbies, gregg dudley, parr, preaching archer, PICKNGRIN, 1Longbow, trad_bowhunter1965, Ghost Dog, Wyoming Chief, MCNSC, Mschmeiske, Rebel Bowhunter, yleecoyote23, Jbreak, GCook, jhinaz, duck85, ron w, doubleo, Mongo77, Jayrod, greg fields, Silvertip Marc, Seeker, elkhunter45, meathead, mikewcap, motorhead7963, tradgreenhorn, Anyminutenow, twobows, degabe, ksbowman, Possum Head, Dave Lay, twigflicker, Dennis Allman, Justcut, kadbow, J. Cook, lunatic11, Kenny Henderson, Cory Mattson, Dave Pagel, jdbbro, vaguely, MikeNova, idahojtg, Matagorda, JonCagle, bobm, algstick, SlowBowKing, ShooterF150, recurvericky, goingoldskool, Adirondack Bowman, Kmaddox2a, 9 Shocks, TwistedHollow, Friend, Buckeye1977, Alexander Traditional, Sean B, Jim Brennen, TimDougan, durp, bswear, Tater John, PrestonTaylor, Charlie Lamb, Bwilliams7, CedarSwamp, LC, Mike Mecredy, N Schraft, G.C., TradFan, Bernard Bjorklund, gee whizz, BAK, PrimitivePete, pinky, UncasUK, SuperK, cecilm, Jgill0056, mahantango, Flingblade, WPA nate, Kevin Winkler, digicon, Pete McMiller, Magilla, dnovo, Jim Wright, ivoryhunter, Preston Lay, Pack, CAPTJJ, Wdfox, youngarcher1, JakeD, bowcrazybrad, Bullchaser1, 1Arrow1Kill, Tyler Worstell, KyKid, Otis55, Elkchaser, TwoThumbsUp, knobby, non-typical, freeman, DV of WI, hessian, electricstart, M60gunner, Miikka, waterlogged, Stringwacker, chinook907, MGH, Vesty, kopfjaeger, twist_off, smokin joe, NBK, 10point, frassettor, NANUK, JR Williams, ranger1, birddog75, ohiodoeslayer, Pat B, ssoden, ontariohunter, TIM B, Zmonster, flntknp17, bulldog18, samr, happy1, DonJon, Ryan Sanpei, Deertaker, last arrow, Retired, ozy clint, lefty4, rastaman, Wilderlife, Fuzz Nuttz, dsturgissr, RI Red, Bighornangler, J. Holden, stagetek, Fatboy, Dsturgisjr, Cyclic-Rivers, mike1210, Ninnescah Hog, Basinboy, Arrowstorm, Hoss, mnbwhtr, stikbowshooter, Ruttinghard, John/Alaska, Hunter74, Bill Leeming, NY Yankee, kevsuperg, Cool Springer, BUCKY, Ben Pinney, TradBrewSC, Brokearcher, Bkirk, Tom, streamguy, Skwerl58, George Tsoukalas, SPRAYM, JohnV, larry f, elk nailer, Ahorn, 3arrows, David Mitchell, thumper-tx, skookuminak, Will Telluteyrd, huntmaster70, Hawkeye, Pete Patterson, brian wagar, Carpdaddy, bluegill, foxbo, Steve P, outbackbob48, Mighty Big Country, Wile E. Coyote, IAHWF, Lrworkman, DWinVA, Fallguy, murph60, billstick, BO-R, black velvet, George Vernon, South MS Bowhunter, Car54, JBrown, Cocklebur, Part Time Archer, Keefer, KAZ, hawkeye n pa, Green, keng, anchorman, bowmaster12, huckbuck, Ray Lyon, Diane.A, stocker56, Terry Lightle, Mike Manassa and 756 Guests are viewing this board.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2021, 06:28:12 AM »
I have not been very active on Trad Gang for a few years.

I think you already know yer personal answer to yer own question.  It's all good, for sundry reasons.  Ebb and flow - the tides of time and circumstance are all a major factor of life.  What was new yesterday is old today, and what was old yesterday is suddenly new today.  Life is chock fulla fickleness.  Go with the flow and do what makes you most happy, that's what should matter most.  Enjoy the Trad Gang ride while it's still here for you and others.

