Author Topic: 2022 what did you do today?  (Read 80250 times)

Online Bryan Adolphe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: 2022 what did you do today?
« Reply #1080 on: September 05, 2022, 03:19:13 PM »
  Very nice veneers well done   :notworthy:

Offline Mad Max

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1081 on: September 05, 2022, 04:28:08 PM »
Not big enough, is it.... :bigsmyl:

I ended up with 18 veneers, I guess I forgot the first 4, so I did make a mistake Pat :tongue:
I would rather fail at something above my means, than to succeed at something  beneath my means  
}}}}===============>>

Online Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1082 on: September 05, 2022, 10:24:04 PM »
Bet ya had to do a lot of rubbing with that magic rub...

I wonder if that thing would work on an arthritic thumb joint? I could use some magic rub today.... this finish sanding is killing me....

Offline Mad Max

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1083 on: September 05, 2022, 10:41:31 PM »
That black and white has a nice look :thumbsup:
I would rather fail at something above my means, than to succeed at something  beneath my means  
}}}}===============>>

Online Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1084 on: September 05, 2022, 11:00:21 PM »
Well i figured you guys might like a few specs and photos of the whole bow. She's in the spray booth right now, but here are a few pics on the tiller tree after i finish sanded the limbs..    AMO 62"  Bare Foot "B" riser (19.5") #2 limbs  (21"), 60" string . 7.25" brace, 43.32 @ 28"   ( btw... i ran a par instead of a .001 taper on this one due to the draw weight getting below 45# for better stability)..... look at the string angle at full draw on this thing.... It's going to be smooth getting off the string on this baby.

Just for fun......I did one other slight alteration in these limbs.... Can anyone spot the difference between my SS RC or other Bare RC limbs i've built?   i'll be curious to hear what you see.

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1085 on: September 06, 2022, 12:25:59 AM »
Kirk, that's a stunning bow. Looks and functional beauty.  :thumbsup:
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Buemaker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1086 on: September 06, 2022, 02:48:47 AM »
Looking good. Do you use tip wedges when there is no taper?

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1087 on: September 06, 2022, 05:02:22 AM »
Very nice Kirk.

Offline Appalachian Hillbilly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1088 on: September 06, 2022, 07:05:13 AM »
Finally got back into the shop last night. Finished a few limbs, automotive cleared and finished the bow in the middle. Got the riser in the left ready to clear this week.
It has full end grain overlays on belly and back and carbon fiber end caps. I reduced the grip size a little as well.

Offline Mad Max

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1089 on: September 06, 2022, 08:39:36 AM »
Looking good Hillbilly :thumbsup:

Can't really find any good pictures to compare on your website Kirk?
None on the tiller tree, maybe less bend mid limb at brace :dunno:
}}}}===============>>

Online Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1090 on: September 06, 2022, 10:18:32 AM »
Looking good. Do you use tip wedges when there is no taper?

Bingo! That is it Buemaker! 

Typically I always use tip wedges on this limbs design.  but this one, being a par layup, with a 28” draw at lighter draw weight, I decided to just use the exterior overlay and leave the internal tip wedge out. If you look real closely you can see the hooks are opening up just a wee bit at full draw….. not much… but just a tad bit.

Kirk
Big Foot Bows
Traditional Archery
[email protected]
http://bigfootbows.com/b/bows/

Online Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1091 on: September 06, 2022, 10:25:06 AM »
Looking good Hillbilly :thumbsup:

Can't really find any good pictures to compare on your website Kirk?
None on the tiller tree, maybe less bend mid limb at brace :dunno:

Here is a 62” Sasquatch SS Special you can compare the limbs to. This one has tip wedges and recurve overlays  both… but… this bow is being drawn a full 32”. Keeping the limbs static is a serious advantage at longer draw lengths and helps maintain a flatter string angle.   Kirk

https://photos.app.goo.gl/rohCABKZmcgLt6Q37
Big Foot Bows
Traditional Archery
[email protected]

Online Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1092 on: September 06, 2022, 10:34:03 AM »
Finally got back into the shop last night. Finished a few limbs, automotive cleared and finished the bow in the middle. Got the riser in the left ready to clear this week.
It has full end grain overlays on belly and back and carbon fiber end caps. I reduced the grip size a little as well.

Looks to me like you are experimenting with different riser shapes. Good looking wood combo’s there too.  I like the one on the far left the best.

If I could make a suggestion for you to try without criticizing your work at all, I would recommend adding some length to your risers and lengthen the limb pads about 1/2”.   I think you would be pleased with the results.

