3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Some items you take hunting in remembrance of those passed.  (Read 1909 times)

Offline PICKNGRIN

• Trad Bowhunter
Some items you take hunting in remembrance of those passed.
« on: December 30, 2021, 09:01:47 PM »
I am sure some of you have things you take hunting that are reminders of those who have passed on.  It would be interesting to hear what some of these items are for fellow Tradgangers.
For me, this year I had 2 items with me hunting that came from fellow Tradgangers who have passed on.
First one for me is a well used Bateman tab.  I received it from a good friend, Kevin Brady.  We were talking about shooting tabs one day several years ago.  Kevin really liked the Bateman tabs.  He let me try his and I thought it was a great tab.  The next time I saw Kevin he handed me a brand new one as a gift!  Kevin was an awesome shot with his Blacktail bows.  He had a great sense of humor.  All of us trad shooters who knew him really miss him.  We lost him several years ago to cancer.

The second item is the 43# Holm Made static River Runner made by Chad Holm.  Looking at it while in my deer stand, I can picture Chad doing the shaping of the grip, the sanding, and spraying on the finish.  I own 4 of Chad's bows and try to honor his memory by hunting with them each season.  Chad was a fine bowyer and a fine gentleman.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2021, 09:09:18 PM by PICKNGRIN »

Online MCNSC

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Some items you take hunting in remembrance of those passed.
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2021, 09:31:34 PM »
It’s not my grandfathers , but one of the reasons I like using a haversack is it reminds me of him. He used to always carry a bag , usually made from a burlap feed sack with a shoulder strap attached. He carried it to put rabbits and squirrels in.
"What was big was not the trout, but the chance. What was full was not my creel, but my memory"
 Aldo Leopold

"It hasn't worked right since I fixed it" My friend Ken talking about his lawn mower

Online Trenton G.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2021, 10:11:41 PM »
Not sure if this counts but I still carry my grandpa's hunting backpack with me during gun season. I've also hunted with his rifle every year since he's passed away and its continued to put meat in the freezer every year.

Online Bowguy67

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2021, 05:56:38 AM »
My uncles bow is one I’ve carried recently. Didn’t get a buck with it this year but we had some fun. First two days with it we took two does.
My mom just told me she has my deceased brothers bow she’s gonna give me. I’m sure that’ll come along next year some as well.
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 57lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 52lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 53lbs
62” Robertson Fatal Styx 47lbs
64” Toelke Whip 52lbs
58” Black Widow PSA 64lbs
62” Black Widow PSA 54lbs
60” Bighorn Grand Slam 60lbs
60” Bear Kodiak Hunter 50lbs painted black. My uncles bow. He may be gone but his spirit isn’t. Bow will hunt again
52” Bear Kodiak Magnum 50lbs

Offline hawkeye n pa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2021, 07:09:17 AM »
A Marbles knife that was Grandad's and then dad's.  And a waterproof match container from my Son. 
Jeff
>>>>---------->
Fear of the Lord is the beginning of Wisdom.

Online Al Dente

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2021, 08:25:56 AM »
I have carried my Dad's pocket knife, was my Grandfather's, every day since he gave it to me when I was 8, and while hunting, since Dad ascended 6 years ago, I bring along his KABAR, which has to be over 50 years old.  The stacked leather handle is old, worn, and dry, but every time I think about reaching out and asking who can replace it, I simply cannot bring myself to let it out of my grasp for fear of never getting it back.  For the record, it is shaving sharp and has seen the insides of dozens of deer.
BOD Member
Past President
Life Member
New York Bowhunters, Inc.
>>>>------------------------>

Online kopfjaeger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2021, 08:34:56 AM »
My brothers compass. A Buck Model 102 woodsman knife my Dad bought me in 1971, and a Ideal hunting knife my father-in-law gave me. All three have passed away.
HE made me into a polished arrow & concealed me in HIS quiver. Isaiah 49:2

