3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Black Tail Bows  (Read 1955 times)

Offline Scamper

• Trad Bowhunter
Black Tail Bows
« on: December 30, 2021, 11:24:29 PM »
Hi

I got in under the wire and am ordering a Blacktail Sitka

Very excited!

Love to see pics!

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Black Tail Bows
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2021, 11:37:38 PM »
Under what wire?
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2021, 12:04:03 AM »
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Scamper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2021, 12:18:07 AM »
I mean before they stop accepting orders

Tomorrow last day for an undetermined period

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2021, 08:46:00 AM »
Yep, they've announced "in stock" purchase strategy except for special order Legacy bows.

Online Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2021, 09:49:30 AM »
I believe after today they will stop taking any new orders with the exception of the Legacy Series starting at $4500.00

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2021, 11:24:19 AM »
Seems like an odd direction for a high end bow company to go.  I can think of 6-7 different things I would like to choose on a $1,500-2,000 bow, like wood, grip, RH/LH, split/3 under, poundage, limb length, and other embellishments.  I could easily wait for the rest of my life (I’m 77) for something like that to turn up on the already made rack.  I don't think I would be likely to opt for a $4,500 model instead; unless they just coincidently had what I wanted on their rack, I’d look elsewhere.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline George Vernon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2021, 12:24:00 PM »
They have introduced the 'Classic Series' longbows and recurves for $895.00.  Beautiful bows that mimic the Elite series but without some of the whistles and bells.  Take a look on their website.  I purchased a 60" Classic Recurve with the bocote/ebony diamond wood combination.  Compares favorably to my Snakebit recurve.  I think it's a smart move to offer such quality at such a good price.

Offline beendare

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2021, 03:17:32 PM »
Seems like an odd direction for a high end bow company to go.  I can think of 6-7 different things I would like to choose on a $1,500-2,000 bow,

I get it. The production snafu’s with all of those different options has to be overwhelming.

I own a company that has these same issues and its a nightmare with all of the moving parts and customization.

My guess, they realized they will still sell the same amount of bows…and in simplifying their process, its much less headaches. This move might even improve the quality and consistency of the final product through that simplification.

I dont own one but have seen them, fantastic bows. Best wishes to the owner…

You don't drown by falling in the water; you drown by staying there.”
― Edwin Louis Cole

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2021, 10:38:59 PM »
Even if I were rich, I would not spend that kind of money on a working tool. I would be worried about getting the dings and scratches that are inevitable with a hunting bow. They sure do look good, though.
Sam

Offline GCook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2021, 10:51:55 PM »
What Sam said.
I can afford to shoot most any bow I like.  And I like Primal Tech bows.

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2022, 09:30:29 AM »
Wonderful artistic creations...
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline George Vernon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2022, 10:48:55 AM »
Bruce makes a good point about how time consuming it can be to handle all the custom options Blacktail offered.  And there are things not visible that they do.  For example, in their custom bows they have, internal to the riser, a reinforcing layer a bit like an I beam, but thinner, that is not seen but is said to add a lot of strength to the riser.  One of the reasons they offered a lifetime warranty on the riser.

They are also making the Tomahawk longbow for Three Rivers while Norm Johnson is making the limited number of high end custom longbows for Three Rivers.  Maybe they have such a high production load, they can no longer handle all the effort of the custom bows unless you get into the really pricey ones.

Regardless, from my perspective the new Classic Series is an outstanding bow. 

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2022, 11:47:14 AM »
Thanks for the update.  I think it’s probably a good deal.  I have owned three Blacktails, I bought them all in used condition, so I didn’t have any choice anyway.  They were all great bows, but the middle one was too big for me.  I don’t much care about fancy wood either way, but most of my bows have had nice wood. I am more drawn to the shape, design and handling characteristics of a bow.

I think I would be drawn to buying the Classic, if I were looking for a new recurve.  It seems like a good deal to me.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Online 2wfstlhunting

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2022, 12:52:16 PM »
On reading the comments, I am pleased and encouraged NOT to see the kind of insulting rhetoric that I sometimes find at times on archery sites.  That said, I own two Columbias/longbows (a one piece and a take down) and love them and use them in the field. I have other bows that I enjoy also but this is about Blacktail, so:  I believe that with the combined issues of demand, supply, and personnel that the decision was made to take a "Time Out" on new custom orders, which has an enormous customer service requirement .  I think that all in all, it was a professional and polite way to get the word out as to the business decision which they have taken.  It will go back to normal at some point, but they need a breather.  It is an AMERICAN business that does a quality job and has first class customer service. Enjoy the fact that they are there and do what they do.  Traditional Archery is a niche business, and people who build quality equipment for us should get the support that they deserve.   
Leon Stewart Deflex/Reflex Mahogany and bamboo 62" 53#@27.5"
Leon Stewart Deflex/Reflex curly maple, birdseye maple and Osage riser 53#@ 28"
Blacktail 62" longbow takedown 53#/57# B & W ebony
Harvey Crowned Eagle longbow  62"  49#

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2022, 02:21:15 PM »
I've always admired their bows.  Simply outstanding work and attention to detail.  The thing that stopped me from being interested back when I could have afforded one was the lack of a simple 1 piece longbow. Or a 2 piece  that looks like a 1 piece when assembled.
I think they make besautiful bows for those desiring them.  Great performers also.
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Offline FITTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2022, 10:36:03 PM »
Didn’t realize the made the Tomahawk bows and custom bows for three rivers….. a lot of irons in the fire.
Philippians 4:13

Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Traditional Archery Society

Northernmist Classic
JD Berry Heritage
Howard Hill Tembo

Online Trenton G.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2022, 11:17:19 PM »
Ever since they came out with their Trout-hide bow a couple of years ago I've wanted one. Hopefully at some point down the road the opportunity will come back up for one.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2022, 08:38:37 AM »
Blacktail bows are my favorite bows of all the great bows and I've owned 20 or more different customs. This company is very innovative and cutting edge, especially for a company that's been around for quite a while.

If this newest move results in more in-stock, no-wait bows, that will be terrific.  Surely if the pile is large enough most folks will find something that would work for them.   

Surely the traditional market is still booming?  I wouldn't think COVID would be impacting supplies for bowyers, maybe labor?  It seems like waiting times are getting longer rather than shorter. I did some checking on line of some bowyers I've bought from in the past, some more than 10 years ago and they are still cranking out bows.

Glad to see it!

Oh, if I could afford to be a sheep hunter, I'd also afford to have a Legacy with bighorn artwork.  Alas, I didn't stay young enough, long enough to get that done.

Offline beendare

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2022, 11:22:33 AM »
 I wonder if it might end up being a trend in the industry?

I talked to South Cox a minimum of 4x on my Riser build….can you imagine doing that 100x a day?

Whereas, he could build a bunch of different wood combos and just put them on his website where they get gobbled up faster than they can make them.

It might be worth pulling the trigger now if a guy has been debating this….

You don't drown by falling in the water; you drown by staying there.”
― Edwin Louis Cole

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©