What is the riser length on the one on the left?    Kirk
Big Foot Bows
Traditional Archery
[email protected]

Online Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1093 on: September 06, 2022, 10:50:43 AM »
Here ya go max…. I found another 62” Bare Foot “B”with #2 limbs to compare it to that has tip wedges. Only this one is being drawn to 31”. This riser was my original design with no hardware. I’ve changed that to using a bow bolt that gives the archer some tiller adjustment capability.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/jHfsEZx4BA94w4jy5

Big Foot Bows
Traditional Archery
[email protected]

Offline Mad Max

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1094 on: September 06, 2022, 12:49:09 PM »
Yeah a tip wedge will push the limbs forward  between mid limb and the recurve a little  :thumbsup:
}}}}===============>>

Offline Appalachian Hillbilly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1095 on: September 06, 2022, 01:04:04 PM »

Looks to me like you are experimenting with different riser shapes. Good looking wood combo’s there too.  I like the one on the far left the best.

If I could make a suggestion for you to try without criticizing your work at all, I would recommend adding some length to your risers and lengthen the limb pads about 1/2”.   I think you would be pleased with the results.

What is the riser length on the one on the left?    Kirk

Those are all 16" risers, 3 1/2" limb pads, 60" bows.

I have made a few 17 and 18" risers and a few with 4 inch limb pads. The one on the left was an impulse yesterday.  Wanted something with a little more flare to it than the rounded backs.

The one on the right is the bow I shoot the most. Everything from shelf cut to window cut, grip size, just works very  well for me.

I dropped down to 16 " riser because I was going to try a shorter bow, 56-58 ish.

I could easily go back to a 4 inch limb pad and step up in riser length and keep the limb bolts in the same place.

I do like the shape of the one on the far left the best. The wife, my greatest critic likes the other ones because she hates edges and sharp lines.....go figure.

I am getting good speed with these and believe I have my wedge configuration like I want it now. Thinned the wedge down from .400 to .345-.350 a d kept the length. It helped with stacking on the back end.

Thanks for the critique and advice!
« Last Edit: September 06, 2022, 01:39:07 PM by Appalachian Hillbilly »

Online Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1096 on: September 07, 2022, 12:58:12 AM »
With the same wedge configuration and bolt location you could go from a 16” to a 17” and just lengthen the limb pads to 4”.  This will give you room to make a radius shape similar to the belly ramp shape of a one piece instead of angular.

This extra length will push your working limb out a wee bit further and help your string angle a wee bit too.  That’s how you make advancement in your bow design is splitting hairs. Enough hairs pile up and you start seeing a bigger difference….. one bow at at time…. Just be sure and keep a detailed bowyers log, and only change one thing at a time.

I do this belly ramp shape on most of my riser designs because I like the looks of it most. 

As far as different length bows go. A trick I learned while developing ILF limbs was that staying with 17” 19”, and 21” riser lengths and just building #2 and #3 length limbs on the same form using a different wedge length, and stop location. You can maintain your limb dynamics and performance pretty consistently from 60” to 66” bow lengths to accommodate different draw lengths. You could go down to a 15” riser too, but they are not very popular.

Food for thought….

Kirk
Big Foot Bows
Traditional Archery
[email protected]

Offline Mad Max

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1097 on: September 07, 2022, 07:36:24 AM »
  ( btw... i ran a par instead of a .001 taper on this one due to the draw weight getting below 45# for better stability).

Using a Parallel verses a .001 stack taper your limb thickness at the recurve is thicker, I can see that helping stability.
A couple questions about Recurves
What is your glass width (1-3/4") and width taper shape on the limbs?
Also how long is the width taper?
I'm guessing you working limb is around 18"?
With your butt wedge being .025 taper you should be bending about 4-1/2"/5" of it?

}}}}===============>>

Offline Buggs

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Beware the simian swine jockey
« Reply #1098 on: September 07, 2022, 09:18:07 AM »
That Sassquat is wild looking :thumbsup: 
It also looks huge! How much does that weigh? I think I would need to hire a caddy to hump it thru the woods for me :laughing:
Ooo, who, who hangs free

Online Bryan Adolphe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1099 on: September 07, 2022, 12:30:38 PM »
Bet ya had to do a lot of rubbing with that magic rub...

I wonder if that thing would work on an arthritic thumb joint? I could use some magic rub today.... this finish sanding is killing me....

Kirk that’s a pretty wicked looking stick  :archer2: very nice !

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©