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2021, 09:40:06 AM »
Used to carry my Dad's Solingen steel bone handled knife, until it disappeared from my truck in a backpack with a bunch of other stuff.  Now I'm hunting a Big River recurve that was my first custom bow.  John has not passed but has stopped making bows at 92.
 :campfire: :coffee: :archer2:
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Offline durp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2021, 11:24:25 AM »
Mostly memories...they are easy to pack,  easily accessed,  no one gets left out and they stay fresh with use  :campfire:

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2021, 12:45:55 PM »
I've lost at least a dozen friends I bowhunted with. I used to carry items for remembrance but they generally made me feel sad and I stopped doing it.
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Online Bowguy67

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2021, 01:47:52 PM »
This is a great thread idea btw. Fun to read of all the fellows ideas.
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 57lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 52lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 53lbs
62” Robertson Fatal Styx 47lbs
64” Toelke Whip 52lbs
58” Black Widow PSA 64lbs
62” Black Widow PSA 54lbs
60” Bighorn Grand Slam 60lbs
60” Bear Kodiak Hunter 50lbs painted black. My uncles bow. He may be gone but his spirit isn’t. Bow will hunt again
52” Bear Kodiak Magnum 50lbs

Offline bowmaster12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2021, 02:00:07 PM »
Dads wool pants either his hunting knife or the one my grandpa made me.  The antler tips and antler on the limb bolts of my new bow are from my dad and grandpas rattling antlers. My finger tab was my dads even though he shot wheels with it. During gun season either carry dads 30-06 or grandpa pre '64 30-30

Offline PrimitivePete

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2021, 03:07:15 PM »
I carry a knife used by Dale Dye. Although I don't own any of his bows, I respect his contributions to our sport each time I go out.

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2021, 03:28:06 PM »
My best friend and hunting partner gave me a nice Ferrell Rod to carry in my hunting gear just before he died.
I carry it and have never used it. Just a keep sake.
 :archer:
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ronp

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2021, 03:54:07 PM »
I carry my Dad's Western sheath knife in my pack. We both have field dressed many deer with it. I keep it in my pack so I won't lose it.
Ron Purdy

TGMM Family of the Bow
MTB
NRA

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2021, 04:10:57 PM »
A Chad Holm Bow, and my Dads small trout and bird knife !!!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline GCook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2021, 04:17:15 PM »
Mostly memories...they are easy to pack,  easily accessed,  no one gets left out and they stay fresh with use  :campfire:
Amen.
I can afford to shoot most any bow I like.  And I like Primal Tech bows.

Offline GCook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2021, 04:25:30 PM »
My uncle was more of a dad to me than his brother.  Took me fishing and small game hunting.  When my grandfather passed I was given his old .44 mag Marlin.  I didn't care for the gun and traded Uncle Roland for his 6mm Remington 600 Mohawk.  Every now and then it escapes the safe and ends up in a tree.  This year it took my best buck ever in Missouri. 
I sent a pic to his son (whom I saw for the first time in over 20 years just 2 weeks earlier) and remembered those years growing up in the woods around good folks. 
But no, I don't on a regular basis.  Just the memories as stated before.
I can afford to shoot most any bow I like.  And I like Primal Tech bows.

Offline ronp

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2021, 04:57:09 PM »
I carry my Dad's Western sheath knife in my pack. We both have field dressed many deer with it. I keep it in my pack so I won't lose it.

I also just recently acquired a Buck 110 that belonged to a friend.  Carried it a couple times this fall.  And I occasionally carry a buck call made by another friend who passed a few years ago. 
Ron Purdy

TGMM Family of the Bow
MTB
NRA

Online wood carver 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2021, 05:59:27 PM »
My friend and hunting buddy Tom from Ohio, passed last fall. I have a deerhide hip quiver that he made for me that I carry on 3d shoots. For turkey hunting, I have a turkey tote and a cedar box call that Tom made as well. I want to ask his wife for one of his hunting knives so I can carry a part of him on deer and moose hunts.
I also have an old 16 gauge side by side that was my Grandfather’s. My Dad hunted with it for years and when we had to register our guns, he told me to put it in my name.
The memories are a big part of why I love hunting.
Dave.
" Vegetarian" another word for bad hunter.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©