As Terry and I have said many times before, Trad Gang is what you make of it, what you contribute and share, because you are Trad Gang.

What Michael (Bowguy67) posted is quite apropos.  Sports such as traditional archery/bowhunting aren't exactly mainstream, and getting others involved is the only way the sport will perpetuate.  It's easier when there's a general public interest in trad archery, typically via the movies ("Robin Hood", "Hunger Games", etc) it's kinda up to us to lend a hand and get the newbies into the game and hopefully addicted.  But starting a local club, even if it's only a handful of archers, is a good step forward.  Archery, particularly the traditional kind that has historical connotations, isn't (so far) annexed to firearms, and thus might be a sport better adopted at schools and scout programs.  Working up a free trad archery "summer camp" with the cooperation of a local school or scouts is great way to get the young'uns into the sport - I know that from personal experience as an archery instructor.

IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2021, 06:44:19 AM »
Trad archery is a fascination to a lot of us involved in it, but we make up a very small percentage of the archery world today. And I'm fine with that. I myself have converted so many wheel bow guys over to trad archery over the years that I have lost count. And the best part is, still to this day they thank me again and again and they are still involved in trad and the majority sold their wheel bows. I just grin:) Then when they took their first deer with a stick bow, they were ecstatic and hooked forever on trad..

That made my efforts all worth it:)

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2021, 08:42:46 AM »
My activity has slacked off here quite a bit.  Nothing bad, no issues, just changing interests.

Like so many here I've been at this archery thing for a long time.

I was glad to be turned on to this forum many years ago by a good friend.  I used to be much more active than I have been the past couple of years. My passion for archery continues and I'm still able to and enjoy hunting with my recurves. I hope (if it His will) that I will do so for a while longer.

I still check in here about once per day and occasionally post.

I've picked up other interests over the past couple of years such as air rifles (that's waning now) and rimfire rifles, which I'm going full-bore in these days. I've always loved squirrel hunting with my Rimfires. 

The pandemic has had zero impact on my interests although it did cause me to retire about a year earlier than I had planned, but it was time.  I now enjoy 6 Saturdays and a Sunday every week.

This will actually be a 2-bow year for me what with Felix's wonderful Snakebit and the new Widow PAX Carbon I have on order.

Offline electricstart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2021, 09:28:48 AM »
I have asked a few questions on here was even thinking becoming a contributor. All I ever get is one maybe two responses ,so I figure maybe there dumb questions so don't ask anymore . I have been in Tradition a long time .Hunter 50 plus years . I still learn a few things from the site .which is good . This a getting to be a boring site hate to say it . I check everyday not much going on . With the so called lock down you think more people would want to post . I don't even think I saw a Merry Christmas or Happy New year .Many things besides hunting can be discussed in pow wow but rarely see it and if you do post it no one responds . Also the site could use updating maybe a like or thank you or agree icon .Also maybe a notification that someone responded to your post . I will continue to check in and hope it gets better.

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2021, 09:59:43 AM »
I expect there is a gradual movement away from print to more visual communication.  Personally, I have little to no interest in Facebook or instagram, although I have some interest in YouTube for the instructional videos, not only in archery, but in other activities I am interested in.  For example, in some activities such as cast iron and wok cooking, I still have a lot of uncertainty, and seeing something done gives me more confidence than just reading about it.  However, for more than 50 years, reading was the way I learned things, entertained myself, and found out about the world, so I am still drawn to the printed word more than anything else.  Not so with young people, who have experienced visual media all their lives.  I'm not sure this virtual reality stuff is all that healthy, but neither were a lot of the things we did in the 20th century, like smoking, so hopefully they will reach some kind of a balance and introduce more “real” reality back into their lives at some point.

Our local archery club grew quite a bit during the pandemic, and a lot of that growth was in traditional archery.  For about the first 30 years I belonged to the club, the membership was about 90% compound shooters and 10% trad shooters, but I think the new members we gained during the pandemic have been more like 60/40.  A lot of the reason people decide to do things has to do with the emotional appeal of the activity.  Earlier, the majority of people were fascinated by the compound bow, and viewed traditional equipment as “quaint.”  Now, people are more likely to view the compound bow as merely a more efficient means of hunting, but of course nowhere near as efficient as a rifle or shotgun.  The emotional appeal for many new archers has shifted over to traditional equipment, probably because it seems almost magical to be able to learn to hit something at a distance with something so simple and beautiful as a traditional bow.

