3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Being overbowed - are you overbowed?  (Read 6637 times)

Offline Larry Dean

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Being overbowed - are you overbowed?
« Reply #80 on: February 11, 2022, 06:49:45 PM »
It has always bothered me when those that could not shoot heavy bows felt belittled. Absolutely nothing wrong with a 40 pound bow that you can be accurate with for deer hunting. Just pick a broad head and arrow that can utilize the cast of the bow.

Offline Wilderlife

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #81 on: February 11, 2022, 07:15:09 PM »
It can go both ways I guess. I would personally never belittle anyone for the bow they shoot; this is all supposed to be fun at the end of the day.

Having said that, in my limited experience I've seen just as much flack sent towards people who shoot heavy bows for supposedly being driven by big ego and being macho, as I have sent to people who shoot lighter bows for supposedly being irresponsible and unethical because they don't have enough power (in the eyes of some).

It's difficult to ignore how much crap is out there sometimes.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #82 on: February 11, 2022, 07:27:07 PM »
What he said^^^^^

Not sure how ANYONE could not miss that going both ways.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Wilderlife

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #83 on: February 11, 2022, 07:34:45 PM »
Part of my motivation for this thread and the video, to be honest. Anyone who knows me personally knows I'm not driven by anything to do with ego. Every time someone wants to accuse me of shooting a big bow to impress others I mostly laugh, but a small part of me wants to engage in a conversation to see why the hell it matters to them anyway?

It's just too easy to sit behind a computer and throw comments at people and not take the time to understand. If anyone who told me I was a wanker for shooting heavy (ish) bows actually spent any time understanding just how much time I invest in my physical wellbeing and my archery they'd have a better idea.

Same as someone who shoots a lighter bow. What if they had a horrible accident and they can't pull a heavier bow?

It's like anything. If it's legal and reasonable to assume the person is conducting themselves ethically and with integrity, have at it.

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #84 on: February 12, 2022, 09:03:30 AM »
I don't understand why anyone even worries about what anyone else shoots for weight . I shoot what I can shoot well (well ,as well as possible)  when I'm cold . It's 47@28 if anyone cares.  45 years of concrete and steel has not been good for my structure.

Rock on and shoot whatever you shoot well and don't worry about the other guy! :thumbsup:
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #85 on: February 12, 2022, 09:29:26 AM »
My replies were erased like one without explanation. :dunno:

At the very bottom of the page is a user agreement section which you signed off on when you joined.. I suggest you read it over.

Here is a part of it.

TradGang.com is 100% totally devoted to traditional bowhunting. The 3 goals of Tradgang.com are as follows ...

1. To offer a free public access website for those that love the sport of hunting with traditional archery equipment - i.e., selfbows, longbows, and recurves.

2. To create a friendly atmosphere to all. Dedicated to the discussion of all topics that relate to traditional bowhunting.

3. To offer methods of sharing contact information and site links for traditional archery manufacturers, vendors, services and organizations - good folks that have their hearts and souls poured into the sport.

Expect to be respected if you decide to join the gang, because the rule of respect is held highest of the few rules that apply. Tradgang.com has a zero tolerance for disrespect directed to anyone in the gang. If you want to disagree, then please do so in an adult manner. Debate is healthy, as one sword sharpens another, but it must be done in an honorable fashion.

"We do not allow negative or "bashing" public topics or posts of any kind or manner. This applies to EVERYTHING, from people to commercial vendors, products or services.
"

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #86 on: February 12, 2022, 09:32:46 AM »
I could care less what weight a guy shoots.

It's better a guy hunts with a weight he can handle accurately than try to hunt with too much weight and wound an animal.

I'm an old fart and 40 # is what I shoot when hunting.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #87 on: February 12, 2022, 10:47:15 AM »
It always amazes me that this discussion over draw weight is never put to rest. It is pretty simple - some like heavy bows while some prefer lighter draw weights. It doesn't matter what a person's rationale happens to be, it is simply his choice. Most tend to accept this, but the discussion should simply go away. Not because some rule says it is inappropriate, but because we recognize and support an individual's choice. Personal choice balanced by personal ethics are the only relevant factors, at least in my opinion.
Sam

Offline GCook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #88 on: February 12, 2022, 11:24:33 AM »
Part of my motivation for this thread and the video, to be honest. Anyone who knows me personally knows I'm not driven by anything to do with ego. Every time someone wants to accuse me of shooting a big bow to impress others I mostly laugh, but a small part of me wants to engage in a conversation to see why the hell it matters to them anyway?

It's just too easy to sit behind a computer and throw comments at people and not take the time to understand. If anyone who told me I was a wanker for shooting heavy (ish) bows actually spent any time understanding just how much time I invest in my physical wellbeing and my archery they'd have a better idea.

Same as someone who shoots a lighter bow. What if they had a horrible accident and they can't pull a heavier bow?

It's like anything. If it's legal and reasonable to assume the person is conducting themselves ethically and with integrity, have at it.
I don't disagree but I know a person or two who are over bowed.  It causes them to shoot less accurately/consistent than they are capable of and I'm not the only person who has seen and mentioned it regarding those people.
And it matters not when it is an inanimate target we shoot at.
When it is an animal, it matters.  Too much or too little it matters.
Where that line is we should all strive to be honest with ourselves.
I can afford to shoot most any bow I like.  And I like Primal Tech bows.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #89 on: February 12, 2022, 12:58:16 PM »
I could care less what weight a guy shoots.

It's better a guy hunts with a weight he can handle accurately than try to hunt with too much weight and wound an animal.

I'm an old fart and 40 # is what I shoot when hunting.

THIS ^^^^^^^^^
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©