So the audience is there, but it is up to TradGang to learn to adapt to the modes of communication that appeal to it.  Unfortunately, I can't be of much help with this, as I like TradGang just fine the way it is.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Online PrimitivePete

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2021, 10:20:49 AM »
For my opinion is that the sport has been bit the same as every other. There is more effort being made to talk about the new bow with all the extras attached to it, rather than enjoying a day out in the woods hunting. People are more fascinated these days about what you shot and killed rather the work you did to get there. Add to it that with todays modern materials and creations the sport isn't exactly cost effective either. I also see new bowhunters who have still not figured out how to shoot and hit what they are shooting at, strive for an expensive bow rather than start with something a bit less costly yet still effective. In the end they don't get to where they want and the bow goes in the closet.
I feel the patience part of the sport has lost it's ground.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2021, 10:26:31 AM »
I have asked a few questions on here was even thinking becoming a contributor. All I ever get is one maybe two responses ,so I figure maybe there dumb questions so don't ask anymore .

Frank, I looked at all 109 of your posts and saw no dumb questions and lots of good replies.  I don't get where yer coming from, sorry.

I have been in Tradition a long time .Hunter 50 plus years . I still learn a few things from the site .which is good .

That's what this forum is all about - and you've shared some really good stuff that we've all appreciated.

This a getting to be a boring site hate to say it . I check everyday not much going on . With the so called lock down you think more people would want to post .

Start posting stuff and end your boredom.  YOU - and every other registered user - ARE Trad Gang.  YOU dictate the conversations.  They ain't gonna happen by themselves.

I don't even think I saw a Merry Christmas or Happy New year .

Well, yes you and I have, on the "Merry Christmas" thread where we both posted on it.

Many things besides hunting can be discussed in pow wow but rarely see it and if you do post it no one responds .

Again, if you don't see it, POST IT - start a conversation, that's what this forum is all about!

Also the site could use updating maybe a like or thank you or agree icon .

"Great minds think alike".  Last week I looked into adding a "Like" button to all posts ... I started a trial on the Trad Gang sister forum, if it goes well I'll try to implement it here at Trad Gang.

Also maybe a notification that someone responded to your post .

That's already been part of Trad Gang since day one - email notification of replies to a thread you've posted on ....

Got to your Profile, click on Modifications, check at least the box for "Turn notification on when you post or reply to a topic."

You may also wish to update some of the other notification settings on that page.

I will continue to check in and hope it gets better.

To at least some degree, that's gonna depend on you, too.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2021, 10:32:24 AM »
.... So the audience is there, but it is up to TradGang to learn to adapt to the modes of communication that appeal to it.  Unfortunately, I can't be of much help with this, as I like TradGang just fine the way it is.

I've yet to see ANY social media platform that's better than a forum. 

Social media is linear instant gratification that is difficult if not possible to search.  It's not meant for the long haul and is not as interactive as forums.  Forums make it easy to both see and keep track of all conversations.  If there was something better than forums, we'd be on it.  Hasn't happened ... yet! 

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2021, 10:38:15 AM »
For my opinion is that the sport has been bit the same as every other. There is more effort being made to talk about the new bow with all the extras attached to it, rather than enjoying a day out in the woods hunting. People are more fascinated these days about what you shot and killed rather the work you did to get there. Add to it that with todays modern materials and creations the sport isn't exactly cost effective either. I also see new bowhunters who have still not figured out how to shoot and hit what they are shooting at, strive for an expensive bow rather than start with something a bit less costly yet still effective. In the end they don't get to where they want and the bow goes in the closet.
I feel the patience part of the sport has lost it's ground.

I agree on all accounts.  So what do we do?

Online arrow30

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2021, 11:10:15 AM »
nobody tells their hunting stories anymore, just look at the highlights page, 24 posts!
 used to be 2 full pages of pics and stories. (guess nobodies killing anything  :dunno:)
original register date- jan. 2010

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©